Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Royal Scandal
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  10:33:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone

Jessie has been in a plastic rearing box for a while now and we are considering putting her into her vivarium in the near future. Currently, her rearing box is inside her vivarium (wooden), but secured so she lives only in the rearing box.

There is a heat mat underneath her rearing box, so she is separated from it by the plastic floor of the box and a layer of tissue paper.

Once we put her into the vivarium, the only thing separating her from her heat mat will be a layer of substrate. Considering this, whats to stop her from slithering about and moving the substrate so that she comes into contact with the heat mat on the floor of the viv? How does it work that you have a snake and a heat mat in close proximity, separated only by substrate, and they do not come into contact and burn themselves?

Also, does anyone recommend a certain type of substrate as the best?

Theres no hurry for putting her into her viv as she is still only little, but for future reference any help with this would be appreciated.

0.1.0 Royal Python, Jessie

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  10:47:28  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, when moving into the vivarium it would be better to use a guarded heat bulb instead of the heat mat.

Personally I prefer Aspen (of if you can get it (Equestrian type shops sell it) Aubiose - its very cheap)

Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  11:20:30  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wholly agree with BE I use guarded infra red lamps with a dimmer stat, I always use Aspen as bedding and if you buy it in big bales it works out quite a lot cheaper than buying the small bags

Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  11:34:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a guarded bulb in my viv but was considering a heat mat at one point but like you was worried about burns etc so I was going to put a couple of ceramic floor tiles on the heat mat (just like underfloor heating in the home) so if you decide to go down the heat mat road maybe thats something for you to consider.

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  14:54:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you set it up as BE and Robert have suggested there is absolutely no need to use a heat mat. You will just be adding extra cost for no benefits.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  15:09:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put my smaller ones in vivs with heat mats and use "wall lining paper" from B&Q,(the stat goes under the paper) 1 roll will last approx 1 year and costs £5. It all depends on whether you want to spend more money or not, substrate does nothing to enhance the snakes life and is more of a visual enhancement for the owners in my opinion. your Viv will still look good and is far easier to keep clean.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

The Royal Scandal
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  22:08:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies guys. Jessie will be pleased, I'll get her viv set up properly and she can move into it within the month!

0.1.0 Royal Python, Jessie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000