New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  15:43:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woke up to a crinkled heap of skin in zac's hide , but he wasn't in the viv , he had managed to get into the partitioned bit , its not as secure as we cud have made it as we only had hardboard , to section it off , the gap wasn't big but he was in the other side ? Not sure how we can make it more secure as we didn't wanna use any sealant . He has shed cleanly we inspected him , but we can't find the heas of the shed as its def not on him . His eyes look really clean and clear , noflakey skin or anythin . Should we try and feed him tonite ? Or wait ?

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  15:59:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey that's great! Yeah, the little gits are ALWAYS losing their specs somewhere in the viv - I have a collection of headless skins lol.

You could certainly try feeding tonight - he ought to feel like a new man. Good luck and hope he takes this time

Edited by - n/a on 10/05/2011 16:00:22
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  16:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks bats , he looked really pretty when we held him to check . How can I make the middle more secure ? Its hardboard cut to size but is a little wobbly , it won't fall etc , but he managed to push enough to get thru a aquare little gab about an inch or abit more so it moved enough for him to squeeze thru and curl up in a hide we left in there . We have wedged a squeezed up loo roll in there for now until we can think of somethin ? U think its worth giving him some food now ?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  17:06:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, to be honest, it sounds as if he's determined to get through there. I don't mean to disagree with the people who've advocated a smaller space for him, but the way I see it, he's now got two smaller spaces to choose from, and he seems to feel okay in them both ... Why not leave the partition in place, as long as he can go safely from side to side without loosening it further, and let him choose? (Sorry if this sounds daft.)

The other option is fixing it more securely; I'd use those angle bracket thingies, or screw some battening on to the wall of the viv (on the side away from Zac; if softwood battening is going to come into contact with the snake it needs to be varnished.) Then you could screw the partition to that. Any sharp or rough edges can go on the side Zac's not going to use.

Yes, I'd definitely try him with a feed. (I'd try him first of all and then attend to the partitioning tomorrow; it won't do any harm just to pick him up and put him in a rub out of the way, even if he's sleeping off a meal.)

All the best.

Go to Top of Page

stumpy
Yearling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  19:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck on the feed tonight
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  20:28:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the mouse is defrosting as we speak im so hoping it goes to plan . still worried we havent found the head, but we didnt see flakey skin or anything but will give him another inspect in a few days or so . i did make sure the partitioned wood piece was tighter in place this morning , its hardboard and one side is varnished so we got that the side facing him . whats battening ?? lol

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  20:37:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah. It's those long thin strips of wood that are handy for sawing up and connecting say the walls of a rabbit hutch ... umm ... as a bodger-type carpenter myself it's hard to describe. Sort of like lathes. They're usually described as 1"x2" or 2"x4" ... thin as a lathe ...

I think if Zac had any stuck shed on his head you'd notice it Shahi once did, and he looked as if he was wearing a lace cap. In a day or two the lost specs will turn up, as if by magic, or you'll spot them dangling from a branch or hide.

Good luck with the mouse - keeping fingers crossed!!

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  20:40:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks lil :) how is ur collection doing ? x

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  20:54:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They're great, thanks - I had a handle of Ziska on Sunday, and she carried on alarming, but didn't bite me; Surahi's just eaten her second rat; the big corns are settling and eating again ...Saada's still fasting though and so is Shiloh - she hasn't eaten anything yet but she's inquisitive...a good sign I hope, though I'll be glad to see her take her first meal, as you can imagine.

Fingers crossed for Zac tonight!

Edited by - n/a on 10/05/2011 20:56:23
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  21:18:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats good all of ours a great, we fed kodi tonite we normally feed her every 5 days but we have slipped and are doin it tonite . now shes been an active nosey "mom im starving feeeeeed meeeee" kinda -up the front of the viv mode for the last 3 days. my OH said "shall we see if she strike feeds ?" and kodi up until now has been too prim and propper to wreste and constrict her fluff so i was shocked wen she darted for the fluff so hard she ended up upside down in a coiled up ball im so pleased!
also Kai had a regurge earlier this month so we left him 10 days no contact , no fussing and tried feeding and he turned his nose up . so last nite we got a tiny pink and popped it in and draped a towel over his faun and 15 mins later no pink ! yay!
and with zac shedding , its all going on in this house . just popped the mouse by zacs viv , (we rubbed abit of our hamsters beddin on it and warmed it rite up ) and jiggled , he nose came out of his hide and then went back in . so we have put it down and covered his viv with a towel . i forgot to brain in so maybe before we go bed shall we try that and warm it back up and put it in again ?

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  21:23:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you fully unravelled the shed. Its the first bit to come off and gets rolled up right into the middle of the shed. Unless its come off in bits. COngrats on your first royal shed though, thats one more milestone past. Duke refused his first attempt at a feed after shedding so don't worry if he does, there is always next time but I have my fingers crossed for you. I agree with BATS as long as the viv is secure the divide doesnt really have to be, as long as it cant fall over its fine, let him think he's getting one over on you.

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  21:47:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah we unravelled it as it was still moist , no sign but havent looked in his hide properly yet so will try that . he is so close ot the mouse so im hooping he wil take it later , should we try braining it and puttin it back in just before we go to bed ? xx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  21:53:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, glad Kai's feeding again, and Kodi ... they are so funny when they do their first coil - I'm sure they don't know what's happening, except it feels good. Bless them!

I don't think it's essential to brain Zac's mouse or rewarm ...erm, I'm guilty of worrying, shall I do this, or that, myself, but keep telling myself it's best to leave well alone. I've had to make myself keep away once the rodent is in the viv. Very hard to do though!

Fingers still crossed - and hope that as I type this he's chowing down his mouse!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  21:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd leave it alone too, just go to bed, leave him to his own decsions overnight and fingers crossed you'll not have a mouse corpse to deal with in the morning.

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  22:20:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok guys i will leave alone , had a last peek just and hes kinda about an inch or so infront of the mouse peeking out of his hide . i do hope its gone in the morning , fingers toes and eyes crossed.....

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  22:30:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he is sitting peeking he is waiting for those lights to go off and the coast to be clear.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  22:32:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol - yes, sweet dreams and no mouse and a full Zac in the morning!

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  13:36:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sadly we woke up to the mouse :( :( also he had got back into the other side of the partitioning . my other half said there is a gap between the glass and the hardboard about the thickness of her thumb which he is obviously squeezing through . so i think we are going to remove it and just pack the viv out again as we dont kno if he can get back thru . we are thinking he wants the coolness of that side . we are going to try feeding him again in a week and if he doesnt eat then take him back to where we had him from so they can show us how to assist feed . sarah said he has definately lost weight and looks now quite under weight. im now worried again :(

Go to Top of Page

Lucy1012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
82 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  13:49:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how long have you had him now Laws???
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom