New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  00:37:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

we have had to make zac's cage smaller as hes off food and we think the viv could be abit too big for him . my other half held him while i faffed about . hes definately skinner than wen we had him , he weighed 190 g a few weeks back , the last time he ate was on the 25th march . we noticed his skin seems baggy /saggy and his tummy looks pinkish . also his belly scales feel quite sharp , hes smooth when he moved forward over ur hand , but backwards they feel like they are protruding . what does this mean ?? very worried

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  01:50:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like he is about to go blue soon. Duke's belly went pink and his scales were are ragged and scratchy and a few days later he was as grey as a gorillas back hair.

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  08:30:44  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All typical signs of an impending shed, time to raise humidity and leave well alone. All will be normal again after.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  08:55:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you say that his belly scales seem like they're protruding when he's pulled backwads that's normal. Snakes belly scales are very tough and hard and it's how they move about. They 'grip' with their belly scales and shift forward by moving them in a rippling motion. If you watch you'll be able to see how they do it. Sometimes when you hold him you might feel a belly scale stick in your hand a bit, and that's just him gripping you while he's moving about. It's nothing to worry about : )

As far as the baggy skin and pink belly are concerned, as others have said he's probably going to go into blue soon. It's how they go before shedding. Again nothing to worry about : )

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  10:50:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, as others have said. Also, he's not likely to be in the mood for eating now until after his shed. Many corns will eat when in blue but it's rare for royals to do so. (Saada once did - I didn't realise she was dusty and pre-blue and her rat was ready, so tried her and she took, but usually they refuse when preparing to shed.)

Just let him do his own thing now; when his eyes clear gently raise the humidity (I just place the water bowl at the hot end, being a lazy git) and he's not going to starve with the extra delay ...All the very best for a successful feed next time you try him.

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  13:06:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks guys , i thought that it could be due to shed time , he felt all baggy . first time i held him last nite to check him out since we have had him . his scales just seemed sharpe on his underbelly , abit like rubbing a cat the wrong way ? if u ran ur hands toward his head they were sharpe , which i havent noticed before . hes alot skinnier than the picture it seems now tho , hes not as round and u can see his back bone more ?

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  19:08:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Laws

. hes alot skinnier than the picture it seems now tho , hes not as round and u can see his back bone more ?

I know its hard but dont worry, with time you`ll learn all these little things dont mean much, we`ve all been where you are now. After he`s shed he`ll probably eat.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  00:05:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you all for replying , its difficult as we are fairly new to snakes and want the best for him and to see him do well . the corns are coming on great , just want the same for zac ! they dont realise how much we worry these pythons lol . if only they could talk ! and heres me wanting a pastel too ! lol x

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000