New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  09:18:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, so for the last few weeks Tig has been making little wheezy type noises again, but here's the funny thing, he only gets noisy after a feed and then after three/four days he's as quiet as a mouse (or should I say rat?). This seems to tie in with him being put onto bigger prey items. My mam recons this is a bit far-fetched, but could it be possable that eating his larger prey is irritating his lung, possably 'cause it does have some scaring from his R.I. that is making him wheeze before it settles it's-self down again? I can imagine that a snake's lung gets quite squished during swallowing.
After he's eaten he does also make a kind of quiet caugh/sneeze noise, but this settles after just a day and he only does it maybe two/ three times in that space of time.
He was louder this week from eating his rat weiner, but it was only the tinyest bit bigger than his jumbo mouses were. They're not too big for him, it only made a little bulge when he'd eaten it. But now he's had time to digest the rat weiner and there's no sign of it by looking at him he's silent again.

I did, this week, bunk the temprature up and the humidity to try and sort it, but I haven't been doing this and it's managed to fix it's-self in a few days. What should I do? Should I start the steam treatment again? He seems fine in himself, and I can tell he's coming out nearly every night once I've gone to bed, he's drinking normaly. I got him out yesterday to check him over and all seemed fine except I could hear him breath slighty through his nose, that kind of blocked nose noise, but it was very quiet. He was his usual inqusitive self though, wanting to be everywhere and see what he could find. He's not acting nervous and he wouldn't have any reason to be. Nothing has happened to upset him and the temp and humidity have been keeping stable.

At the minuet I'm keeping the temp up a tiny bit, it being at 92/93 instead of at 90 hot end. I'm also keeping the humidity bunked up for him.

Could this just be the effects of some scaring on his lung or has the R.I. come back? : (

Just me and my zoo.

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  11:27:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you keep the treatment up for a week after all signs had gone? It takes time to fully heal their systems are slow. What are hot and cold temps plus ambient temp and humidity in the set up.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  11:51:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I kept the treatment up (for longer than a week actually) and I reduced the amount of viks etc slowly to make sure it got rid of it.

I'm having to fiddle on with the temps a bit today just 'cause of the colder weather outside, making the temps a bit lower than they should be. Not by much though. So I'll let you know what the temps are on the cool end and in the middle when I've got it to where it should be again. The other day when I cheched they were 90 in the hot end, I think 86/87 in the middle and 81 in the cool end, if that helps? That was before I turned the stat up a bit.
I haven't got my digi hyrometer anymore, I ditched it. So I messure the humidity by my hand now. At the minuet I've uped it to how it would be if he was shedding. So it's quite humid, but not anything mad.

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  00:49:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The length of the treatment after he was better i meant. How do you measure the humidity by your hand.
Book the vets if your worried at all.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  11:15:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that's what I meant too : ) I kept him on the treatment for about a week and a half, maybe a day less, after I assumed he was totaly better. I wanted to make sure he was.

I've just learnt to reconize the way it should feel. Normaly the humidity in the viv is a little more than in the living room (high enough for me to be able to tell a definate difference), but when he's in shed I put it up so that my hand feels sightly claggy if I have it in the viv for a second or two.

Bunking up the humidity seems to have done something 'cause he's silent again now. But I'm not all together convinced this means anything anymore : /
I might get him to the vets and see what they say. I suppose they can listen to his breathing better than I can so they might be able to detect something I can't. I dread having to get Baytril down him again though...

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2011 :  10:42:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tiger Eye has a vet appointmet today at three.

He had his rat wiener ne bother on Monday, ate it fine. But shortly afterwards he started 'coughing', I actualy thought he was cholking : ( But he had fully eaten the rat, so my guess is that it had really irritated his lung and that was what made him cough.
Although it's nowhere near all the time he's also been making these kind of... sighing noises is the only way I can describe it. Only quite. When I get him out I can hear that blocked nose noise from his nose, but it's clear.
He's fine in himself, still a very curious boy. He's coming out nearly ever night and having a drink often. It's like he doesn't even notice something's wrong with him. But I can, so we'll see what the vet says...

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2011 :  11:07:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck, keeping my fingers crossed for you and Tig.

Edited by - n/a on 16/03/2011 11:11:25
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2011 :  11:25:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you : )

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2011 :  10:46:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, the bad news is he does have an R.I. again. The good news, though, is that it's only mild. Just a little bit of a rattle, nothing major. So he's been given some Baytril again, to be given every other day, along with the advice to start the steaming again. He's going back in a week to be checked again and to see how things are going.
The vet seemed to thing this was a different case of an R.I., but I'm not sure. Seems more likly to me that the first one wasn't gone and has now managed to slowly build it's-self back up again. I'm dissapointed about that, 'cause he seemed fine and there was no noise or any rattling I could feel from him at all.

But never mind, I'll get it this time!

It was funny, 'cause there was a vet nurse who was asked to hold Tig while the vet looked in his mouth. She was there last time and handled him then as well. But this time the vet warned that she hold him the right way or he'd bite her, and went on to tell her he had teeth in a very serious tone. All I was thinking was 'aye, but don't go into any detail or she'll s**t herself!' X )
He's a good boy though, he doesn't bite... well he clipped me once, but only 'cause he got overly keen and went for me before his mouse X )

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2011 :  11:03:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlueDragon

Well, the bad news is he does have an R.I. again. The good news, though, is that it's only mild. Just a little bit of a rattle, nothing major. So he's been given some Baytril again, to be given every other day, along with the advice to start the steaming again. He's going back in a week to be checked again and to see how things are going.
The vet seemed to thing this was a different case of an R.I., but I'm not sure. Seems more likly to me that the first one wasn't gone and has now managed to slowly build it's-self back up again. I'm dissapointed about that, 'cause he seemed fine and there was no noise or any rattling I could feel from him at all.

But never mind, I'll get it this time!

It was funny, 'cause there was a vet nurse who was asked to hold Tig while the vet looked in his mouth. She was there last time and handled him then as well. But this time the vet warned that she hold him the right way or he'd bite her, and went on to tell her he had teeth in a very serious tone. All I was thinking was 'aye, but don't go into any detail or she'll s**t herself!' X )
He's a good boy though, he doesn't bite... well he clipped me once, but only 'cause he got overly keen and went for me before his mouse X )

Aw, sorry to hear that, and so disappointing after all your hard work. Hope you clobber the RI this time round. Get well soon, Tig!

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2011 :  11:12:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks BATS : )

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  00:11:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeh good luck with tig. Remember if you do the steam treatment again follow the instruction to the note. i remember you said you adjusted it slightly.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  08:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope, haven't ajusted it this time, I'm doing as I'm told : )

He was really noisy after his steam yesterday afternoon, so I figured this might be a good sign. And then he had his Baytril later on and then yesterday night he was really quiet, not a peep out of him. Even after his steam then. So not quite sure what to think, if it's good or bad. But either way he was a right figit last night, more aware (it took a minuet to get him to settle in the tupperware box so I could get the lid on), so I think the Baytril must be perking him up a bit. Not that he was sluggish before that, mind you!

He's sulking now, in his hide, 'cause he hates his steam X )

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  12:08:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok cool. Never used any injections so don't know their effects first hand. But don't forget to keep temps up as they won't work otherwise.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2011 :  10:54:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, keeping temps and humidity up. His temp is at 92/93 hot end. It's as hot as I can raise it 'cause now the stat is turned up full wack.

Injections? If your on about the Baytril he gets it down his throat, not via an injection : ) I have a serious fear of needles... It's ridiculous really. So don't know what I'd do if ever one of my pets needed injections for some reason : /

He's showing me he's hungry, sticking his head out of his hide and watching everything, so I'm really hoping he'll eat his rat weiner on Monday with everything he's having to put up with.

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000