ZOMBIE RAT - SHOCK HORROR!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  15:09:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Feeding day. Rodents defrosted overnight, warmed and presented to the royals ...

Shahi I'm very proud of, as he has now eaten his third rat - no more mice for him. Surahi's not eating that well and I've left mousey in her viv with her. Saada's not eating yet either, so same performance, rat left in hide for her to find. She went in eagerly enough but, no action.

I just went to check her again, and as if on cue, the rat emerged slowly from the shadows of the hide and paused at the entrance and looked at me!!!!??

The explanation is simple of course. Saada was spreading herself in her hide and a moving coil had booted the unwanted rat through the doorway ...

I think she's trying to tell me she's NOT hungry this week, thank you.

stumpy
Yearling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  16:54:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How old are your royals, dont know whether to try Zuri on a rat, but he is only 227gms. I know there are different sizes, BUT?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  17:16:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Shahi is a year old, Saada's two and Surahi's five.

It would be a good idea to start Zuri on rats as soon as he's settled in and feeding reliably - older snakes can be hard to switch from mice to rats, as they can get addicted to mice, which aren't as nutritious for them as rats. I got Surahi last Nov - and she's a mouse junkie. At her age and weight she should be eating a medium rat every fortnight - her previous owners were forced to let her eat two large mice a week. So not having had chance to change her over with the settling in and winter fast, that's what I'm having to do at present - not ideal eh? I do hope to get her on rats eventually.

At Zuri's weight he could be started on a rat fluff or even a small weaner - something 10/15% of his boodyweight - the shop should weigh the rat for you - they can vary like crazy from supplier to supplier - even the names can be different.

Good luck - many royals will change over pretty easily, especially at Zuri's age.

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  21:40:40  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Flip! that would put the wind up you eh?

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  22:02:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL! It was a bit eerie - thought I was seeing things for a moment.

It just sort of glided forward, nose first as if it had come to life and was curious about seeing me.

Like something resurrected from the crypt, or the freezer ... Frankenstein rat!

I think that Saada has a bizarre sense of humour ...

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  22:04:43  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hahaha brilliant!

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  22:15:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAHA, I would have paid to see your face when you spotted that.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  22:37:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, lol, I've lived and worked in haunted buildings so I've known my share of odd goings-on, but a frozen rat come back from the dead ...just didn't spectre see that!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  23:33:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
paRATnormal indeed

Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  11:56:22  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stumpy

How old are your royals, dont know whether to try Zuri on a rat, but he is only 227gms. I know there are different sizes, BUT?

I started all my hatchlings on rat pups, my oldest royal will not entertain mice.
Just do rat pup, rat fluff, rat weaner. I only use mice if they refuse rats and start to deteriorate, as a 2kg royal needs LOTS of mice, and they can be a swine to switch when older.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  16:13:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

paRATnormal indeed

LOL - yeah and it wasn't a HAMMERED Horror episode either!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000