New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andys000
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  20:03:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a royal python and she is about 14 months old...its been like 4 weeks she didnt ate at all...also i got her before arround 4 weeks or more. I tried even putting her in a different box and make the brain of the rat to come out.. what should I do...??

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  20:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Royal Pythons are well known for their ability to fast so it maybe just that but if you can give some details about your husbandry that would help to identify any obvious problems.

What size and type of enclosure is she kept in?
How many hides & where?
Handling frequency?
Temperatures?
What does the snake weigh & eat?

The best thing at this stage is don't worry, 4 weeks to a Royal is like you skipping breakfast.

Go to Top of Page

andys000
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  20:41:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the python its about 2 ft long , and she weights about 342g. She is handled almost every day. she haves 2 hides. she is in a viv is 24" x 15" x 15". her temperature is 28C and her humidity is 59%
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  20:43:29  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Deffinately lay off the handling until she is feeding, Royals are very timid and they can get stressed out by being handled too much. The rest seems fine though. I wouldn't worry though 4 weeks is nothing :)

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  20:55:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
28oC is a bit cold in my opinion if thats your hot spot temp or too hot for the ambient temp. Humidity is fine.

The temps I aimn for is 32oC in the hot spot and then ambient is normally around the 24-25oC mark.

She doesn't sound a bad weight for her length though I have heard of bigger for her age its not really anything to worry about. How long have you had her?

Go to Top of Page

andys000
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  21:23:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
about 5 weeks or a few days less...
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  21:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If she hasn't eaten in 4 and you've had her 5 its probably the move thats just freaked her out a bit, they stress really easily. First thing is definitely no handling now until you get 3 consecutive feeds in her, eek the temp up a little bit if its required as above, they know when its not warm enough for digestion and just don't eat.
One thing to know is was she in a viv before? If she isn't used to having the amount of space you get in a viv it may be (an annoying opinion as I'm sure your viv wasn't cheap) that she needs moving back to a smaller tub or RUB (Really Useful Box - a brand of box with locking handles that are a big hit with snake keepers) though you'll not need to go that far initially just see how she gets on. Also how are you heating the viv?

Edited by - Lotabob on 21/05/2011 21:33:12
Go to Top of Page

andys000
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  21:49:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
with a ceramic bulb
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  21:57:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All sounds OK, Just make sure your temps are good, and give her some time, you'll soon have her eating again. I'm sure I don't need to say this but just in case I do I will, lol. All bulbs needs a guard.

You'll have to post some pictures when you can, I love to see others setups and beasties, and borrow/steal ideas for our own.

Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Yearling

United Kingdom
437 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  22:05:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mojo feed yesterday after 5 week she was new just takkesmtime settling in
Although it was only a mouse I'll work up to rats when it's time

Heats the most important thing as well as the size of viv/rub with royals

2.4.0 Royal python
0.0.2 Cornsnake
1.1.0 Extreme red Albino Hognose