New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  09:00:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ask this, as I often see that they should be handled regular, but never a mention if its every day or what.

I try to handle mine every day, apart from the 24hours after a feed.

my female would rather curl up and be left alone but is OK once I have dragged her out of the viv, where as the male, he cant seem to get enough of it. I could have him out for 20/30 mins, put him back, and after a break, maybe a swim in the lake (water bowl) he will come to the glass looking, if I open the glass and hold my hand in, he will come straight up and climb up my hand. Are you sure they dont get some comfort from being handled?

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London

Wendigo
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  09:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine get handled everyday =D (unless like you said after a feed, but i leave 3 days) They both seem to love it. Chepi likes to wrap around my neck, and Wendigo likes to get inside my bra, or get around my wrist very tightly, rest her head in the middle of my hand, then relax lol. She always likes to wrap herself REALLY tightly, and she tried that around my neck, but i always keep a couple of my fingers between them and my neck, luckly lol.

0.2.0 Normal Royal Python. Wendigo & Chepi
1.2.0 Dogs. Bedley,Nuna,Holly.
0.2.0 Hens. Orakiah & Astrid
1.2.0 Tortoises. Ishi, Pandora,Squirt.
0.2.0 Rats. Mouse, Flubba.
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  12:05:57  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Not too often they're all normally in hands off periods due to eating, shedding or refusing food. I've not held scar for months due to his starving himself. I've yet to have a handle with the new ones as they refused their first feeds. The only ones I can handle are Diablo and Cleo but as they feed every 5 days I only get 3 days handling with them due to 24 hours hands off before a feed and 48 after.

And no they don't get comfort being held as far as we know :) he's probably just either hungry and on the search for food or seen an opportunity to come out and escape ^^ My diablo does the same thing when I hold my hand in there he's naturally curious so he'll always just jump up on my hand when I open the glass

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/

Edited by - Kelfezond on 19/04/2011 12:07:32
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  12:31:18  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my bow likes to be out every noew and then, and bullet would prefer to be out every day, even 12 hours after a feed. i only get them out if they are out and about, or sometimes i will disurb bow but only if i ahve not seen her in a few days. i do this because i see it as they want to come out and try and escape or explore when they are out and about in there cage, and when they are hiding they would rather hide away on their own. its more on the snake itself, every snake is different, and in time you will find out what they prefer

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  13:11:45  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Very rarely handle mine.

Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  13:21:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
once a week, or thereabouts

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  14:45:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whenever they ask, unless it's bedtime after a beer or two, the settling in period for a new snake, or I'm smoking lol

Oh, and obviously the after feeding period. When in shed they retire anyway.

I let the snakes decide. I'm a slave to my snakes ...

Go to Top of Page

Dio
Yearling

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  16:26:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dio's out nearly everyday except for the 48 hours after he's been fed. He usually stays out for 30min-1hr having a good nose around and always trying to get under the sofa.

0.0.1 Royal Python (Dio)
0.1.0 Angora Cat (Blue)
Go to Top of Page

Strawb
Yearling

Germany
120 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  17:23:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tia comes out for a little exercise every day except 48 hours post feed. She's out for about 20 minutes or so and doesn't seem to mind.
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  18:17:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think the snake will always decide..

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  18:21:46  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I realized the other day that scar hadn't come out of his hide for over a month :p if I didnt occasionally poke a finger in the hide to see if he would move he could be dead for all I know xp

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  18:28:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kel i kno how u feel , we have had zac three weeks friday and i dont think i have seen him for 2 and a half weeks easy !

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  18:29:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duke comes out most days when he isn't out of service. Trying to break the shyness and snappyness out of him with short regular handling sessions. He is such a character but he never asks to come out he sometimes shouts at me to leave him alone. So probably about 4 times a week for 10 minutes a pop unless we go on the balcony for an evening sunbathing session, he likes that.

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  19:19:13  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Florence is like kelf's scar, if i didnt get her out then you would think i just had a nice box of stuff with a light in it! When i do get her out she is very happy to be mooching about but because of her retiring nature i just get her out once or twice a week. Boris the boa is up for cuddles anytime of day or night! He comes out most days except the usual feeding, shedding exceptions.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000