Damaged skin
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2011 :  18:07:40  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yesterday i was checking Blitz and i found this damaged skin !
Can anybody tell me what is this and what caused it ? and if it will disappear after he will shed ?

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2011 :  19:11:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it wasn't the ticks it will be the water blisters that did it. Did you ever have Blitz to the vets as blisters that burst can become infected.

They are slow to heal untreated and it will take a few shed cycles for the damage caused by the problems you've had to shed out.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  08:35:25  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Since keeping a snake as a pet is not common in Syria, i'm having problem finding a vet who have expirience in treating snakes, some are afraid of snakes others don't treat this kind of animals, so i'm trying my best to do everything by myself.
So if there's anyway to help my royal that i can do please just let me know :)

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  13:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All you can do is keep the environment clean and keep an eye out for infections etc on any wounds, if you do notice any open wounds get hold of some iodine (or if you can tamodine, its iodine with the sting taken out) and using a piece of cotton wool gently rub it on, front to back dont go against the scales they may snag the wool and cause problems. If there are no open wounds or infection then all you can do is wait, keep an eye out for reinfestation as ticks can lay upto 2000 eggs at at a time so its very important to be vigilant, just keep the enclosure clean and use paper towel as substrate until all issies have gone away.

Is Blitz eating?

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  20:25:53  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Not yet, i tried force feeding two weeks ago and he didn't open his mouse, so i'm givin him a rest and i'll try to feed him normaly this week end.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  21:05:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FORCE feeding is a last resort, how did you try force feeding, did you kill the rodents, I thought you couldn't get prekilled?

If you couldn't get the mouth open you were doing it wrong, it is very simple to get the mouth open, thats the easy part.

Your problems aren't to do with its ability to eat, its the ticks, then the blisters and the very very bright setup you have, its just not right for such a shy and nocturnal snake. You need to change the setup unfortunately, its suited to a day active species but not a royal. Switch to a red bulb or ideally an infra red bulb, and cover the whole enclosure after sunset, give that a few weeks and see how Blitz settles.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2011 :  08:42:01  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I had checked Blitz twice for the last two weeks and he is over the ticks, there's no ticks any more thank God, and i have already covered his viv 24/7 month ago

but i think i have to change the bulb to red one.
can u tell me how to simply open his mouth in case he didn't eat for another month.

Go to Top of Page

stumpy
Yearling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2011 :  11:06:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats good he has no more ticks, but you def. have to change them bulbs far far to bright, they like darkness and plenty of cover in viv, get it all right and he bound to feed.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2011 :  18:36:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah those bulbs are most likely to be your problem, its covered but thats pointless if its lit up like the Vegas strip in there. They don't see red well (or if they do it tends to not bother them too much). You might want to try get hold of a smaller plastic container and a heat mat setup if reptile friendly bulbs are hard to come by. A company called Internet reptile will deliver anywhere in the world if you email them, tell them what you want and they will get back to you with a quote.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2011 :  08:01:35  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thank you, I'll replace the bulb with a red one today, hope this will helps.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2011 :  19:08:40  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, i've recently changed the lid from glass to wood so i can put though it a bulb into the viv, and today i changed the bulb to red one, and here's the pics

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2011 :  19:12:32  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i will also change the decoration soon, i have those two big hides, but Blitz seems to prefere the cartoon box whice is more tight and feel safe

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  09:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure Blitz will like that much better. But you should have a guard for that bulb, juat incase he burns himself on it. Now he has a different light and heat sorce he might start to come out now. You can make one fairly easily if you can't find a one to buy. I'm sure someone will give you instructions soon : )

Sorry if you already knew : /

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  17:48:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is so much better, to us it looks as bright but to a snake its a lot better. Is the new wood lid well ventilated?

And as above its something hot Blitz can climb on so it needs a guard, just a cheap mesh one will do anything that keeps the bulb nd the snake away from each other.

Edited by - Lotabob on 18/05/2011 17:50:51
Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  19:20:14  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes the lid is well ventilated, but belive me i did my best to find a bulb guard and i couldn't, so i'm trying to make one by my self.
btw, it really looks more comfortable for him, thank you for the advice tomorrow i'll try to feed him, i think at night it will be better, so crossed fingers wish me luck my friends.

Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Yearling

United Kingdom
437 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  19:32:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd put a light guard top of the list of things to get/do tawfik47

2.4.0 Royal python
0.0.2 Cornsnake
1.1.0 Extreme red Albino Hognose
2.2.1 Crested Gecko
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon

Edited by - MrsA82 on 18/05/2011 19:33:19
Go to Top of Page

stumpy
Yearling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  19:50:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck on the feed, and all the best in making your guard a.s.a.p.
Hope for good news tomorrow?
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  21:54:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't attempt a feed for a week, give him time to calm down a bit, settle. This may take a few weeks but give him at least a week with no fuss to let him get over his Vegas experience.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  08:28:41  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
His not leaving his hide, i catch him twice moving, he just went to drink some water early morning and hurry up to his hide again, he is fo afraid, i think like u said, from his Vegas experience
Although, i'll put the guard issue top of my priorities.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  14:38:00  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You won't believe this guys, Blitz just perfectly shed this morning and every water blisters and every damage has GONE !! thank God ...
I'll post some pics soon.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000