New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jen.white
Snake Mite

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  03:29:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 19 year old female who has only eaten twice since I got her. I only had her since end of December (29th or so) so I don't know a feeding history other than she will eat every month or every other month, small live rats. Her owner passed away so I can't ask him. No cloudy eyes, no wheezing, nostrils appear clear. Hasn't lost any weight 4.3 lbs which is what she was when I got her. Active, always trying to find away to escape. Temp 88-92 one end, 82-85 on the other. Drops to upper 70's at night. Humidity around 50%. 75 gallon aquarium, has places to hide, glass pie dish for water, aspen for bedding, branch to climb on. Kind of new to the ball python but I have a hognose ( for 7 years), a young bull snake and a young corn snake. Could use suggestions. I have tried scenting, tried leaving in dark quiet room to itself, separate container, her terrarium, frozen warmed up, fresh killed and live rats. White and bi-color. HELP

1.0.0 western hognose
0.1.0 ball python
1.0.0 bullsnake
1.0.0 cornsnake
0.1.0 box turtle

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  06:28:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For starters i wouldn`t bother lowering the temps at night. Welcome to the forum.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  07:39:43  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't be worried at all, especially for a 19 year old. I have a couple of adults that haven't eaten at all yet this year. Is she losing any weight or condition?

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  11:32:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome : )

Firstly I wouldn't feed live rats, it's far too dangerous. A rat can kill a snake, even an adult. And in a confined space the risk is much higher. But if that's what she's used to then you might not have a choice now.

Glass tanks are not great either, they're a nightmare to keep the right conditions. Also for the snake it's like living in a glass house. ...well, the are : /

I agree also that you shouldn't drop the temprature at night.

But over all I wouldn't worry. Royals are like that, and I'm just waiting for the day my boy turns into a non-feeding swine too! X )

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  11:41:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As others have said - no need to worry. It's what royals do. It's been their mating season and their minds are on sex, not food. I've had Saada, who's 2, since Nov 10, great eater, but she's only fed twice since the beginning of Jan. Surahi, who's 5, has been the same. She has now restarted feeding and has even accepted rats, which are better for royals.

It's interesting that your girl's restless. I know this can have various causes, but before Surahi began to eat again she didn't seem to know what to do with herself - and now Saada has begun to get active too, which I hope means a return to her normal appetite. (Just my theory, but I wonder if anyone else has noticed this behaviour in royals?)

Good luck - she'll get there.

Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  11:58:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
off topic for a second, can I ask why your recommending to not drop the temps at night? I have both my viv's setup to run lower from 9pm to 9am. Everyone has said this is the correct way to care for them. So, whats the right answer?

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

jen.white
Snake Mite

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  13:04:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for everything. I was thinking it was due to breeding season, and I wasn't worried about weight, she was 4.3 lbs when I got her and she is still 4.3 lbs. I don't do anything to drop the temp it just does it on its own. She has 3 heat sources on her enclosure and a portable heater set up in the room so the room is between 85-90. I agree about the live rats, non of my other snakes eat live, they get frozen or fresh killed. But I haven't had the best luck with that. You all were a great help.

1.0.0 western hognose
0.1.0 ball python
1.0.0 bullsnake
1.0.0 cornsnake
0.1.0 box turtle
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  18:55:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markmifsud

off topic for a second, can I ask why your recommending to not drop the temps at night? I have both my viv's setup to run lower from 9pm to 9am. Everyone has said this is the correct way to care for them. So, whats the right answer?

What purpose does it serve? They know day and night by the fact day is light, night is dark, when they cool down they slow down, digestion slows etc which is all perfectly fine so long as its not too cold but you don't have to bother, keeping them warm 24/7 is just easier.

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  10:24:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed, if they're too hot they move to a cooler area. If you drop the temptrature then they might not be able to keep as warm as they'd like to be. It might stress some snakes.

jen.white: Can I ask, what are the three heat sorces? A Royal only needs a ceramic bulb, an RI bulb or something simmilar as a heat sorce in the hot end. What do you have set up for her?

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

jen.white
Snake Mite

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  01:32:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bulb wasn't enough so she has a 2 heat pads under aquarium with turf over that. Since I couldn't find a big enoug one she has two of those. I use the turf so she wont burn herself. When I got her she had the run of a room which I don't feel comfortable with. But even with those I still need to use a portable heater. I have a thermometer on each side. Right now the cool end is 75 and the hot is 85. I have the vent closed so no cool air gets in.

1.0.0 western hognose
0.1.0 ball python
1.0.0 bullsnake
1.0.0 cornsnake
0.1.0 box turtle
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  11:07:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would try and get her into a viv or a RUB. They hold the temptrature fine, glass tanks don't. Rubs are dead cheap really, so you might like to try one with her.
One bulb should be enough, the heat mats under the turf won't be doing much to keep her warm enough. If she's too cold then this might be part of the problem.

I agree, I wouldn't be happy for my boy to roam the house either : / What a strange thing to do.

Also, you need lots of ventilation, a constant flow of new air, or she could contract an R.I. So blocking the vents is not a good idea.

Try to get her into a more snake friendly enclosure. Glass tank are no good.

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000