New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  22:38:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen an advert for a sub adult ridleys cave racer and I hit google and WOW they are stunning, I know they get pretty big but wondered if anyone knows about temprement etc.

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  08:47:47  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i have never really researched them, but i now that they are not great at handling and like to have a very big and excentric enclosure that is close to what they are like in the wild, so can be more of a snake that likes to hide

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  10:44:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice. They're the ones that dangle off ledges and wait for bats to fly past. Does that mean you have to feed them on bats???
On Google there seems to be a few people holding their Cave Racers without the snakes looking stressed. Maybe it just depends on the snake?

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  10:51:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlueDragon

Very nice. They're the ones that dangle off ledges and wait for bats to fly past. Does that mean you have to feed them on bats???
On Google there seems to be a few people holding their Cave Racers without the snakes looking stressed. Maybe it just depends on the snake?

BATS????

Lol! Glad I never got tempted with cave racers!

I've heard a bit about racers in general - as has been said, very lively, very fast and flighty. Also heard of a blue racer ... oh wow!

Good luck with your search - they sound like a cool snake - will be googling them later after feeding time. Tank Girl (Ziska) this morning, and Missy Madam too.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  14:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have only heard of them yesterday in an advert and won't ever rush in. They just looked really pretty but their 2 foot strike range is a bit scary. They look really beautiful though. I did wonder that he is selling because he can't handle it then I start to feel sorry for the snake, as the geeza on essex reptile show said, the second you become scared of your snake its time to rehome it, you dont feed, water and clean as often as you should because your scared of getting bitten. I'm terrible, I see an advert on gumtree and preloved (I like to browse just in case that albino royal appears) and I read too much into it.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  14:57:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, if the vendor is decent, they'll discuss the snake with you, and be honest about the temperament - both Missy and Ziska came to me on the clear understanding that they were 'feisty' lol. Also you should be able to go and view the snake, no strings, and get a clearer picture of the situation.

Also racers, I believe, need a larger viv, can be diurnal, and are a whole different ball game ...why not, if you're really attracted? That's why I have Ziska and the corns - a bit of variety lol.

Also - hijacking a bit here - but I put Zisk into a nicely packed viv, lots of aspen and hiding places, a luxury she couldn't have in a shop, obviously, and just let her hide and feed. She was out today, no aggression, very calm, just looking at me inquiringly, and only one tail rattle when she got her mouse, which went down so fast it scarcely touched the sides ... I admit I still have to try handling, which will be when she starts coming out more, but feistiness can sometimes be in the eye of the beholder. Missy has been the same. (I may be tempting providence here, I know ...)

If you really feel drawn towards the RCRs - well, as Monty Python said - and now for something completely different!

ps amendment - you WILL need a pair of long tongs though - and I sure as hell don't know where you'll find frozen bats!

Edited by - n/a on 01/05/2011 15:01:10
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  15:08:17  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
from the name i would guess they like dark, damp conditions as they live in a cave, i would guess they like to climb as will climb up ledges and catch bats and birds out the air, so like a carpet python would supply a good amount of height, and would guess at temps they dont need to be very high like royals as caves can be quite cold. this is only a gues, so would research them on google

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  23:39:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

I sure as hell don't know where you'll find frozen bats!

Wakey in the winter!

I'm really not prepared for it so I'm taking my enquiry no further, but its been put in the for another day folder.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  11:28:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

I sure as hell don't know where you'll find frozen bats!

Wakey in the winter!

I'm really not prepared for it so I'm taking my enquiry no further, but its been put in the for another day folder.

LOL! You said it! First floods, then the earthquake, now the ice-age ...

Good luck with your quest for your snake - it's a bit like a magical mystery tour, or at least it was with me. All the entrancing possibilities and then suddenly - ah! That's it!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  14:38:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds a bit odd but I've had three snakes from babies so I think its about time I turn my attention to helping the snakes that are out there in need of a home, and a bit of a project to boot I'm confident in my handling technique now, would be good (and scary as hell dont get me wrong on that bit) to try it out on a not so docile snake. Duke is a handful but its not aggression you just have to be careful to not startle him and since discovering he is a night owl like me I don't need to worry too much about that anymore either.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  15:41:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, it's not odd at all - as Strawb says, it's good to take on a snake that most people might not want, or a snake that needs a good home, and I really agree with this myself.

As you know I have a mixture of shop, secondhand and strange ... Cy and Ziska came from shops but they certainly aren't everyone's cup of tea; Missy was advertised as having 'an attitude problem' ... I do like a challenge, and sounds as if you do too.

I confess Shiloh was an indulgence, as I'd always wanted a caramel corn. But, yes, I myself like the 'problem children', whether furry or scaly.

Good luck in your quest.

Edited by - n/a on 02/05/2011 15:58:17
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000