New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tobila
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2011 :  22:51:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi guys, basically looked in the viv and there was one piece of shed from the bottom of my royal's mouth and a little bit of his neck and there are very tiny shed scales dotted around. So i decided to bathe him in a warm bath, after 20minutes the skin peeled only very slighty around the edges but it is like the shed skin is glued on?! i cant seem to peel it away, i tried pinching it and pulling but his skin pulled out with it, it's like the shedded skin is glued on... im very worried

MrsA82
Yearling

United Kingdom
437 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2011 :  22:56:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try wetting a pillow case in Luke warm water and putting the royal in there for about 30 minutes

I'm thinking the humidity wasn't high enough did you spray in the viv's Walls
Or move the water bowl up to the hot end ?

2.4.0 Royal python
0.0.2 Cornsnake
1.1.0 Extreme red Albino Hognose
2.2.1 Crested Gecko
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2011 :  23:53:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AHHHHHHH whatever you do DON'T pull at the shed skin, if its not separated properly you'll tear his new skin underneath.

Pillowcase method is a good one to try to moisten the shed but even then, no pulling at it. You can gently rub from front to back to try encourage the shed to come away but thios is not a scrubbing excercise, As long as the tail tip and eyecaps come away you don';t have to overly concern yourself with the rest although it will be better if all comes off, if you've already damaged his new skin he will go into shed again very quickly, (they do this when sheds go bad). Humidity increase is definitely required though to avoid the next one going bad.

Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  11:03:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would add damp moss to the hot hide and wait for a few days, and as Bob has mentioned do not try and peel it off, if its stuck its not really ready to come off.

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

Tobila
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  18:08:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i didnt even notice him going blue in the first place so i didnt raise the humidity at first until a piece of shed was on the bark...so i bought a shedding aid spray and eventually after an hour of 'scrubbing' and massaging it all came off even the eye caps...phew and wen it was stuck on he didnt seem to want to go into the moist hide, i held him over it and his head went in then came out again :/
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  18:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next time the tell tale signs of a shed is first a pinkish tint to their belly, then they go very dull almost like they've been rolled in talc or something, then they go 'blue', their eyes cloud over for a few days and then the skin colouration goes almost back to normal and at this stage they are ready to shed. You must have a stealth royal like mine, I don't see him all that often so I can understand how you'd miss the signs. I raise humidity using a damp face cloth placed over the hot end hide, usualy puts the humidity up to about 70%. I do this when the eyes cloud over and every day I will rinse out and wet the face cloth until the skin has shed.

I would say that if you have pulled at the shed as in your first post and scrubbed it off as in your last post its quite possible that its damaged his new skin and he will go back into the shedding process pretty much straight away. If there are any parts of the new skin that have come away it is very important to keep it clean until the damage has been shed out.

Have you had your Royal long? Is this his first shed with you or just his first bad one?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000