New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stumpy
Yearling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  18:18:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zuri is on a medium mouse, but reading on here that rats are better have just bought a rat fluff, but its bigger than the XL that i feed my corn, is this ok?

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  18:25:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to my supplier, rat fluffs weigh 19g approx, ex-breeder (or XL) mice weigh 45g. (I'm assuming you mean your corn eats an XL mouse.) The young rat termed as a medium weaner by my supplier weighs 45g ...

The trouble is, suppliers and indeed terminology for frozen rodents vary wildly. Before I started buying online I asked a local shop for a couple of rat weaners and returned home with what looked like a couple of capybaras. (And so they should have been at the price I was charged.)

You should be feeding 10/15% of Zuri's bodyweight, according to Blackecho.

If in any doubt a good shop should weigh the rodent for you.

Edited by - n/a on 13/04/2011 18:32:48
Go to Top of Page

stumpy
Yearling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  18:31:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes corn is on xl. I will weight rat in morning when defrosted see what it weighs (wish it wasnt brown/white looks like my old pet rat)will have to see if they do any other colour ha ha
Go to Top of Page

Dio
Yearling

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  20:22:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stumpy

Yes corn is on xl. I will weight rat in morning when defrosted see what it weighs (wish it wasnt brown/white looks like my old pet rat)will have to see if they do any other colour ha ha

I'm going to have the same trouble with feeding Dio rats. Black/brown hooded rats are banned as thats what my rats have been.

0.0.1 Royal Python (Dio)
0.1.0 Angora Cat (Blue)
Go to Top of Page

Lucy1012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
82 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  21:47:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry to high jack... BATS which online supplier do you use, i have thought about doing this but was concerned about the mice/rats not getting to me frozen....
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  22:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I use A&N Frozen, who are based in Suffolk - if that is local for you, then you can collect, which makes the rodents much cheaper.

I live in West Yorks and have had 2 deliveries from this firm and the rodents have arrived perfectly frozen.

They breed their own rodents and these are excellent quality.

If you google them, their prices are very very low - small weaner rats are at present 51p each - but they pack the rodents in a small or large box - £20 or £24 for delivery. Up to large weaner rats, you can get 6 packs of rodents, in large quantities depending on size, into a small box, and they arrive when promised.

I think it was Royalbob who did a calculation of the cheapest online suppliers and found A&N to be top - BUT, either you have to have a lot of snakes and freezer space, or have snakey friends who will share a delivery.

I have 9 snakes (nearly typed 'friends' - well, they are lol) and a special rodent freezer, so this works for me.

They provide a comprehensive price list, and if you mouse on to the section 'what we do' there is a table of weights and these are very accurate.

Edited by - n/a on 13/04/2011 22:07:40
Go to Top of Page

Lucy1012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
82 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  22:14:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you i will take a look, i will only have 2 so may not be worth it for me.. but i do have freezer space as i have a dog food freezer :-)
Go to Top of Page

Lucy1012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
82 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  22:23:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
then again looking at that with delivery of 50 mice fluffs would cost me £30, i pay 56p each at the mo, so by adding rat pups to the order (if I ever get my royal since the lady hasn't sent me the photos through yet) it would work out more economical, just depends how long you can keep rodents frozen for i suppose...
Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  23:46:06  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
a rat fluff should be around the same size as a large to xl mouse. They tend to look huge due to the larger head. I watched a 3 month old royal eat a rat fluff with no problems a while back, I should have looked before I offered......

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2011 :  10:33:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lucy1012

then again looking at that with delivery of 50 mice fluffs would cost me £30, i pay 56p each at the mo, so by adding rat pups to the order (if I ever get my royal since the lady hasn't sent me the photos through yet) it would work out more economical, just depends how long you can keep rodents frozen for i suppose...

Pinkies don't last long; they suffer from freezer burn. However any rodent with a fur coat lasts much longer - I think they said 6 months at A&N when I asked (Like you I wanted as much in my delivery as poss to keep down prices.) I have some small mice in my freezer from last Sept which are perfectly good.

I suppose it's the same as guidelines for conventional freezer meat - I wouldn't like to keep them above a year, and I make sure they are well-packaged. Some snake-keepers say six months, I believe, but from what I gather A&N 's stock is newly frozen (they are sometimes out of stock due to demand) and hasn't been hanging about in a pet shop freezer for months.

Hope this helps.

Edited by - n/a on 14/04/2011 10:34:52
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000