I've handled Ziska - sorry no blood!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  15:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know how you suddenly know that the time is right?

Ziska, my gopher snake, has been with me for over two weeks now. I bought her unseen from Blue Lizard but she was well worth it; a beautiful little snake and very high quality. I was told that she was a good size; gophers, like their close relatives bull and pine snakes, are very long as hatchlings and Ziska, at 4/5 months old, was described as being a particularly well-grown specimen. 'With an attitude to match,' said the shop. When I, with my limited knowledge, suggested that this was all bluff, I was told, 'Not with this one.'

In their native California, gopher snakes, who are non-venomous colubrids, do a very good impression of being rattlesnakes, so as to deter predators. Well, I like a challenge ...

She was. The moment I unpacked her she went into full rattlesnake mode and the morning after she arrived was to be seen at the front of her viv, telling the cats who was boss. She eats like a tiger, swears, hisses, strikes and rattles her tail like an electric toothbrush.

I decided to let her settle awhile before handling, but this afternoon I knew the time had come.

Armchair walkies? Armchair walkies? Me? Ziska? I'll have you know I'm a Wild Snake, I am! I'm a rattlesnake, I am, I AM!

Well, that's what I thought she said. Interlarded with language that she shouldn't know at her age.

I knew the only thing was to reach in and pick her up, never mind the S-shape, striking, huffing, hissing and all the rest of it. So I did. She didn't bite; she didn't even turn on me; she just went on huffing loudly, spreading her jaw in rattlesnake shape, glaring and rattling her tail against my hand ...

She's gorgeous. She's what I call 'desert colours' - rich ochres and umbers; her scales slightly drier and rougher than the smooth royal and corn scales. Her head is small and broad, with a little pointed snout and large eyes with the distinctive gopher snake 'teardrop' marking beneath them. I let her get used to my hands and my smell; soon she wanted to explore, but she was zippy as a corn hatchling and I told her that she could explore a bit next time. I did wonder if she might musk on me, but she didn't. (Thank goodness!)

Within 10 minutes she had calmed completely. Any careless movement of mine brought on a huff and a hiss, but otherwise she was pretty laid back, and a real pleasure to handle, although she did feel like a 'wild snake'. As she may grow to 9', I felt this was a good start.

I felt privileged.

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  16:29:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh thats brilliant, you were brave and rewarded for it. Go BATS (BoundsAroundTamingSnakes).

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  17:23:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - thanks, Bob!

Honestly, it wasn't a question of being brave - I just knew I could pick her up and it would be okay.

In fact not as bad as the time I had to grab a 4 week old feral kitten out of his derelict garage 'home' (and who did bite - ouch!)

Go to Top of Page

stumpy
Yearling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  18:01:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done BATS, braver than me, my corn rattles and I think must get those big think garden gloves out, but she is good only ever had a go once. Lotabob got all the blood
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  18:12:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol - thanks, Stumpy - I still can't decide whether the serpent guardian angel was watching over me or whether it was a case of fools rush in!

Lol, yeah, all snakes have their moments - that's what makes them fun to live with.

Umm well, sometimes fun - got the carpet cleaned up yet Bob?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000