Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Strawb
Yearling

Germany
120 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  07:17:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,
After my serious thread about CB, WF etc, I thought I'd lighten the tone a bit. Everybody has tales to tell of their reptiles strange antics.
I personally would love to hear stories about any eccentric habits your herps may have.
Carla, my California king snake, insists on hibernating under our computer cabinet. She cannot rest in her viv even with lowered temps. She usually slides under there in November and comes out again in February. I've had her for about 6 years and it has had absolutely no ill effects on her. She also likes to wander around my office and when she's had enough she goes back in her viv.
Maybe it's being associated with a brothel that's had this effect on her.
So let us know of any crazy chameleons or barmy boas out there.

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  10:51:26  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
bullet has a few, both involve him falling asleep lol, he either likes to get himsef on top of the sofa cussions and fal asleep on top of them, and will not move for ages, or he likes to wrap himself round the laprop near the vent and fall asleep.
monty has a wierd obsession with hair, he likes to sit on your head and try and bury himself in you hair, weirdo!!
bow doesn't really have any obsesions, apart from being nosey and always periscoping or sitting with her head at the front of the tank to see whats going on, shes the normal one lol

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  12:59:21  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Scar likes to squeeze between my head and my glasses and push them off my face.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  19:28:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bit cream-crackered at the moment as the great snake makeover in the house is taking longer than I thought, but couldn't resist this thread.

I have 8 snakes and all are more eccentric than I am, which is saying something.

There's Saffron, the butter corn, who in hot weather likes to roam round the yard, drink out of a watering can and then take a massive dump in the pond (I nearly typed pong - just hope she doesn't gas the goldfish!)

Spooky, ghost corn, whose body language is nearly equivalent to speech (armchair walkies please, Lil!) and whose chief ambition is to go deep sea diving in aforementioned pond ... best exercised outside before Saffy ...

Surahi, the eldest royal, who likes to go to sleep coiled tightly round my neck. A huggy girl...just glad she's not a boa ...

Buffy, senior corn, whose chief ambition is to find a human lap on which to take a dump. You do NOT agree to her demands for armchair walkies until the danger point is passed! (Unless someone somewhere can devise a corn snake nappy ...) Buffy is also notable for reaching down from a climbing branch and grabbing a mouse ...right at that moment she coiled, which meant she zapped back heavenward like a bungee jumper, didn't affect her appetite though.

Shahi, his royal highness (royal tree python.) My first royal, very special, very reserved, quirky and gorgeous ... and he knows it!

Saada, middle royal, who balls up and hides her head if you disturb her - then a moment later a bright eye appears, a tongue flicks ... this girl is a little poser and charmer!

Spider, anery corn, who comes zooming across the viv if you tap on the window track. This girl got rhythm...

And Cy. A year old now. Still very tiny. A Miami corn who hatched with only one eye, so, as they said at the shop, she's a funny feeder because she can't see her food...

Uhh? Snakes don't need to see their food!

She does. I once tried everything to coax her to eat, and you should have seen her when I brought her out of the conventional 'dim and private' setting into full light. ('At last, Lil, can see the mouse now!' Grab!) She's still an odd feeder, but a right little character.

I always laugh at the term 'normal'. No snake in this house is normal ...

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  19:38:29  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Lmao bats, so its true pets take after their owners?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  19:46:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Lmao bats, so its true pets take after their owners?

LOL - in my case it is - you ain't heard nothing yet - I never started telling about the cats!

Hah, you've got room to talk - your lot sound pretty eccentric!

Edited by - n/a on 21/02/2011 19:57:33
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  19:58:03  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think most are, its because were so used to seeing them sit and sleep we get excited when they actually do something, last feeding day I thought scar had died, hes old but I hoped id get a bit longer out of him, he didnt move so I waved the rat at him, he didnt move so I poked his tail, he still didnt move so I nudged his nose with the rat and yet he still didn't move! I was so sure he'd died I was ready to go prepare his funeral when I thought, screw it! And placed the floppy dead rat ontop of him, he moved so slightly, almost looking at the rat with disdain before very, very slowly crawling away to another corner, presumably to get away from the git who kept poking him with dead animals.... Needless to say he missed another feed

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  20:06:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww poor old Scar - he's only teenage! Thought they lived to be 30-40 years!

He's in the non-feeding club too, is he? My girls are, still, but I snuck Cy's tiny refused mouse under Shahi's nose today ...and it vanished. Shahi says he nose nothing about it ...

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  21:52:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spot my cornsnake will only ever drink fresh water, and by fresh I mean he comes out when I take the day old water out and waits for the fresh water bowl to be put in his viv and straight away goes for a drink. He also likes to make me look stupid by sitting in his hammock watching me while I search his hides. If he really doesn't fancy coming out he goes and sit in the bulb guard (its not used apart from finding the smelly stuff) and just pokes his head out like 'you can't get me'.

I haven't really had Duke long enough to know all his quirks, he's too quiet. I do know that everytime I go to put him back in the viv he leans right back in an attempt to get on top of the viv instead and grabs hold of things with his tail on the way out.

Alfie my dog thinks he is a real boy.

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  22:18:16  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My dogs are far madder than my snakes but Flo has some cute habits, like above, she loves fresh water, particularly a running tap, I have to hold her tight to stop her throwing herself at the tap while i change her water. She also loves our leather sofa, my lap isnt good enough, she wants to be behind me on the leather!

Just got a boa who seems to like to hang off a branch while resting his chin on another branch quite a distance away. Only had him a day so getting to know him still!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

acs102
Snake Mite

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  22:20:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meshuggah (royal) enjoys wrapping himself around the thermometer in his tank and then falling off of it in a ball. He would do this for hours before I put some wood in there for him to climb on. He also likes to "kill" his already dead food for about 10 minutes before eating it. The little beast.

Roxy's (milk snake) favorite place to hide is in the pocket or hood of whatever hoodie I'm wearing. She also likes the sleeves. She often goes in one sleeve, goes up around my shoulders, and out the other one.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  11:38:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - I'm not the only one with wacky reptiles then. I've remembered something else too. My cornsnakes, these shy wild denizens of rural America (and not so rural) go mad at cleaning out time. I've lost count of the times I've tried to wield spatula, F10 spray and kitchen roll while fending off an inquisitive corn. It's not feeding response or viv-defensiveness - it's downright nosiness - worse than cats!

I know we must always be aware that snakes are 'wild animals' but this can be a bit difficult at times!

Edited by - n/a on 22/02/2011 11:39:03
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Yearling

United Kingdom
192 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  14:11:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Max the monitor loves lightbulbs. He pulled the guard down in his viv (...i really dont know how since it was screwed in!) and burned his paws and his neck a little. All healed now though
He also likes to try and bite the non-bulb end when they need replacing!
He'll scratch on his viv doors until somebody opens them, so he'll come out for a wander then climb up onto somebody and fall asleep.
That lizard is loopy!

Go to Top of Page

The Royal Scandal
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  12:17:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont know how unusual this is, but Jessie (who hasnt shed yet and doesnt look like she is about to) spends an awful lot of time in her moss box. The other day she was found having tipped it over and distributed the moss all around her house the little minx!

0.1.0 Royal Python, Jessie
Go to Top of Page

MontyBoa
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2011 :  15:37:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Monty has many crazy habbits...
- Climbing to the top of the tank, not realising he cant get down so he'll fall down, almost like he's purposfully nose diving!
- When he is out, he likes to either hide in my slippers with my feet as company or go down my partners top and bury into his armpits! must be the hair lol!
- Yawning at weird times, like when in the middle of a drink so he goes mental about it!
and many more :)

Go to Top of Page

JanieW
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2011 :  11:53:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slinky our Royal, loves to stretch out on the duvet, up close to Katana (my daughter)
Gimli the Beardie wakes me up by tapping on the glass, then waits to be hand fed
Feanor the Boa is just plain nosey..havn't had him long enough for him to develop his quirks lol

Gimli and Slinks were the 1st arrivals on the 10th Dec

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Bert (Staffy) , named after Tolkien's stone Troll
Popeye, African Grey
Gimli (Son Of Gloin), Baby Beardie
Slinky, Baby Royal Python
Fëanor..Baby Mexican Common Boa
Casper 2011 Male Ghost Corn Snake **RIP**
Hoard of Orcs (Dubia Roach Colony)
Pearl & Ivory--African Giant Albino Land Snails
Ra, Taiwanese Beauty Snake
Henry, Western Hognose *Missing*
Pippin, Coastal X Diamond Carpet Python
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Flake, Calico male royal, Eowyn, Arabesque Boa
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2011 :  15:03:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow that's a blast from the past lol. Bats needs to update, so do I actually.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2011 :  16:38:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - Bob, you've tempted me ...

Yes, a month after that post I acquired Missy (Mistletoe), a very pretty snow stripe yearling corn with, as her breeder said, 'a bit of an attitude problem.' Good on him for being so honest; he could have charged more and said nothing about her temperament but he wanted her to go to an experienced person. I didn't count myself as that experienced but I bought her. She was like a little whirlwind - feisty, tail rattling, threshing, striking, if you so much as looked at her. Greedy though. Eventually she calmed down, I truly don't know why. Perhaps she'd been living in a rub, so being in a viv where she could watch the presence who brought her food, and therefore recognise me more as a bringer of mice than a menace, changed her mind perhaps? You've only to change her water and a hopeful head pops out - 'where's me mouse then?'

A while after that came Shiloh, a hatchling caramel motley corn who'd been eating well and then stopped for a month when she reached me. I ended up assisting her with pieces of mouse tail. She was very good about it. I think when you have to help an animal like this the bond is stronger. After 3 assists she took her first pinky. Now when I feed her an expectant head whips out of nowhere and grabs. I already have to use tongs. She's a tiger!

After Missy and Shiloh came ...Ziska! Like Shiloh she was couriered to me but before purchase I asked the shop how big she was. Very big for her age (5 months) I was told. 'And with an attitude to match.'

'Oh but,' I said, having dutifully done my research,'it's all bluff with gophers, isn't it?'

'Not with this one.'

Reader, I bought her. And, reader, the shop was right. She's a little sod! Love her dearly though!

Then came Shiva, another royal python, a cb09 normal whose family had to part with him as one of them turned out to be phobic. Shiva settled in straight away and I'm not sure what he thinks he is, but I'm certain he doesn't see himself as a 'normal' royal python.

He'd been fed by the shop on mice, but, despite many adult royals becoming addicted to mice and being hard to switch to rats, the first time he saw a rat he struck and took! He likes me to dance the rat about and give it a little wiggle once he's gripped it. Apparently he's a US import so I wonder if he has fed on live rats in the states and needs to 'kill' his meal before eating.

He doesn't seem to have heard of fasting. He loves his grub, and his temperament is utterly soppy, apart from when he's in rat-killer mode. The shop he came from is in the north-west, very close to a large importer from BHB; naturally I toy with the notion that Shiva may have been bred as a possible het, who didn't prove out, and been imported as a pet. Although, with his sweet temperament, I can't possibly entertain myself with the daydream that, at one point in his past, he may have actually bitten Chewy ...

Lastly - Shadrach. With the advent of Ziska I'd fallen in love with the genus pituophis - bull, gopher and pine snakes. Shadrach is a 6 month old pine and I was looking forward to another naughty, feisty tail rattling snake. I was to be disappointed. Shadrach has never heard of the famous feisty pit temperament. In fact I'm not sure who or what Shadrach thinks he is. Soppy as a royal, placid as a corn, sociable as a little familiar (very very familiar!) I think, when he's older, Shadrach may decide he's a cat and spend his whole life in my lap ...

Yup, all snakes are eccentric!

Edited by - n/a on 27/12/2011 16:56:45
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000