New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dio
Yearling

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  20:10:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just checked on Dio like i always do when i walk past him on my way to the kitchen and noticed a black insect, what looks like a beetle larvae, crawling around his water bowl.

Being such a worrier is this a bad thing? I can't think of any way it could have gotten in there unless it was in the substrate already.

0.0.1 Royal Python (Dio)
0.1.0 Angora Cat (Blue)

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  20:20:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How big?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  20:21:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it looks like a larva, then it's not a mite, which I understand is the only bug we need be afraid of. At this time of year there are all sorts of beasties hatching from over-wintered eggs/emerging from hibernation. It could have crawled in through a vent. It could have arrived in the substrate, but the substrate would have had to be damp, and usually in this case it can be infested by compost gnats (harmless to snakes.)

The only other thing I can think of is a creature I've seen in cricket boxes - a black larva like creature, which isn't a cricket - really don't know what it is. Harmless, I reckon, but possible a similar beastie could have somehow got in with Zac's kit?

Is is possible to get a pic of the creature?

Go to Top of Page

Dio
Yearling

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  20:40:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was quite small, black with 6 legs a long body and looked like it had a smaller version of and earwigs backend. I tried to take a photo but it was too small. From what i've found on google it looks like a water beetle larvae so hopefully it is that. I'm going to get Dio out in a minute to check he's ok.

0.0.1 Royal Python (Dio)
0.1.0 Angora Cat (Blue)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  20:48:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, I know the sort of thing you mean - like I say it's the time of year when these funny bugs are abounding and as a lifelong creepy-crawly freak lol I can guarantee it was absolutely nothing dangerous to snakes.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  20:54:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its a warm and humid environment or in another words bug heaven. I found a caterpillar try to make its way into the corn viv, it didn't make it . I've even ended up with carpet beetles this spring. Bugs are taking over.

Go to Top of Page

Dio
Yearling

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  20:59:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as it's nothing thats going to harm him. i can't afford any more vets bill for a while after having to pay £100 to have a tumour removed from Asti.

Dio's not playing ball and won't come out of his log for me to check him over.

0.0.1 Royal Python (Dio)
0.1.0 Angora Cat (Blue)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  21:01:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - you mean he IS playing ball!

Go to Top of Page

Dio
Yearling

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  14:38:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very true BATS and even more typically royal just as we we're going to bed he decided to come out of hiding. Checked him over and he's fine. He did decide to curl around both my wrists and handcuff them together.

0.0.1 Royal Python (Dio)
0.1.0 Angora Cat (Blue)
Go to Top of Page

boze
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  11:19:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DioDio's not playing ball and won't come out of his log for me to check him over.

Open bottom hides are where its at, theres no escaping capture for them when you can just lift the hide off hahaha

D

0.1.0. Royal (Salmissra)
0.0.1. Western Hognose (Spiderman)

quote:
Originally posted by ruxpin64
I'm so happy I may lay on my back and pee in the air like a baby!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000