New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lucy1012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
82 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2011 :  14:30:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should be collecting my new royal in a week or two (just gonna move her in and hope my husband doesn't notice since he hasn't actually agreed to it) she is a 4 month old normal who is a little small for her size due to being a slow starter she currently weighs 90g, she had her 5th consecutive feed on thursday and is having another tonight i think...

She is cuurently in a rub set up, which I am going to duplicate, the rub is on order, and the rest is sat here waiting..

I was going to set the rub up on top of Luna's (corns) viv, but since reading so much about mites I am thinking this might (no pun intended) not be the best idea. Plus Luna is in the front room, which with 3 young kids and 2 noisy dogs is not always a quiet place...
I can set the RUB up in my bedroom but I would eventually like her to be in the front room in a viv.

I understand that when I bring her home she will need longer than Luna did to settle in before handling etc what are the general guidlines for timing before hadling and feeding..

I think the lady said she was on Rat pup's put the photo i have is of her eating a rodent with fur, so i will need to double check and get some food in.

Any advice will be welcome. thanks :-)

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2011 :  14:58:24  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Put her in and give her a whole 7 days peace and quiet, only go in to change the water. Then offer her a rat pup and see if she takes it, if she does it's best to wait another 5days (or 7 if you like) and offer her a second, if she takes that as well give her 2 days to digest and then you can begin handling, just about 10-20 minutes per handling session at first, if she refuses the 3rd feed it's back to the waiting and no handling again ^^

Can be a pain to wait

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Lucy1012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
82 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2011 :  18:12:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you, what size do the hides need to be do you think.. i have ordered a 9l rub...
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2011 :  18:17:16  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well the best hides are nice tight fits so the snake can curl up but you want it to have enough room to grow without having to replace hides, its upto you really depends what hides you can get :)

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2011 :  18:33:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At that age and size, cardboard inners from kitchen rolls. They might not look glamorous but they mimic the burrows a royal would instinctively seek in the wild. You may not see much of your royal, save for a fat little behind crammed into the cardboard tube, but it will be very happy ...

I wouldn't bother buying commercial reptile hides until the snake's large enough to get some mileage out of them. Small cardboard boxes (no tape!) and cheap straw hamster hides and houses are good too - anything not made from wood - resins in wood can be toxic to snakes. Coconut shells are fine though.

Go to Top of Page

scubadude
Yearling

United Kingdom
326 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2011 :  18:44:38  Show Profile  Click to see scubadude's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if you're looking at the exoterra hides the small are great for the size of your new arrival. Congrats

1.0 Classic corn snake
2.3 Normal Royal
1.1 spider royal
1.0 Mojave Royal
1.0 Butter Royal
0.1 Pastel ph ghost Royal
1.0 Enchi Royal python
1.0 Pastel royal poss ???
1.1 Yellowbelly Royal
1.1 Cinnamon Royal
1.1 Fire Royal
1.1 100% het Clowns
1.1 Crawl cay boas
1.0 Hypo hog island boa
0.1 Hog island Boa
coming soon
0.1 Bumblebee

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.
Go to Top of Page

Lucy1012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
82 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2011 :  18:48:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol I will get saving the kitchen tubes then, i usually throw them to the dog to destroy or the gerbil to chew... Just have to break the news to hubby ;-) he may throw a hissy fit, but the deposit is paid...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000