New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

squiggy88
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  14:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so i have today embarked on getting my first royal hes awesom i got a starter tank with him heat mat, thermostat, hide and water bowl n some greenary so his tank is pretty busy....what now? do i need anything else? as i no there more complicated than corns

thanks

sam

Amel Corn - Rocky
Ghost Corn - Snowy
GoldDust Corn - Sparkey
Royal - Kahn - RIP
Chihuahua - Harvey
Jack Russel - Trigger
Springer Spaniel - Kobi
Sports Horse - Barney

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  15:02:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
congratulations, you really need two hides one at both ends. You can use anything from cardboard box to ones you buy in rep shops, nice and small so snakey feels secure.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Snecklifter
Yearling

United Kingdom
144 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  15:07:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The care sheet available by clicking on the link from the home page explains pretty much everything you need to know in basic terms. After you've read that you can then submit endless posts asking why your snake is refusing to eat, shed or poop, as we all seem to do as new owners... ;-)

0.0.1 Royal 'Trowzer'
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  15:14:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, what sort of tank is it, and how old is he?

If it's the kind of enclosure such as a rub (really useful box) or faunarium standing on the heat mat, that's fine, although royals like dimness and transparent or light walls are best enclosed (anything from a draped towel to one of those speciality backgrounds for reptile enclosures/aquariums will do.)

If it's a vivarium with the mat inside the enclosure, a slim young royal or any slim snake will be okay on a statted mat, but not an older one. This is because of the royal girth - they are a large bodied snake and may cause thermal blocking even on a statted mat. The mat overheats and unlike a mammal the royal willl not be able to sense this through its belly flesh - all its heat sense is concentrated in the 'pits' below its nostrils, in order to sense prey.

Also, even a young royal may 'flood' a heat mat (unlike corns they save it up for weeks lol.) Heat mats aren't 100% waterproof.

Your setup sounds great - have you got thermometers? You will need to be sure of a cool end temp of 26c and a warm end temp of 32c.

Sorry this is such a screed - royals aren't too complicated and they're lovely snakes!

Hope you enjoy your new royal and congrats on becoming a royal owner. I've probably missed something out - if so just ask - there are loads of people on here who till help - you've come to the right place.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  15:17:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry overlapped - yes, as Hodgie says, two hides - in fact mine have 3 - royals like it crowded.

Go to Top of Page

squiggy88
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  17:34:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hes in a faun with the heat mat outside unterneeth. hes roughtly a foot long and only a baby. seems very inquisitive and even left me a rather large poo all over his hide only 30mins after being in his new home! haha

Amel Corn - Rocky
Ghost Corn - Snowy
GoldDust Corn - Sparkey
Royal - Kahn - RIP
Chihuahua - Harvey
Jack Russel - Trigger
Springer Spaniel - Kobi
Sports Horse - Barney
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  17:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bless him - sounds like he's in good working order!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  20:53:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You got a present 30 minutes after arriving home, thats a good omen lol. They really aren't any more complicated than a corn snake in their setups, a bit more humidity, and about 5 degrees warmer but other than that they need the same stuff, hides, water, bit of foliage for hiding in while they are on the move. I have a very shy royal and a very confident corn so from my point of view the corn is the every day snake and the royal is the when he feels like it snake.

The main difference you will find is the advice to not handle for anything but essential things until you have a few feeds in them, and to leave them a week at least before attempting a feed. And they can (though Duke is so far from this) have a very strong feeding response too so feed with tongs if you are tease feeding.

Thats all I got, I'm a royal newbie and found these little bits of info very useful. Good luck with the nail biting first feed and I look forward to seeing some pics.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000