Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  15:16:38  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it's been 8 days since i bought Blitz, today i tried to feed him, i removed the hide he were under and placed the hamster infront of him,
believe my he didn't move !! still the way he is, like a ball :P
i waited couple of minutes and he still without a move, although the hamster were moving all around the viv :P
Anyway, i removed the hamster after that and placed back the hide over Blitz (Still not moving, just breathing).
Then i came up with an idea :D
I thought i can handle him from now on since he showes no interest in eating the hamster.
I think he won't eat befor month or two, so in this period i'll handle him and make him used to me and used to be handled, and then he will not be stressed so much and maybe he will eat.
I know it sounds strange, but i don't know why i think it will Succeed !!

I don't know if somebody tried this before, but really, what do u think guys ?

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  15:31:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I'm sorry, but no. A royal is a snake that really does have to settle in and start feeding before you handle it very much.

A first feed refused is nothing. Try him again in a week, but honestly I would not handle him. You'll have him for another 20 or 30 years - a few weeks' waiting is nothing and will be very beneficial to him. They like to take things slowly - that's part of their charm, and if he's not ready to eat yet it may mean that he's not settled yet.

Good luck with his next feed.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  15:56:33  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'd also not remove the hide when feeding personally, I wouldn't even introduce the hamster to the viv until you see he's showing interest, he'll pop his head out when the hamster is close to the viv if he's hungry :)

I found that pulling the hide off my royals to offer food normally just scared them and stopped them eating.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  15:59:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, sorry, it was me who advised removing the hide, just in case the hamster got in there and bit Blitz ...

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  16:03:34  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah you're right bats but I think it'd probably be easier to just wait for snakey to come out and show interest before introducing the hamster?

I'm sure it doesn't really matter after a few weeks with Taw the snake will probably settle in and be fine either way of feeding :)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  16:13:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's a ticklish problem, we need someone who's got a bit of experience of live feeding, if that's permitted on this forum?

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  17:02:10  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Dont see it wouldn't be the forum is multicultural and I think the uk is one of the few places that don't do more live feeding

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  17:54:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I know, it's just that there are guidelines in place to protect the owners of the forum from anything controversial, so wasn't sure what the position was on discussion of live feeding.

Personally I feel feeding prekilled is more convenient, and that live feeding must be a headache because of all the supervision, but the legal/political standpoint of this country on live feeding is ridiculous - a snake kills as fast if not faster than a CO2 chamber, UK rat poisons are disgusting, leaving the rodent to die a slow and horrible death, and if I mentioned that a pet cat had (slowly) killed a mouse and left it in the kitchen as a gift for me, the average reaction would be 'ahh, cute!'

But that, as they say, is a whole new can of worms - in the meantime, hopefully, someone will be along to advise Tawfik.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  18:19:44  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agree to some point, I dont see any big problem with live feeding i'd probably do it if it was as cheap as frozen :p

Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  20:40:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As BATS has mentioned you are best not handling the snake until it has been feeding regularly. for live feeding personally I would be removing the hide from the enclosure purely on the possibility of the prey wandering into the royals hide, you then cant see what is happening and whose doing what to who.

on a side note, there is no problem discussing live feeding on the forum.

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  21:28:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would be of the opinion that live feeding does have its dangers, well dangers is maybe a bit of a strong word but precautions need to be taken. Snakes are very capable of taking down a rodent, they've been doing it for many many millions of years but it comes with the risk of bites, scratches, broken teeth etc. It may also stress the snake out to have a rodent running around in its enclosure. Its personal choice as to whether its worth taking the risk.
Just because you can't buy prekilled prey items doesn't mean you can't feed them prekilled, but that brings its own questions of how do you kill a rodent without been cruel, you can gas them with CO2 in a home made gas chamber, this would be the most humane way to do it, I've heard of people hitting them off hard objects but if not done right it will cause huge amounts of suffering, and there is snapping their necks, again it needs to be done right and it more difficult than you might think in naturally flexible and chubby animals.
You have to be prepared for the worst case scenario when live feeding and be ready to intervene if necessary, I'm not a fan of live feeding, I think there is always a better way of feeding and would only consider live feeding if it was absolutely necessary.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  21:33:48  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lol bob that's the first time "home made gas chamber" and "humane" has been used in the same sentence.

I think people go way over the top with live feeding precautions snakes are extremely adept at taking down rodents, they do it as hatchlings it's built in they just know how to do it, the dangers are basically 0 if you supervise it correctly, I'm speaking as if I'm experienced at it but christ I really can't see how it can be so dangerous hehe. I know I've preached to others on the forum about doing frozen over live and I personally believe frozen is far better but I wouldn't say live in dangerous to the snake :P just dangerous to your wallet.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  22:15:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

lol bob that's the first time "home made gas chamber" and "humane" has been used in the same sentence.

PMSL!

I agree snakes know what they are doing and precautions are the way forward. I didn't want to say it but the wallet impact is a big reason I wouldn't do it, they are expensive alive and vets cost a fortune should the snake get injured. Even a small bite can get infected and I've been bitten by a hamster, I used to have a few and if they get a good purchase on you their ridiculously sharp and long teeth go so deep and its agony.

Edited by - Lotabob on 05/04/2011 22:16:02
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  22:23:02  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I can imagine, I hate rodents I used to keep rats as a kid and all they did was attack my hands.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  22:44:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I liked them when I had them but wouldn't have another, they stink, they bite, they are noisy all night long. In fact sod em, forget humane, beat them to death with a tea spoon.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  23:07:55  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
LOOOOL @ Lotbob ...
Okay then, I'll wait till feeding attempt will succeed :)
and about the expencive live prey, it's actualy not here, i can buy live hamster with just 2 $.
anyway, i'll try to search again for a frozen rodent, and if i didn't fined them, i'll search for someone who can kill them for me :P
Thank u guys for the help.

just have another question.
Blitz always stays in his hides, never saw him moving in the viv. is that okay ? i mean when he'll sattle down in his viv, will he move out of his hids? or he will be just like that always ? even if he is settled ?

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  23:11:06  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Probably be the same, they don't tend to come out very often, some exceptions but most are shy

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  23:27:56  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This is some pics how he look like when he's hiding most of his time, with an exception in this photo that his head is out :D

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  00:13:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah Thats about as much as I see of Duke, they are very secretive animals. One small thing to consider is your hides are huge, they like their hides very tight fitting and may not feel very secure and this could result in more non feeding. If you have a small cardboard box that blitz can only just fit into it might be worth cutting a small snake sized hole in it and putting it in as a hide.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  09:23:38  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok, I'll try to find something smaller :)

Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  10:11:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
on the topic of live feeding apprently its now illigal to feed live in the uk. the better half was at her yearly cpd lectures in birmingham and in one of the lectures someone asked about live feeding. the speaker said they get this question alot regarding reptiles and they said its illigal

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa