Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  10:05:08  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone! I wanted to share my thoughts on a video I made last night, I brought a friend over who has never had contact with snakes before except looking through glass and my girlfriend videoed myself and him basically chilling out with the snakes while I taught him the best ways to handle and get them out their vivs without being bitten, I wanted to show anyone watching who didn't own a snake how easy it is to tell the difference between a snake who's ready to bite and a snake who's chilled out, it amazed my friend how relaxed they get once they're out their vivs.

We started on the really tame snakes such as Cleopatra and eventually I had him holding Anubis, my newest biting machine who'se tagged me 6 times in total now including once before the video started recording. It's great to see a complete snake newbie with a little advice able to take a snake like Anubis from his viv and handle him without being bitten or struck.

My friend was particularly nervous of Pandora as she's the biggest in my collection (about 7ft and as thick as my leg)
He was too nervous to get her out the viv despite my encouragement so I got her out for him and he held her back end while I showed her off to the camera a bit, eventually he had the head sniffing around him and while he is visually scared in the video he kept calm and the snake was fine with him, the camera unfortunately lost battery power just before he was handed Pandora so we didn't get to see him hold her alone but I assure you it was an amazing feeling to know that I'd helped him do something he was afraid of.

The video was 20 minutes long as it deals with 6 snakes and a lot of advise which is too large for youtube so at the moment I'm splitting it into 2 parts but it got me thinking....

Have any of you done anything like this with your friends? Have you caught it on video?

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  11:47:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats cool, spreading the knowledge. Look forward to the videos your collection is great so any excuse to have a look.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  12:59:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds great - a video or videos like that could come in very handy for beginners too, say someone who wants a snake but has hardly ever handled one. I think the majority of us have bought our first snake with scarcely any experience of handling - I know I did.

Another good use it could be put to would be to show to any family members apprehensive about a snake joining the household.

I look forward to the videos.

Edited by - n/a on 25/04/2011 13:02:02
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  13:03:42  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
First part has finally uploaded after about 3 hours, here it is.

Second part uploading as we speak :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajZKGlW-dp0

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  13:31:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent! Really really good!

Hey, your pin's 'Freya' but in the vid you called her 'Lilith'??

Sounded like 'Lilith'...

Still awaiting pt 2. Eagerly.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  13:33:05  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah she's called Freya, Lilith and Daisy at the moment lol.

I wanted Freya, my girlfriend wanted Daisy and the people on my facebook voted for Lilith xD

I'll pick one eventually

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  13:39:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lilith! I vote for Lilith!!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  13:59:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow its really filling out and growing well. Your beard that is.

Snakes are looking good too, It weird having someone explain all the traits I look for but don't really think about. Good job K.

I vote Lilith too!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  14:22:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

Wow its really filling out and growing well. Your beard that is.

Snakes are looking good too, It weird having someone explain all the traits I look for but don't really think about. Good job K.

I vote Lilith too!

LOL - I thought that about the beard too!

Yup, as Bob says ... Lilith!

(It is such a cool cool name lol!)

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  14:25:32  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
GOD DAMN IT!!!

In the video you hear "We should probably lock some of these"... YEEAH BLOODY DO IT NEXT TIME!!

I've lost my god damn Mojave, any tips on finding him?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  14:43:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Kelf!!

There is a sticky or definitely info on escapees - and look on TCS as well. At least he's bigger than a corn hatchling.

Take a few deep breaths then start taking the place apart a fragment at a time ...And look in the silliest places where you'd think they couldn't possibly be, like the paper hanky box or the underneath of a chest of drawrs or even under a pillow, and the warmest too...

Everyone's worst nightmare - never happened to me yet, touch wood! but I have lost small kittens (curled up underneath the fridge!)

Keeping fingers and toes crossed, snakes are keeping tails crossed, cats are keeping paws crossed!!

Come back at once, Anubis!

GOOD LUCK!!

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  14:57:11  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, that was good we found him. I lost my mind and started tearing the place apart. Took everyone out the room, lifted everything, removed everything. Found him between the floorboards and skirting boards eventually after taking a wooden panel off the wall. I'll post a picture of the escapee in a moment.

To celebrate, here is part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2s_tQQGGyk

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  15:08:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aaaaaahhh!!!

huge sigh of relief!!

Congrats!!

(Will now watch video.)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  15:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow - again, really really good!

I don't think Lloyd looked like a sissy at all - he seemed perfectly confident, especially for someone who'd never met snakes at all.

Anubis looked pretty confident too - he soon started tongue-flicking. I reckon the little guy will calm down soon.

Hope he's now safely in his viv and meditating on his sins - naughty Anubis!

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  15:37:54  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He's lucky he's in his viv and it's summer if it was winter that radiator would be on full and the pipes he was coiled around would be scalding hot. Needless to say the hole he got into is now covered up.

Thanks for the nice comments and yeah Lloyd did bloody fantastic. A half-lie on the fact that he's never handled a snake I let him hold Scar a few months back but we were both pretty drunk at the time so he didn't really remember him although I seem to recall being impressed of hos easily he picked up the handling back then :D

He'll be buying his first royal in a few months

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  16:07:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You tempted fate filming yourself casting a lock aside but glad he is back and safe and also revealed an escape route that otherwise you'd have not known about.

Great video, its really diffuicult to describe to someone how to handle a snake without actually having a snkae with you so I'm sure lots will find this useful.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  16:08:49  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hopefully :D It was kinda hard describing to lloyd how to do certain things but I think he grasped it all pretty well, didn't expect him to attempt Anubis' after watching the little git tag me previously

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  16:33:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol, yeah it takes a brave fella to put his hand in after seeing what they do when annoyed, well done to Lloyd.

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  16:58:31  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great vids kelf, and i think lloyd did really well!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  19:22:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have watched the videos and its a noble idea but a few things jumped out at me.

Handling a new snake after only one feed, would get that snake feeding regular before handling as you know royals can be put off food rather easily.

Stating a snake will not bite is also misleading have seen the softest of snakes turn in a second, also saw the fiercest of Kings turn soft but there is no way I would ever say a specific snake will not bite.

I may be wrong on this one but I'm sure I've read that Pandora has not fed yet, please let her settle in and get feeding with you and then handle to your hearts content. as I say I may have picked that up wrong and if I have I apologise.

But for me the biggest worry was the boa and royals in the same room. The boa should still be quarantined and a alcohol gel isn't really enough to stop the spread of IBD, it is uncommon yes but not unheard of, or anything else the boa may have. I cant stress enough how important quarantine is with these species.

As I said above is a noble idea and nice to see your mate getting to grips with this though.

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  20:24:15  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GMac

Have watched the videos and its a noble idea but a few things jumped out at me.

Handling a new snake after only one feed, would get that snake feeding regular before handling as you know royals can be put off food rather easily.

Stating a snake will not bite is also misleading have seen the softest of snakes turn in a second, also saw the fiercest of Kings turn soft but there is no way I would ever say a specific snake will not bite.

I may be wrong on this one but I'm sure I've read that Pandora has not fed yet, please let her settle in and get feeding with you and then handle to your hearts content. as I say I may have picked that up wrong and if I have I apologise.

But for me the biggest worry was the boa and royals in the same room. The boa should still be quarantined and a alcohol gel isn't really enough to stop the spread of IBD, it is uncommon yes but not unheard of, or anything else the boa may have. I cant stress enough how important quarantine is with these species.

As I said above is a noble idea and nice to see your mate getting to grips with this though.

As for saying the snakes won't bite I don't recall which snake I was saying that about in the video but I'll assume it was Cleo because she was behaving the best on the day, I think people can assume that I didn't mean she was incapable of biting but that the chances were very slim, I had checked on all the snakes before we started filming so I knew she wasn't blue (which is why I knew scar was blue) or looking particularly aggressive, sorry if it confused you but I didn't mean it in the way it came across that she definitely wouldn't bite.

You are right Pandora has not fed yet but I am required to get her out once a week to check her breathing to make sure she doesn't need another vet visit and I saw no harm in doing that on the day we were filming.

And Gmac I've spoken to you personally about having the boa and the royals in the same room, I was unaware of the dangers of IBD when I purchased the boa and there is no other room I can keep her in, she was kept with other pythons with the previous owner and none of them have come down with any illness so I'm hoping that she's okay.

I realize alcohol rub isn't a miracle but it's important to get new owners (which are who the video was mostly aimed for) to realize that it's important, especially with cross-species like boa to royal as in the video. I also make sure I don't go clockwise around the room so I start on the royals meaning nothing goes from Pandora to them. When handling them I avoid letting them get in contact with anything the other snakes will so my royals use my bedroom and I take Pandora outside and downstairs to handle, in the video I didn't have that luxury but I did pick her up and hold her in the corner of the room. Yes I know it's not perfect but it's the best I can, if it makes me a bad owner for having a boa and royal then I'm a bad owner but I don't plan on getting rid of her now.

As for getting them on one feed and handling straight after, yes I know it's not ideal but I did it anyway and I made sure the handling was quick (Besides if you review the video I had to clean out her RUB and I actually did this on camera so she would have needed to be taken out anyway)

Edited by - Kelfezond on 25/04/2011 20:26:56
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000