New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

noola
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  17:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all i am going to get a royal very soon and was wondering if an exo terra flat large faunarium is a good size for a 2010 hatchling and roughly how long he would last in this , thanx

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  23:08:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Noola. There seem to be a lot of differing opinions over the best size of enclosure for a young royal. I'm not familiar with that particular faunarium, but I tend towards the 'generous size/pack it out with loads of hides and cover' school, whereas other people (more experienced, I must say) will advise on a smaller enclosure as feeling more secure for a royal.

The only quibble I would have with a faunarium is that it's transparent, and royals do like dimness - a vivarium or even a rub (really useful box) is better. Even then I would drape a towel over the rub to make it darker. And always, plenty of hides, even if they're only kitchen roll inners - hatchlings love these.

If you wanted to stick to a faunarium, you could always surround it with one of those reptile/aquarium backings - could look really good and give the snake added privacy.

All the best with your new royal.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  23:15:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You will find it impossible to get ambient temperature and humidity in a faun, they are vented all around the top and any heat will just escape taking any humidity with it. You'd be better off in a RUB, basically a plastic box you convert yourself into a snakey house or my personal favourite is the vivarium, bit more expensive than the other options but look great and I find them so easy to create the right environment in them.

Edited by - Lotabob on 03/03/2011 23:17:12
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  07:45:18  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not much help, but I agree with both the above posts.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000