New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

curiouslyfacinated
Yearling

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2011 :  23:01:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep reading about snakes sleeping when they are being handled and out generally.how do you know they are asleep? is it when their tongues stop going in and out or does that mean something else?

1.0.0 Normal Royal Python Loki
1.1.0 Cats Daisy and Benson

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2011 :  23:15:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, someone asked this question a while back, and I said that I didn't know either; I assumed it was impossible to tell as they have no eyelids, and they were so super-alert that the faintest whisper of vibration would wake them. Mine often relax completely in my sweater or round my neck and I assume they're asleep ...well, they seem to be asleep at any rate lol.

However, since then I've picked up Ziska for inspection on a couple of occasions, and she's been totally passive. She's a snake that in the wild will mimic a rattlesnake; it's in her nature, and oh boy she does, even when she wants my company. Usually. But I've known me dig in the substrate for her and lift her out, and she's lain quietly in my hands until ...hooossshhh!!! And she's been mad!

I swear that snake was fast asleep, and I woke her up. Can't really blame her for her reaction.

Go to Top of Page

hannah2016
Hatchling

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2011 :  10:28:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^ flicka sometimes just lays in my hands and stops with her tongue, untill I poke her and she kinda jumps lol never though she could have been asleep, guess its possible...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000