Delighted with viv value
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  10:58:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After costing out building my own viv stack I decided to go for flatpack, and was considering the Viv Exotics LX 36" from my usual supplier at £64.50 (well below RRP.)

Then yesterday Reptilemadd mentioned that Swellreptiles of Cheshire were good value. They are - the same viv on offer at present, for £48.50. Next day delivery, £4 the lot.

Excellent friendly service, and the vivs have arrived this morning.

So thanks again to Reptilemadd, and also to Chris at Swellreptiles - I can definitely recommend this firm.

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  12:02:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get building Lilith

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  13:45:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - I will, I will!

I really have been incredibly lucky - first with the £8 bulb guards and now these vivs.

I did actually find, while shopping around for prices on stats etc, the LX36 at a couple of quid cheaper, but that other supplier's website kept closing my internet down - irritating - and I must say the service and help at Swellreptiles was great, whereas I've heard reports of poor service from the cheaper supplier (which shall be nameless) so no regrets.

So, I got me a project, and so have Shahi and Surahi - to put on some weight and make some new snakes!

Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  13:57:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice one Bats don't forget post pic's when done lol and thanks for the acknowledgement it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside lol, but I noticed you got some bulb guards for £8 if you don't mind me asking how big are they and where did you get them, I only ask cause I checked mine yesterday and it was rather hot to the touch so I could do with a longer one my guard is just over 6 inches which only gives about a 2 inch gap between it and the bulb :)

Edit: sorry Bats part of this post is a duplicate I wasn't sure if you would see the other one:)

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"

Edited by - reptilemadd on 18/03/2011 14:15:13
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  14:17:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol, my pleasure, I got the guards from Blue Lizard of Sheffield, who are very good and have some great offers from time to time ... BUT, the bad news is that the offer on these guards is over.

They're the Pro-Rep conventional bulb guard that retails for £20 or so - Blue Lizard sell them for £16.99, which is still reasonable, but have just measured one and in fact it's the same length as the guard you already have, so wouldn't be an improvement.

Apologies, by the way, to anyone else whose hopes I've raised - I mentioned this guard offer on the forum a couple of times but should really have posted a thread, it was such good value.

Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  14:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks anyway Bats I did find a ceramic bulb guard on 888 reptiles they are just over 9 inches but also just over £22 never mind needs must and all that lol

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  16:37:17  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good buy Lil, if anyone else needs them, this guy on ebay is who I use (not as cheap as the offer on at Swell currently, but cheaper than the norm):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VIVEXOTIC-LX36-36-VIVARIUM-WINCHESTER-OAK-REPTILES-/200389536772?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item2ea825ac04

Go to Top of Page

stevethornley
Hatchling

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2011 :  12:01:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey BATS

Thanks for this post. Looks like you got a bargain. I was looking at the 2ft version before we went for our tiny starter-viv. Would be very interested to know how you get on with the build, quality of components etc as we'll have to upgrade at some point.

Happy building!

Steve

0.1.0 Royal Python - Kate
0.1.0 Beagle - Poppy
0.0.11 tiny tropical fish - not named
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2011 :  12:11:38  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I use the vivexotics and never had a problem with them.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2011 :  12:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, my other vivs are vivexotic and they're great - I didn't build them though; they came ready assembled from a shop I used to go to.

LOL - my self-assembly skills are not for the nervous ...

rule 1 - if your brain shorts out at the sight of an instruction leaflet, throw it away and use your common sense.

rule 2 - as long as you don't actually assemble the thing inside out, you've done a good job.

rule 3 - any bashes or dents incurred during assembly add character (shabby chic is 'in'.) Bashes and dents to one's person are inevitable - keep the bandaid ready.

RULE 4 (The most important!!)

PLENTIFUL BEER TO BE KEPT IN THE FRIDGE AS REWARD FOR INTREPID VIV BUILDER.

Go to Top of Page

stevethornley
Hatchling

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2011 :  13:25:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks BE and BATS - that's reassuring. They seem such good value I was worried that it was going to be another case of 'you get what you pay for' but if these are good enough for you guys then they're good enough for us. I am a veteran of Ikea flat packs (with many an allen key trophy in my toolbox) so I guess this shouldn't be too much of a challenge.

The next question will be 'when to switch' but I'll save that for later. For now, Kate the snake seems happy so all is good... 3 weeks in... rat weener currently defrosting for attempted second feed on the bounce around 6pm. Wish us luck. We've not seen her all week!

Steve

0.1.0 Royal Python - Kate
0.1.0 Beagle - Poppy
0.0.11 tiny tropical fish - not named
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  06:50:11  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, if you can do Ikea, you can do VivExotics

Go to Top of Page

nok1888
Yearling

United Kingdom
314 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  12:19:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Yes, my other vivs are vivexotic and they're great - I didn't build them though; they came ready assembled from a shop I used to go to.

LOL - my self-assembly skills are not for the nervous ...

rule 1 - if your brain shorts out at the sight of an instruction leaflet, throw it away and use your common sense.

rule 2 - as long as you don't actually assemble the thing inside out, you've done a good job.

rule 3 - any bashes or dents incurred during assembly add character (shabby chic is 'in'.) Bashes and dents to one's person are inevitable - keep the bandaid ready.

RULE 4 (The most important!!)

PLENTIFUL BEER TO BE KEPT IN THE FRIDGE AS REWARD FOR INTREPID VIV BUILDER.

PMSL agreed never forget rule 4! lol

0.1.0 Royal Normal - Orlina Bodhi Lobsang
1.0.0 Royal Normal - Sedrick Rinzen Sonam
2.0.0 Cats 18 y/o - Monty, kitten - Dodger
2.0.0 Border Collie's 7 y/o - Jinky, 2 y/o - Chance
0.0.5 Goldfish - Haggis, Pookie, Oddball, Spongebob and Slimey (kids eh lol)
Strange creature, unknown species, wife likes to call it "teenage daughter"

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  17:31:15  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
very good price, surrey pet supplies i think used to be cheaper, but then when the vat went up i think they are now around the same price as that but the postage is slightly more at 7 quid.

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  16:08:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, took me a while, I know, but I built the first viv today. It took me an hour, I reckon. The next ones won't take as long, now where I know where all the mysterious little gismos plug in.

I find the quality is fine; I'm very pleased with the appearance and everything went together smoothly. If I have any criticisms it is that if I want to remove the roof in future for any adjustments to decor etc, it leaves the back loose, although I caulked the joints with aquarium sealant - smelly stuff!

I think also I'll install the bulb and guard before fitting the roof in the other vivs, also the screw eyes for climbing branches etc., and then the roof can go on and stay on. The roof of this first one is only fitted temporarily until the sealant has cured.

The instruction leaflet's not bad either - usually they make my brain swim. It would have been useful if they'd included a little warning about being careful not to reverse panels so that raw edges show; with my talent for assembling things inside out I got them all wrong, but it was a quick job to disconnect panels and connect them the right way.

Oh, and the back and front panels have connections called 'cams'. These are stubby round plastic plugs with an adjustable conection inside and they fit into corresponding round holes in the melamine ...not. Bluedragon had problems with similar things while assembling her viv cabinet.

I had a brainwave. I laid each panel flat - and crunched them in with the heel of my Ugg boot. Worked a treat.

All in all, I'm very pleased with my first attempt.

Edited by - n/a on 12/04/2011 16:09:10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000