Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Royal Scandal
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
30 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  13:53:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a general question.

Having read a few things on here about a certain wobble that Spider morphs tend to have, I was curious as to what this is?

Is it a weakness in the Spider gene? How does it affect the snake?

0.1.0 Royal Python, Jessie

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  18:52:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4433&SearchTerms=spider

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  19:22:48  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes its a weakness in the Spider gene, as to how much it affects them, that's only guess work. It can't be pleasant bobbing around like that, but they do also have a tendancy to be good eaters and breeders.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  19:28:41  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've always been under the impression (personal opinion, don't flay me alive) that it's rather cruel to continually breed an animal that was a genetic fault knowing it's gooing to pass on to the offspring.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  19:57:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it isn't a morph I'd deliberately choose, although some don't wobble.

While we're on the subject, what about the Woma? This looks very similar to the spider, but has none of the spider wobble trouble - am I right? (I know it looks very similar to the spider because I once met one and covered myself with embarrassment by saying, 'oh that's a nice spider' ...)

Go to Top of Page

andrew.1994
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  21:44:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard that quite a few royal morphs have a slight tendency to be 'different' such as pied's tend to be lazier than most royals and super cinnamons to be generally aggresive is this true?

1.0.0 Anery Motley Corn
0.1.0 Carolina Corn
0.1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa
1.1.0 Budgies
1.0.0 Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  21:54:26  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've not heard any of those Andrew but it's certainly an interesting thought, I see no reason why it couldn't be true. Looking forward to a reply to that one

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Lancelot
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  19:55:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just seen this vid -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGy4g1qJdpo

Is suppose hash breeding in all animals can bring out genetic flaws :(

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  20:23:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh dear ... wow...wow...wow...WOWW where is it where is it where is it I GOT it!

If that's the only time that snake wobbles, then not too bad, in fact I've heard of other normals/morphs wobbling when feeding and have seen a definite head tremor in my own cf lad before feeding.

But I understand some spiders can scarcely lead a normal life because of this wobble - I do have to say, I couldn't countenance breeding an animal prone to this disorder; also I've read that a non-wobbly spider can produce wobbly offspring, or even develop a wobble later in life ...

It does puzzle me, why did spiders become afflicted with this tremor?

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  20:24:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lancelot

Is suppose hash breeding in all animals can bring out genetic flaws :(

Just take a look at the majority of pedigree dogs, generations of in breeding with the vast majority dying well before their natural time.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  20:25:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my god, I knew there was head wobble but i had no idea it was so bad, thats a total loss of control.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  20:39:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What really PIFFLED me off was an accompanying vid entitled 'understanding the spider wobble'.

That poor little devil was lying there next to its own waste 'oh we're not cleaning tonight' ...

CENSORED!!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  20:43:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw that too, tapping on the side of the lightly frosted tank, their heat pits useless at seeing whats coming the eyes only seeing it once its really close and SHOCK he strikes out.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  20:51:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeh I know - if anyone deserves to get tagged it's that fudger!

And wouldn't it have taken him 2 minutes just to have changed that poor little spide's newspaper ...

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  21:06:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A wimp big time, you just get on with it, let them know getting all huffy and bitey won't stop you doing what you want to do. Duke was wiping his chin on me today, was a little nervous but just let him get on with it must be annoying not having a finger to get an itch with (think a shed is on its way underneath of his tail has gone pink).

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000