New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

acs102
Snake Mite

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2011 :  04:31:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it possible for a younger snake to not "know" how to shed? I think Meshuggah is lacking that instinct. He started going into shed over 2 weeks ago. Got very dull and blue looking last week (I'm actually surprised he ate), and just sat in his skin all of this week. I misted him several times and finally yesterday I took him out to check him over and it was obvious that the skin should have been off. So I soaked him and it rubbed off very easily, he would have had no problem doing it himself. It's not a big deal, I don't mind helping the little guy out. But it just seems a bit odd. Lazy snake, perhaps?

It looks like he started earlier in the week, but it was like he got bored with it or something and stopped.

Bath time!

After

Everything else has been fabulous since I posted last(http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4865), he has eaten a mouse every week since I got him. Haven't seen a mite since his oil bath and they didn't spread to our milk snake. His scales seem to be growing back nicely as well.

Edited by - acs102 on 20/02/2011 04:32:41

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2011 :  10:36:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He looks lovely. It might of been a problem shed due to previous oil treatment. Snakes don't hydrate through their skin though.
Bathing helps separate old from new but proving the correct humidity between sheds and then upping it slightly with the use of damp moss or spaying the viv (not the snake) should be all that's needed.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2011 :  11:55:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tig seemed a bit dim when I first got him. He would kinda half-heartingly rub against the plastic of his faunarium and would avoid the bark or moss I give him. He flat out refused to rub his head at all and for a long time I always had to help him get the skin off, especialy off his eyes. These days he's much better and seems to have got the idea. His sheds are still not great, but the skin comes off in bigger peices now and at least he knows to rub against the bark instead!

How old is he? Maybe he just needs to learn like Tig did? Or maybe Tig is just different X )

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  08:10:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I`d say your humidity is far to low.
I`ve found that the humidity in my house is much lower over the colder months because of the central heating. So when i see mine going into shed i just put a couple of wet flannels in with them and that solves the problem.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  11:18:25  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Humidity is a key factor in shedding easily I provide a damp box in the cool area all the time and when I notice the start of a shed I increase the humidity for a few days by light misting 3 or 4 times a day.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000