New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  20:17:00  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Having brought a new boa into the house and discovered that amongst other issues of neglect, he also has mites, I decided to research the treatments available. Torn between frontline and biological control using predatory mites, I went for the latter.

Roberts sticky on Hypoaspis miles, a form of mite that munches on the snake mite seemed a good way of dealing with it and i have to thank Robert for such a great post which i have just followed to the word.

Boris, (boa BCI) has just got out of his water bowl and is oblivious to the little critters on him so I'm confident that he will let them eat their way through the army of snake mites. There doesn't seem to be too many but I'm aware how fast they breed.

The tricky bit is keeping them away from Flo, so far she is fine and I'm hoping i have been strict enough with my quarantine, even to the point of washing clothing after spending time in the room where Boris is in. Never been this OCD about anything before!

So, Hopefully this will be another success for the hypoaspis.
I will let you know how things go.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan

Edited by - Royalbob on 18/03/2011 12:08:49

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  20:27:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard they are great and quick and best of all, no chemicals. I hope your quarantine holds.

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  23:06:38  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks LB, so do i, this has been a very draining week and i dont want flo going through it too.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  08:54:57  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i hope it works for you, i have heard good things about them, plus like lb sed, no chemicals, no getting the royals stressed with all the nadling and bathing, and you dont have to do much so stressless for you as well. good luck and within no time hopefully the little beeps will be gone

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  10:58:41  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Sandi, keep them well apart and ensure and keep doing what you are doing in terms of clealiness, always dealing with the snake with mites last. remember to keep the mites moist and the snake on white kitchen towel so that you can check progress. I know it works as I have treated two snakes so far, good luck and keep me informed.

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  20:40:50  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Robert, I'm doing exactly that. I have noticed that the hypo mites are now on Boris and more active after spraying with water so i can only assume that they are doing their stuff. My impatiens is killing me but im being patient!

Will keep you updated.

Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  15:46:21  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It does need patience as it takes longer than chemical treatments but it does work and I have had no return following this treatment, I do like the idea of keeping chemical off my snakes. The hypos will also get to areas like nostrils and around the eyes which is good. You'll probably find that he will shed more often and it might not be a clean shed, this is normal for a snake with mites so don't worry just up the humidity a little if you see signs of a shed.

Edited by - Robert on 27/02/2011 18:23:09
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  21:25:12  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah, ok , thanks for that, Apparently he shed about 3 weeks ago so not expecting a shed for a while yet.
I have noticed no signs of the snake mites for the past 2 days, seems too soon to say its worked but im taking it as a good sign.

The other thing i have noticed is that he has not been bathing for 2 days either. Prior to this, he was permanently in his water bowl. Another good sign.

Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  09:43:16  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That all sounds very promising :) keep those hypos going for as long as you can :)

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  16:21:21  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, its been 2 weeks now and the hypos seem to be gone which i thought was due to the lack of food, ie the mites had all been eaten. Sadly, this isnt the case. Perhaps a few eggs had been missed and just emerged as i saw 2 mites on my hand when i picked boris up.

There cant be many as i have seen none in the viv generaly sinse puting the hypos in. What to do next is my quandry?

Frontline?

Will bath him with oil and see if it helps, then perhaps frontline.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  16:40:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard good reports of Callington mite spray. As long as you take the water dish out, you can spray the viv with this, and then return the snake after the prescribed period.

I think Blackskull knows a lot about this, and as his partner's a vet nurse they have a bit more info on it?

Sorry to hear about the mites. Nasty little gits! Hex 'em, eh?

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  21:41:41  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hex them indeed!
Think i saw that spray somewhere but its hard to know which one is safe. Frontline at least has BE's recomendation but interested to hear what blackskull may know on the subject???

Poor boris is still in quarantine and im desperate to get rid of these little gits!

Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  21:50:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was going to use frontline but you have to be carefull not to get it around the eyes or heat pits

i used callington mite spray, you just remove snake and water spray the viv leave for twenty mins then put snake back but leave water out for 24 hours. you can get it from most on line rep supplies and e bay think prices range between 14 and 19 quid. but if you have a jollies pet store near you they sell it, well at least my local store did and the price tag was 5.99, bargin if its marked up right

i only needed one treatment of it in both my snakes and it worked a treat. i now treat any new bits i put in my vivs with it. might b a bit of over kill but better safe than sorry

i also sprayed frontline over the carpets arond the vivs

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy

Edited by - blackskull on 09/03/2011 21:53:08
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  10:23:49  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks blackscull. I will definitly go look for some this weekend. I'm hoping to start building his new viv as well so he will have a nice clean home to go to soon. Will use the spray as a preventative treatment in that.

Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  17:42:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i also used newspaper for substrate for a while until i knew the mites were gone, easyier to see them

0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  17:50:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone on here (sorry can't recall who it is offhand) used B&Q lining paper, which is just like unprinted newspaper - I imagine that would show up any stray little dastard ...

Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  19:06:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the spray wroks really fast too. i sat there watchin the little sods die lol

0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  20:32:59  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool. I use kitchen towel at the moment to show the blighters up!

That is fast, i like the idea of watching them die....they have got to me and i need vengance!!!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  20:42:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't that a MITE sadistic lol?

Not!!

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  08:24:22  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought you MITE say that!!!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  11:05:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol!

You know, there's an old folk remedy for pests ... you simply request them to leave ... and they go.

I find it works with wasps, though not with bluebottles, grr!

This isn't just in my imagination - the writer Josephine Saxton says the same. She also advocates posting notices, although this didn't work with her slugs and snails, probably because, as she says, molluscs are accustomed to reading plant labels to see what's on the menu, and can only read in Latin ...

Good luck with the mite zapping!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000