Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

MontyBoa
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2011 :  20:14:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Me and my partner are due to go down to see my family for 2 weeks on monday, however Monty has gone blue and near shedding soon. I am slightly worried as he is due a feed on sat and I'm not sure if he'll take it as he is due to shed, My partners Dad is looking after him while we're gone but I was wondering if there were any tips anyone would offer so he doesnt panick (he is totaly new to the looking after snake thing) like if Monty doesnt strick, how soon after his shed should he try again sort of thing?

Margwar
Yearling

United Kingdom
211 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2011 :  20:17:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my opinion, 2 weeks missed feed isn't going to be a massive issue. If he doesn't feed, don't worry, I'm sure there's plenty of people on here who's snakes have gone a long time without feeding and no harm has come of them.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2011 :  20:23:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, they're all different - some will eat during blue, some won't. In the circumstances, I'd leave Monty till he's shed - it won't do him any harm to miss a meal (which he might refuse anyway.)

If he's just gone blue, it could take him the best part of the week to go through his blue and clear and then shed. As soon as he's shed, he can be offered a meal - and by the time for his next meal after that, you could well be back.

I'm sure he'll be fine - good luck.

Go to Top of Page

MontyBoa
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2011 :  20:26:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's alright then, im lucky to say Monty hasnt missed a feed as yet, and the last thing I want is my partners dad getting all worried that he's not eating! i'll have to get him to keep an eye on the water situation, Monty has decided to curl up under the bowl to shed! dont want to go upsetting him thats for sure :)

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2011 :  20:32:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of mine have taken food when they have been in shed at some stage of my ownership however i now dont offer anything to them if they are going though this as it gives a stronger feeding response once they are all clear.
I`d advise you to tell your "future father in law" to just change the water every 2 days and do the odd spot clean. Dont bother with food at all, thats what my friend does when he looks after mine when im on holiday. Basically you have someone who is doing you a great favour so make it as least complicated as possible. Monty wont be in the slighest bit affected by missing a feed or 2, he wouldnt have regular meals in the wild.

Royals owned "lots"

Edited by - hodgie on 31/03/2011 20:34:08
Go to Top of Page

MontyBoa
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2011 :  20:48:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's hoping he doesnt upset Monty too much with the water change over, thats where he is hiding poor wee soul!! he certainly was giving me the evils today!! no wonder too I would if I were Him :) as for not giving the "future father inlaw" a complicated task, he would moan about that!! he's dreading when we move out and he wont have us to pester he's like a wee child with the " can i see him can i can i " :P

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2011 :  20:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think I overlapped with Margwar and Hodgie - Well, my first thought was, leave feeding him, but didn't quite like to say - and depends on how confident your partner's dad is of course - yes, I wouldn't worry about leaving off feeding, personally.

But about the water bowl - if Monty wants to hide under it - why not just give him a second one, and keep that changed - it'll up his humidity, good for shedding!

Go to Top of Page

MontyBoa
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2011 :  21:09:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds like a good idea, he's got a tiny one but kept knocking all the water out he's a very clumsy snake last time he decided to fall in it (he's a bit of a climber) and freaked himself out! but i'll deff put a new one in for him tonight

Go to Top of Page

johnboy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2011 :  21:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi dont worry to much about the feeding my grace wont touch food while in blue,get your father inlaw to check the shed is ok rather than feeding.Hope all goes well.
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  09:01:53  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Checking for a clean shed is important,adding a moss hide to raise humidity will help and could be done before you leave, also, why not get a heavier water bowl that cant be up-turned or spilt? exoterra ones are very heavy.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

MontyBoa
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  09:17:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i purposefully went for a dog water bowl, because when we had our corns, they loved curling up under it, as does Monty, he is looking very comfortable at the moment so i will be checking alot of the time and leave a to do list posted to his wee home so he knows what to do cheers for the advice!! :)

Go to Top of Page

MontyBoa
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  12:26:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bit of an update, Monty Shed and ate fine, nothing for me to worry about, went away for 2 weeks, got a new reptile :D a lovely sandfire bearded dragon and have a bearded kingsnake on the way so a good 2 weeks lol

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  15:58:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool - glad you had good hols and Monty was ok.

A bearded kingsnake?

Has it got a beard like Kelfezond's?

Sorry guys, couldn't resist ...

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  17:36:14  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oi i've jusst read this. My beard is fabulous! Like a lions mane... A small sickly lion ... Going bald ... And ginger

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  17:41:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww, it's a cute beard! Nothing wrong with it!

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  17:52:39  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to replicate grunt's awesome one. He's my new god

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2011 :  18:09:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh well, Grunt's beard ... incredible! Tolkienesque I think might describe it.

Grunt's beard is a national monument!

Go to Top of Page

MontyBoa
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2011 :  08:27:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol i love it when typo's make u look silly lol i meant banded kingsnake :P

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2011 :  19:52:30  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I actually believed there was a bearded king snake...no im disappointed!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2011 :  19:59:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - I googled it!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator