New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Strawb
Yearling

Germany
120 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  07:37:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to let people know about the latest on my royal Tia. She ate her first frozen mouse yesterday. She had always been fed live mice, which seems to be standard procedure here in Germany, so I was worried I would have to continue this trend. I de-frosted a medium mouse and then lay it on the radiator for 15 minutes prior to feeding her to give it an ŽaliveŽ body temp.
Now I usually feed my corn snake and king snake by hand. Just dangle the mouse by the tail and they either grab it quickly or look at me as if to say "lay it down there dear chap, I'll have it later." Tia is another matter all together.
Now I'd seen the odd video of people feeding their royals on this forum. I noticed the use of tongs and thought ok I'll use these tweezers that I have lying here. I picked the mouse up and wiggled it around about a foot or so in front of Tia. She moved very slowly towards it tongue flicking and seemed to be interested. She was still at least 10" away from the proffered when she just launched herself. She hit the thing like a freight train.
She dropped it. I picked it up again, she tried again, missed and then got it on the third attempt. where it was very quickly wrapped up and then eaten.
Now my other snakes tend to strike at the mouse when their noses are virtually on it. I was not prepared to have a snake fly across the viv at it. Suffice to say I was not alone in my trousers.
I am now going to by some tongs of a decent length.
Well that's my up date. She's happy and eating.

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  08:39:01  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thats brilliant news, well done!
Now go wash your trousers!!!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  11:41:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats - certainly sounds like she's settled with you and that's great about the transfer from live to defrost - some of them won't without a struggle.

LOL - her feeding mode sounds extremely ...er...enthusiastic!

My corns sometimes go into total feeding frenzy (Google a youtube clip entitled 'creamsicle corn goes crazy' and you get the idea. I've even known them bite themselves because they're all coiled up round the mouse and they can't find it!) Shahi wallops into his mouse like a cobra, but I've never seen a snake charge like a rhino - that must have been quite something!

You sure need some long feeding tongs! I find they're cheaper from kitchenware stores, and I like the ones with soft plastic grips, because then if the snake bangs its nose on the tongs when striking, it's not hitting metal.

Long may she continue to feed like that for you!

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  14:51:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe