Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

doogy16
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  21:29:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I'm 16 and always wanted a snake. Definitely a royal, i know corns are good first snakes but i'm not so keen on their tiny heads and i absolutely love the shape of a pythons head :) thats just me being weird i suppose lol. anyway, i'm having a hard time convincing mum, dad is ready to go to the bank and get the cash now, he can sit with me and look at snakes for hours however, mum, not so keen. she says that she wouldn't mind the snake that much really and she's not scared of them but the only thing she won't let me do is put mice in her freezer or worse rats. she hates mice and hates rats even more and she says that the whole thought of having a dead animal next to a frozen pizza would make her sick. i agreed to pay for the food and everything else, including any possible vet bills (my mum is a big fan of 'what if's' hence after 9 years of me riding she barely agreed to a horse) anyway, she said i can have a snake if i buy my own kitchen as she's not gonna let me put dead animals on the counter or in a dish to warm it up or the freezer to store it. well, i'm only 16 so i dont think i can afford a kitchen, any ideas how to convince mum that it really isn't that bad?
Btw, i love this forum :D
Thanks everyone! x

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  21:32:42  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Buy a small frezzer? gotta be a small one somewhere you can keep in your room lol.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  21:34:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use tubs that you cant see through and lock shut so even if you drop them there is no chance of a rat escaping. It sounds odd having rats and mice in the freezer but they are just meat when it comes down to it. You can defrost them away from the crowds too, i have a metal tub I defrost my rats and mice in and it only takes a piece of kitchen roll to cover them. The bigger rats do smell a bit but only once defrosted and wafted under your nose other than that they are a great pet (snakes not the frozen rats. Ratcicles make weird but easy to look after pets), I waited 10+ years to be in a situation I could get some and it was well worth the wait so if it doesn't happen now don't worry your love for snakes wont go away.

Edited by - Lotabob on 07/03/2011 21:36:08
Go to Top of Page

doogy16
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  21:35:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i did think of that but how do i get the mice/rats warm if not allowed in the kitchen? lol. would a hair dryer work? :D
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  21:36:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They defrost just sitting out somewhere for a few hours. I sit mine on top of the vivarium where the heat from the lamp warms them up too.

Go to Top of Page

doogy16
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  21:36:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry the post overlapped. i'm working on mum everyday trying to say tell her that i will buy my own set of lockable boxes, still not convinced ;p
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  21:38:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tell her the story of little Timmy, he wasn''t allowed a snake, he is now on crack. LOL.

Edited by - Lotabob on 07/03/2011 21:38:32
Go to Top of Page

doogy16
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  21:42:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mum's just a generally difficult person to convince to get a pet. i did manage a poodle and a horse lol :) although i only managed a poodle cuz my hamster died and mum felt sorry for me (i missed out the fact that they live for 15years ;p so don't tell her that snakes live for longer) and i only managed a horse cuz whenever she asked 'what do you want for your birthday/chritmas' the answer would always be 'a horse' so she gave up :D haha i won! and now the answer is always snake but i dont think she's falling for that trick anymore she just buys me a tub of horse treats.
Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  21:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
take your mum to a rep shop thats got young royals and see if she will hold it to show how sweet they are. to me they have the sweetist faces of any snake. it worked for me with the girlfriend when i went to shop the other week and asked to look at a pastel royal

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  21:44:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A horse lol, holy moly. I know what the answer would have been if I asked my Mum for a horse.If you can achieve that a snake should be a doddle

Go to Top of Page

doogy16
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  21:46:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh and she has said that she's worried that it might try to eat my 5 year old brother or possibly my dog (miniature poodle) she's not worried about me or dad being eaten as apparently we're too tall (me 5'11 and dad 6' lol) she's such a weird woman, i try telling her nice facts about snakes and how lovely they are but she pretends to listen but doesn't really. i wonder what she'd do if she just came home one day and the snake would be there... *evil plan :D*
Go to Top of Page

doogy16
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  21:48:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the thing is she has held a big boa before and actualy wouldn't give it back cuz it kept her neck warm its just the concept of dead mice in the kitchen she doesn't like.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  21:49:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once they are in you soon forget about them, i dont even think twice about them anymore, sitting next to my chicken chargrills and waffles lol.

The biggest thing a royal could eat is a large rat, Paris Hilton at a push.

Edited by - Lotabob on 07/03/2011 21:53:49
Go to Top of Page

doogy16
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  21:56:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh good that might calm her down with a brother eating royal idea lol although i wouldn't mind actualy :P what about the 'what do we do with it when going on holiday cuz im sure snake hotel doesnt exist and even if it does it costs far too much?'. sorry, i gotta get ready for my conversation about snake no.1569 with a million what ifs, and if i can answer them successfully i might be getting closer to a yes :D
Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  21:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the better half is a veggie and it was strange for her to have mice and rats in the frezzer. she is getting used to it but as long as none of her food is in the same drawer. its just a case of getting your head arond it if your not used to it

0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  21:59:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
most rep shops do boarding for when ur on holiday. theres a ouple near me and the charge £2 a day for snakes

0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
Go to Top of Page

doogy16
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  22:01:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
won't snakey get stressed if i move him to and from different locations and to different people?
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  22:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They aren't fussed and handled when they are away but youdo need to leave them to settle back home again but the same can apply if you change what room they are in or even which way they are facing sometimes.

Go to Top of Page

doogy16
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  22:08:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alright then that problem is solved then, i have a friend who owns a corn and she used to have a royal and she did say that she wouldn't mind looking after it if im away. i just wondered, in summer when its nice and warm, do you ever or can you take your snake outside?
Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  22:11:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive been lucky when ive been on hol. friends have stayed at ours to look after mine

i do take mine outside when its nice and warm but i dont put them on the ground just incase they pick anything up

0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
Go to Top of Page

doogy16
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  22:13:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, i'd be scared incase the neighbours cat decided to come along as well so i wouldn't put it on the ground but i just wondered if a bit of fresh air every now and then would do any harm :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000