Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lucy1012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
82 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2011 :  19:57:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
personally i would just break it's neck quick and relatively painless... we have a hamster and a gerbil, but since owning a snake i do find it difficult to not look to rodents as snake food... my cat bought in a baby rabbit (unharmed) yesterday morning, an i hate to admit i did think i wonder what size snake would digest you... but i was good and drove it to st tiggywinkles ;-) good luck with the hammy and blitz...
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2011 :  20:09:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

I think we're bloody lucky to live in the uk where we can just order up our f/t and not have to worry about it

Indeed, I'd hate to have to live feed or kill my own. Not saying I couldn't if I really had to but prefer the option of defrost and feed anyday though I do feel very guilty when they aren't taken as it died for nothing, I feel the same about wasting any meat though, I throw the rats down to the river edge at night, hope a hungry scavenger finds it, its always gone by morning.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  20:34:30  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm concentrating on treating Blitz from his tick and water blisters and then i'll be back to the feeding thing

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  21:01:02  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm back again to this subject since i have a new idea
What do you think if i feed Blitz a fresh pice of meat (cow meat) ? same size as hamster size.

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  21:06:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No its very unlikely to ever work. Your not feeding problems are tick and moving house related and your panicking too early. They eat rodents, they do that in captivity, they do it in the wild. Treat the ticks and Blitz won't be feeling quite so weak and poorly and I'm sure eating will follow shortly. Because of the anemia caused by ticks, you need to ideally get some reptoboost and put it in the water or bath Blitz in a 50/50 mix of powerade and water to give Blitz a bit of a boost.

Edited by - Lotabob on 19/04/2011 21:06:41
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  21:46:59  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can kill rodents by pulling and twisting the neck away from the body. Had to do it to a rabbit once that had mixi, was horrible but mixi is worse!
Agree with bob, deal with the tick and the settling in and the feeding will follow.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  22:56:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG I too once had to do that to a myxi rabbit - vile! The most merciful way with rabbits is to hit them with something heavy behind the ears (the neck bones are fragile there and death is instantaneous) but I was in the middle of nowhere and there were no stones, even, nothing.

Yes, agree with Bob and Sandi. I wish we COULD offer a snake a bit of steak - it would be so much less bother than all these frozen rodents and probably cheaper too, but they need the nutrients and roughage of the whole animal and they're geared up to the smell of a small animal prey too. Pity ...

Again all the best, sounds like he's on the mend.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  08:44:10  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok, i'll make sure to remove the tick, give him another month (since he did start yet to lose weight), and then try to feed him again.
Thank you for your help and advices again , it's really great to have you around specially that i'm the only one who is keeping snakes in this country and there's no one eslse to help me with this except you

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000