Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  21:00:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I love getting involved with a Boa conversation because I LOVE my litte Hogg! She's almost 5 months old.

I haven't any new pictures of her but oh well here she is in all her beautiful pale glory.

Anyway my plans for this little beauty is a 6 foot X 2 foot vivarium, slightly taller too to allow a bit of something to climb though she is in a 18L RUB at the moment and that should do her another 6 inches of growth.

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  01:11:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
awh man , i do love ur snake ! i would LOVe a hogg but worried about the chunkyness , im lucky shes said yes in the first place lol ! cant have one till after september....we will see tho ;) lol . how long is sanke now ? x

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

stumpy
Yearling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  09:19:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lotabob that hogg is beautiful
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  14:12:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Stumpy, I love showing her off, the camera doesn't do her justice too, she is something special (in my eyes anyway lol).

Sanke is just over 2 foot and 133 grams, though that was a few weeks ago and she does seem to have filled out nicely. She will be a nice chunky snake but not as chunky as an adult royal and I have plans in place for between 6-7 feet just to be on the cautious side, though in reality she probably wont even hit 6 foot. The one thing I have noticed with her even at her size is she is strong, again not as strong as Duke though. Really I would say a Royal will be a stronger animal and a bigger animal so you'd have no trouble with one.

Go to Top of Page

stumpy
Yearling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  14:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She is something special, I would show her off too. Is it the females that are smaller than the males? Will have to do some research on Hoggs
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  14:29:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Females are larger in Boas. they can be quite a lot bigger too.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  15:29:24  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
An adult boa will be stronger than an adult royal as a boa is near enough pure muscle, whereas a royal is half fat half muscle lol

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  16:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An adult common Boa will be stronger, the jury is out for me as to whether a smaller 'dwarf' Boa would be, Duke is 100% muscle and he is as strong as an ox, I often compare handling Duke to wrestling with Hulk Hogan's arm and he hasn't hit his peak size/weight yet, that bit where he stops using all the food for growth and muscle and lays down some fat. A big royal will be thicker than a hogg and providing they were a similar size my money would still be on the royal been stronger though the Boa will be faster. I would say though in reality I'm sure that an average hogg will be bigger in length than an average royal even though it lacks the heft of a royal so the hogg would have the slight edge. Interesting train of thought now though, maybe Harry Hill will have to set up a who is stronger, there is only one way to find out scenario.

Edited by - Lotabob on 07/05/2011 16:18:22
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  16:19:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want a hogg , but I also like crawl cays , I'm pleased the OH has said we can have one , she's put off by the thickness of hogs , we looked at loads of pics and vids online . We need zac to eat first so he can get bigger and be more chunky !

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  17:13:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.freewebs.com/shedyourfears/thestarsoftheshow.htm
Thats about as big as they will ever get.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  19:03:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And check out snakebyte Tv's 'My boa constrictor swears' - there's a full-grown sunset hogg island on there ... oh, and that coral albine ...

Love the pics of Sanke by the way, Bob.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  20:17:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw that one, I'm a Snakebyte junky, every Wednesday

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  01:34:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i love snake bytes , their humour is a little off at times lol ! but love looking at all the snakes !

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  01:46:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just watched the snake bytes vid , sar said no to the hogg , said its too big lol! i love the albino normals and sunkissed!! she said no again . looks like a crawl cay then . someone suggested i get abigger missus !lol

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  12:40:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol!

Hey, have you seen the pics that Scuba's just posted on other reptile photos, of his crawl cay? Gorgeous snake.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  13:12:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The crawls are cute. Hoggs are a bigger version of a small Boa but as far as I know the crawls are smaller. Though I'm Hogg crazy, I love them so a bigger missus would be what I'd do lol.

Scuba's Boa is so cute, I love their little faces.

Edited by - Lotabob on 08/05/2011 13:13:15
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  14:37:29  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
crawl cays are small, males get about 3ft and females about 4ft, whears hoggs males get about4-4.5ft and females about 5-5.5ft, and hoggs can get as thick as a fit mans thigh, like the one in snakebytes video

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  18:01:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
update .... went to prestwood this afternoon and handled a 4/5 foot common male, boy was he strong . i think its frightened the missus :( the guy in prestwood is really great , altho it seemed like he was talking us out of gettin one . mentioning the power with the bites u can get and the bruises that they can give wen they pack a punch . that if they have a strop on them u can have abit of a battle . he mentioned that dwarfs are more nippy most of the time and he sold one to someone a year ago and she said even to this day she has to be so careful going into their viv . he also said commons are more docile than dwarfs . has anyone got any opinions that can back this up ? or disagree ?

we are now not 100 % sure to get one or not :/ however we would like a snake abit more out going and less timid than another royal with a better feeding response ? any ideass? thanks guys :)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2011 :  12:24:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A nice problem to have - there are so many snakes!

One that seems to fit the bill is the Children's python (strange name which has always puzzled me - apparently it was first identified by a guy called Children.)

It's a gorgeous little thing, outgoing but generally placid, grows between 3'-5' but is more likely to stay at the smaller length, care and space requirements not too complicated from what I've gathered at first google, so to speak.

Could fancy one myself if I had the room!

Go to Top of Page

scubadude
Yearling

United Kingdom
326 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2011 :  19:09:42  Show Profile  Click to see scubadude's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Laws just to give you an idea I have 4 island locale boas, crawl cays and hog islands none of which are in the slightest bit 'nippy', i think it really is a case of look and see, like people some are really chilled and happy some are hyper and iffy tempered. I think handling has a lot to do with temperament, It seems to be down to confidence of keeper, if the snake realises that by hissing and striking you'll leave it alone then that is the welcome you'll get. Even some wild species are learning this it would seem, there are now groups of rattlesnakes who have learned not to rattle as this give away their location during 'rattlesnake round-ups', if they rattle they are found and subsequently killed, so now they don't rattle as a defence mechanism, prefering to remain still,out of sight and alive.

1.0 Classic corn snake
2.3 Normal Royal
1.1 spider royal
1.0 Mojave Royal
1.0 Butter Royal
0.1 Pastel ph ghost Royal
1.0 Enchi Royal python
1.0 Pastel royal poss ???
1.1 Yellowbelly Royal
1.1 Cinnamon Royal
1.1 Fire Royal
1.1 100% het Clowns
1.1 Crawl cay boas
1.0 Hypo hog island boa
0.1 Hog island Boa
coming soon
0.1 Bumblebee

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.

Edited by - scubadude on 10/05/2011 09:29:34
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000