New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  18:55:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had Cerberus now since valintines day and after the first week letting him settle in he's fed every five days, on what I thought were rat fuzzies, anyway C's growing and gaining weight so I decided to up his meal sizes to weaners, and then it happend lots of interest even gave it a love but no strike and certainly no eating, I had one fuzzy left so I gave it a couple of days thinking that maybe he wouldn't take the weaner cause he thought it was too big, I defrosted his fuzzy and warmed it as usual at first very little intrest then he looked at me as if to say oh well since it's here I might as well lol, and so with a bit more effort than usual he ate it, but now I'm worrying it wasn't the size of the weaner that was the problem but maybe what I thought were rat fuzzies were actually mice lol

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  19:10:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What does the supplier say? They should know what they're selling.

For photos, google A&N frozen - they publish pics of all sizes of rats and mice - might be possible to tell what you've been feeding.

Hope it was rats - it'll make life easier for you and Cerberus.

At the same time - may just have been that Cerberus was being a faddy little git/startled by being offered a bigger rat/going into shed/dieting this week ...royals eh?

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  19:11:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just stick with rats for a few weeks, if hes hungry he`ll eat

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  19:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bats Hodgie, the pet shop say they were rat fuzzies buuuuuuuuuutttttt you never know lol

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  19:31:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a very noticable difference, have you used them up or have you any left?

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  22:53:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From my experience rats vary in size so much depending on what they have had delivered thati just ask whats available and pick by size more than name.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  23:44:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean I went into my local rep shop after he didn't feed to get some more fuzzies, and they were about half the size of the one I had left, that was another reason I thought I might have a large mouse instead of a rat fuzzie. When I checked the tail of the fuzzie against the weaner it was a lot smoother as well, all I can do is try him again with the weaners and hope he takes them

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  08:58:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mice have pointy heads and noses and rats have more stumpy heads, and more bulk to them : ) They also have longer tails than mice, but that can be harder to see.

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  11:36:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, you can literally tell them by their faces - mice are dainty and 'pretty' - well rats are pretty too, but much larger featured, eyes larger and longer.

Oh, and according to my supplier, mouse fuzzies weigh 5g approx, rat fuzzies 19g - I never thought of that - a mouse fuzz wouldn't even be big enough for a hatchling royal, never mind Cerberus.

I reckon he's already on rats.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000