Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  15:58:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

im falling in love with boa's , damn u youtube stop allowing people to put their lovely boa's on there! lol ! i now want one. quite badly . ugh here we go again ! my other half likes them too , but doesnt want one to get too big . can anyone reccomend any ? also ive heard they need high humidity and some say they dont , so what viv ? would a wooden one do ? i kno they are prone to warping , im not as sold on the idea of rubs , but i kno it would makes things easier than having to get lights etc and another viv . all i owuld need is a mat and stat and bingo . if any one can share some boa knowledge.......

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  16:31:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha - you've been bitten by the boa-bug!!

I nearly bought a Hogg Island Boa (unfortunately it was sold by time I reponded to advert) but then I found Ziska so all was well.

Yes, I too wanted a big snake that didn't grow too big - Hogg Islands and Crawl Cays don't get as big as the BCCs and BCIs. In fact I think they get to 6' or so - Ziska will get to 9'!

As far as I know it's the Brazilian Rainbow Boas (BRBs) who need the high humidity - I understand the Hoggs and Crawl Cays are okay in vivs.

Try reading Lotabob's threads on his Hogg Island, Sanke, and Scubadude has Crawl Cays and Hoggs too, as I remember.

The only drawback to boas is that you mustn't keep them in the same room as pythons, because of the risk of IBD (Inclusion Body Disease) which may not affect boas but may be passed on to pythons and kill in a short time. As far as I could find out, when researching this, you can keep colubrids in the same room, so you ought to be okay with the corns (but someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

Happy boa-hunting!

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  16:37:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well thats ok coz i have room in our bedroom for a big boa viv. oh bats this is bad . very bad . ive been bitten and my other half will go mad . ahahaa ! kodi is eyeballing me at the min up and down her faun , i will take that as encouragement . ive been looking at albino columbrian ones , have saved aload of vids from youtube (the cutest ones possible ) to show the Oh , tee hee ! as an adult going by the normal rule of thumb , a 4 x 2 would be ok i think...correct me if im wrong . i love how big and slow they seem .
wow ziska will really get that big ? shes not gona be haevy bodied tho is she ?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  16:49:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - you've got it bad!

I don't know about the albino columbrians - must google them. Ziska will have a 5'x2'x2' viv when she's older, although if she reaches 9' and seems cramped there will have to be a rethink ... er, like getting rid of my 1940s sideboard and the 4' fishtank lol. As far as I know a 4'-5' viv ought to be suitable for a smaller boa but other people will know more about this.

Ziska's a colubrid and won't be heavy-bodied, but I reckon she'll be quite a handful ... that's why they call them gopher snakes, I reckon - they'll gopher anything - she'll certainly gopher me at the moment!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  17:01:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow - those albino redtails are fabulous! Sort of peachy. Cool!

By the way - amendment - I've realised that the smaller boas are BCIs as well - thought it was just the big guys who were boa constrictor constrictor/imperator.

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  17:20:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
see this is what confuses me , the difference between bcc's and bci's ! and which are the dwarf species , but even they grow to 6 foot . my Oh is worried as she is only 5 foot 2 , and wants something she can manage to . ive just eye'd upstairs a tv stand that we have thats big...could always get rid of the tv which we never watch up there...... ehehe ! i shouldnt be getting excited really , as we cant have one till later in the year and sar said we cant have anymore but i heard that after the first one....

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  18:08:00  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm 6ft 1 and I struggle with pandora who is 7ft, most of the struggle is down to technique and lack of practice but there is deffinately a part of me that finds it easier due to my size, your other half would have trouble with an adult bci I think but then again im sure there are snake handlers smaller than me who handle them fine.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  18:11:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was looking into gettin a boa a while back and the bcc and bci confussed me too

bci is the common boa and bcc is the red tail boa if i remember rightly. the regions where they come from in the wild are different i think, and the husbandry differs too i believe the bci is more forgiving in husbandry and calmer

i have seen some boas claiming to be red tails but the price seemed too cheap, i think u have to be careful when buying one as the bci can have red tails so they might be marked up as bcc, so you could end up with a bci and have the set up wrong

this is all from memory so i may be wrong

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  18:16:36  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it depends on what you want and what you can provide
a regular bci has a chance of getting to 8ft, so would need a pretty big viv, at least 6ft
if you want a boa that will get big, but not that big that you def need 2 people to handle it safely, then a hog island boa could be good
this is what i have, i wanted a nice size boa that i could still handle, so got a female hog island boa. they will need a 4ft viv
if you want a small boa, then a crawl cay is good, as males get to about 3ft and females about 4ft and they only need a 3ft viv.
so is up to you, i would do some research and see what you prefer

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  20:43:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

it depends on what you want and what you can provide
a regular bci has a chance of getting to 8ft, so would need a pretty big viv, at least 6ft

8ft boa will be comfortable in a 4x2 viv, not what I would do personally but is suitable for that size of a snake.

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  20:51:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think ones that are 7-8 foot wouldnt be rite for my other half to be comfy , im thinking maybe a hog island as they are chunky but could still be fairly manageable , ive beenw atching lots of vids on youtube and watching how they handle / manage them , i think we could fit a 4 x 2 viv quite easily , not too sure about one any bigger than that . does anyone kno wnythin about what bats was saying regarding keeping them away from pythons? like not in the same room ?

Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  20:53:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

The only drawback to boas is that you mustn't keep them in the same room as pythons, because of the risk of IBD (Inclusion Body Disease) which may not affect boas but may be passed on to pythons and kill in a short time. As far as I could find out, when researching this, you can keep colubrids in the same room, so you ought to be okay with the corns (but someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

not really wrong Bats, however they can be housed in the same room after a quarantine period of at least 3 months or so before housing in the same room as your royals, for the very reason you have mentioned.

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  21:27:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hmm im liking the sound of hogg islands . male commons i could handle but still not sure about the missus , any one kno of any good breeders etc? how are u finding urs danny ? i would def like a larger snake see , and we are still waiting for zac to settle so we can handle him , and my corns are babies still lol

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  21:43:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could try RFUK, or Preloved - I found one on there in the next city to me (that was the one that was sold) and at the time there were several for sale in ... wait for it ... Crawley, Sussex lol.

Don't know when the hatching season is but bound to be a fair amount of hatchlings around in the next few months?

Good luck with your quest.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  21:50:19  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i am loving mine, but not handled her yet as she is still setlling in. i now someone if your interested that has female crawl cay boa about to drop a load of babies, but dont anyone with hog island boas. like bats sed, try rfuk and preloved.

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  22:14:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cool , find out abit more for me if u could ? or u can give them my email make_it_wonky@yahoo.co.uk ? ive researched some hog's and like them too . the missus def hasnt said no yet and ive been rabbiting on like an excited kid , feeding her with info on the dif ones lol .

Go to Top of Page

STICKS
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  19:02:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi Laws just thought i would let Sonny say hi samon red tail i got him i aug2010 just 3ft long at the mo but he can eat for england.
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  19:08:54  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I love that snake i've seen the picture before but every time i'm stunned, i'm very jealous of you

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  19:37:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow!

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  22:28:27  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Hi laws, this is Boris, he is a BCI, 3 years old and only 5ft 2 inch at the moment. Being a male means he is smaller and less chunky than the females. Likely to grow to 6 or 7 feet but without the heavy weight of the female girth means that this is quite handle-able!

Boas are good natured, slow, easy to handle snakes with similar needs to royals. Same temps and humidity levels but they need more space. Boris lives in a 1.5m long viv.

The BCI's are the common boas with different sub species within, the hog island is one of them. The BCC is a bigger beast, often referred to as red tails.

I cant recommend them enough!!!!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  00:27:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would love a hogg island , or even a albino common , but i have had to comprimise (she hasnt said no yeeeey ! ) so we have said a crawl kay i think , shes still worried that hog islands would get too thick and thats what scares her more so than the length , shes not very tall hehe . but u never now , she thinks boris and sonny are gorgeous tho . i wished someone lived close to me in brum so we could come handle some peoples boa's , we dont get time off very often together and trying to organise going to a show would be a nitemare

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000