Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Margwar
Yearling

United Kingdom
211 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  22:08:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a question for everyone.

I went to a local fish shop, which since October have started selling reptiles. I had high hopes to be honest, the website seems very good, prices all listed, kept up to date. There was plenty of photos on the website (Not of the individual animals, but of the area in general).

I have to say, I was disappointed, the reptile room smelt awful, the vivarium's seemed pretty dirty, there a few vivs with sheds still in them. Would you buy from a place like this?

The main reason I'm asking, is because there was a GORGEOUS brown and cream kingsnake, which was trying its hardest to get out of the viv it was in (Which was in my opinion, too small) and I so badly want to take it away from there, but the boyfriend said he wouldn't buy from a place like that, opinions?

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  22:16:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its the catch 22, take a animal clearly in need of a better home but line the pockets of someone who doesn't deserve it or leave the animal to its suffering in the hope that everyone walks away and the owner either changes his ways or stops seelling reptiles.

I would be bold as brass tell them I wasn't impressed with the conditions and see the response there may be a perfectly reasonable reason, for instance a member of staff may be sick so he has been stretched to get round them all thats day, or he'll tell you to take a run and jump, either way you've done what you can. Far too many people seee things they don't like and say nothing, I say speak up!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2011 :  22:44:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing you say, or hint, will make any impression on people like that. I've tried, once, well, inadvertently (couldn't control my facial expression.) Result: total indifference and ensuing spitefulness. It's also, I understand, well-nigh impossible to get anything done via the channels of RSPCA or whatever, unless an animal is actually at death's door or dead, in which case it will have been removed before opening time...Sorry to sound so negative. I'm not just speaking about bad rep shops here, but about all places that deal in livestock but don't take proper care.

Personally, I would buy an animal if I felt I could rescue it, care for it, or even rehome it. Bear in mind that its enclosure will soon be occupied by 'new stock.' But one animal will have escaped, sentimental of me, maybe ...

Just be nice and polite so that you can buy the snake. Then call them rectal openings as you leave the premises. It will relieve your feelings, but they won't give a damn, I'm afraid ...

Edited by - GMac on 16/03/2011 01:52:02
Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2011 :  09:37:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with both the above its sad to see shops jump on the "lateset craze" band wagon then either not care or do the bare minimum in order to sell the animals. Some peoples idea of whats acceptable really sucks...........

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2011 :  16:31:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't buy of anybody who isn't currently caring for the animal correctly. If you do and something goes wrong what after care are you really expecting.
It sounds bad but buying from these people is only supporting them. just my view.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2011 :  17:16:46  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agreed with bob, two local reptile shops to me, one is huge with everything you could want in it, the other is tiny with only the basic animals and a few neccesities. The large one always smells, vivs are never clean and some are too small for the animals so I avoid it like the plague, the attitude of the people there sucks as well which I find is common for bad reptile shops, if the people working with the animals don't show an enthusiasm for talking about the animals there is normally something wrong.

Last thing you want is to get the animal back and find a problem they're not willing to help you with

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2011 :  18:10:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i wouldn't bother buying from them. imo if they can't be bothered to clean and house in right conditions then they are just after the money

i was in a local one to me a while back. went in to pick up a ceramic bulb i think. the lady who was running the rep section asked what it was for so i told her a royal. to which she replyed what do the temps need to be. and behind her was a royal

i have even heard them say that mats dont need to be statted

makes u wonder how people gat jobs in these places

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy

Edited by - blackskull on 16/03/2011 18:18:39
Go to Top of Page

Margwar
Yearling

United Kingdom
211 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2011 :  18:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spoke to my dad about this earlier. The general consensus is, don't buy from there in case they bring something home, I'd hate it if Margwar got ill. I guess I'll stick to trawling the classifieds and using the garden centres instead.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000