Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  09:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the first time ever Tig didn't want his rat last night! 0_0

I prepared it the same way, I presented it the same way, I kept trying every hour or so, I left it in over night... still there this morning. Not even a flick of the tounge...

What could this be? If it was winter time I'd automatically assume the horny little bugger had other things on his mind, but it's nearly summer now so that can't be it, right? Could it just be that I'm feeding him too often now? I still feed him once a week, should I try to reduce this to, say, every twelve days? Every two weeks? He has hit another growth spurt and isn't the little worm I brought home anymore. He must be nearly three foot long now. Could it just be he isn't as hungry anymore now he's a big boy?

He still hasn't pooped either, but as I said somewhere else the time before last time he shed he pooped, and then pooped again three days later, so I wasn't worrying that he hadn't pooped this shed just gone. Could he need to go? Would a bath help? He's still drinking plenty.

I know one missed feed in a million isn't anything to worry about, but with Tig not being the healthyest snake to start with... well I suppose 'paranoid, worrying mummy mode' has set in a bit. You know, when you get paranoid that something bad will happen 'cause your kids not eating brocoli? Kinda like that. It's stupid, but you feel that way anyway!

Anyone have any ideas?

Just me and my zoo.

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  09:48:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It just happens, thats it im afraid.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  11:51:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, as Hodgie says - it can just happen.

I know how you feel though - Surahi, after a diet of mice for 5 years, has now eaten 3 ratty meals, and yesterday I confidently presented her with her fourth (larger) rat ... no. And I was beating myself up for being over-confident, for perhaps placing the rat wrong or disturbing her ... Shahi wasn't feeding either, as his shed was expected, but then he did shed last night, so I finally recycled the rat, via Shahi, at 3 this morning, after an initial refusal on his part too ...I was agonising, despite knowing perfectly well that sometimes they just don't take.

How much does Tig weigh? I go by Blackecho's guidelines for feeding - under 400g, every 5 days, 400-800g, every week, over 800g, every 10 days, and find this works for me.

As for Tig's dumps - he'll go when he's ready, I reckon. I expected a massive one from Shahi last night, but nothing as yet. He didn't go after his last shed either, and when he did, it took me by surprise - for a moment I thought it was him curled up in the hide!

Tig sounds fine - but, yeah, we worry! All the best.

Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  17:16:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was exactly the same sunday night a month or so ago Cerberus just stopped eating he'd show plenty of interest but no go in the eating department lol, then he just started again had three feeds and a shed since, so on snday I got the (well the rat looks nice dad but you can think again if you expect me to eat it) routine, and he's not pooped either been looking in every night since his shed but no chocolate logs lmao, although he has left me a few uraites, and as to my point try not to worry easier said than done I know :)

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  17:31:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - I went upstairs this afternoon and was met by a POWERFUL aroma - talk about reeking havoc??

Shahi. His bamboo hide has been soused in F10 and left in the garden to er, sweeten. In 2021 maybe!

These things are scent to try us ...

Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  19:32:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL Bats see how could you even think of depriving us of those wonderful insights?

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"

Edited by - reptilemadd on 24/05/2011 19:32:45
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  21:54:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - thanks - you mean my PUNgent remarks eh??

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2011 :  11:32:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone, and nice to see you back BATS : )

I have no idea how much he weighs, I don't have any scales that I think will work? I'm trying to get hold of some though, but dunno if I'll be able to understand them when I get some.
BATS, I think I get that, but I think I get a lot of things till I figure I'm doing them wrong : / He is putting weight on though, I can feel it when I hold him. He's not fat, but he's growing : )

Maybe it is just that he's not needing to be fed quite so often now. And he is up a slight size again in rats, so maybe he's still full from the last one : ) I suppose having a perfect feeder that one day refuses can knock you back a bit! But he didn't even flinch, nothing... like he thought I was trying to poison him. Silly boy.

I shall wait patently for his next, presumably huge dump in deep antisipation X )

I thought I'd try again on Thursday/Friday, is this a good idea or should I just wait till next Monday?

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2011 :  11:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah - you sound like me - if I have to read an instruction leaflet, my brain just goes to jelly ... I know what I'm doing - I just do it differently to anyone else. But I have that guide of BE's written up in the back of my snake book, and frantic little bits of maths scribbled everywhere as I've tried to gauge the correct feed ... the snakes don't seem to mind though. Another good guide is just to go by the girth, I believe. If the rodent's no fatter than the snake's belly. In which case Surahi's small rat was suitable for Shahi, who's normally on XXL weaners ... incredible how those tiny necks can expand. He won't be getting fed for another 10 days now, after that larger meal.

As Tig's an adult, I'd personally leave him till Monday; he'll be fine. All the best.

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  10:08:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, don't mention the word math to me, my brain crashes : (

Yeah, I go by the girth. When he's eaten there's only a slight bulge, so I figure that's the right size.

Tig was actually acting a bit strange yesterday. Firstly I look up from the sofa to see him half out of his hide balled up with his head under the rest of him... that's really not like him and there was nothing to scare him. And so I take him out to see what's wrong and his breathing is really eratic. I mean his breathing's a bit eratic the best of days, but this was all over the place. And he just seemed a bit quiet, not so inquisitive as he usually is.
He seems better this morning, his breathing is better. But I'm keeping a very close eye on him. I might well just be being paranoid, but I know that if Tig was to have to deal with something else making him poorly it could well be the end of him. So it's OK to be a bit paranoid, right?
I'll see how he does, but I'm sure he'll be OK again soon. Maybe he's just having a few off days.

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  11:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's good to be paranoid - I'm deeply thankful for the times I've been paranoid about my lot. Having said that, both Saada and Surahi have been acting oddly, curling up in odd attitudes. This is the first spring I've had royals, and wonder if it's the time of year, maybe. But yeah, in Tig's case, coupled with the breathing, I'm not surprised you were alarmed. I wonder if he was lying in that attitude in order to breathe more comfortably? Like some asthma sufferers sleeping more comfortably in a sitting position, I believe? (I know nothing about asthma.) Glad he's better today, and hope it was a one-off. Fingers crossed for him.

Oh god, yes, maths ...I was a very docile kid but even I rebelled when they made me take my maths 0 level ... I just signed my name and chilled out for the rest of the time.

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2011 :  09:09:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, he's still not acting himself. He's very jumpy, for one thing, and has seemed to develop this habbit of sitting with his head out of his hide and resting up against the outside. So his head is facing up. I know this means that he's trying to breath better, so I'm still worried about him. As for him being so jumpy I've desided, just for the weekend and maybe Monday too depending, to only use the nebulizer with him once a day. See if I can't chill him back down a bit. But if he's not feeling well then I get the jumpyness. Just seems like he really doesn't like me at the minuet : (

His breathing is a bit calmer now, but still it's more eratic that usual. I'm just hoping it's a bit of a bad spell and it'll wear off soon.

I never got as far as to do any O levels... far too thick anyway. Not only was I in thick-class for maths, but I was actually part of the even-thicker-than-thick class, 'cause I was too thick for thick class.

I'm glad I can cary on being paranoid though, I'm definatly good at that!

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2011 :  14:45:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - no way are you thick - just too smart for school maybe? Perhaps I shouldn't say this with 0s and As coming up and all the students on here, but I dropped out too - it was a relief ...

My snakes have carried on like Tig sometimes - that 'do I know you?' routine, but in view of Tig's health problems I can understand you're worried it could be something more. I would be too. I think when you know your snake you do get a gut instinct about what to do ... I've been watching Saada for 48 hrs, her shed seemed very delayed, and then this morning, despite her water bowl being at the hot end, I did something I'd never normally do. I sprayed water, not on her, but a fine mist around her ... half an hour later, a perfect shed.

Hope Tig responds to the new routine - yeah paranoia rules ok! All the best.

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2011 :  10:47:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I didn't drop out, I didn't even make it out of school. Only just got to year nine. My M.E. went into a relaps and once I was getting better it was made doctors orders for me not to return to school. Too risky. I was taught at home till I was sixteen then, never went back. Yey! I never did any exams and I've never set foot in a Collage. I could have gone, but I'm tired of being put in the thick class now, had far too many years of that humileation. And I couldn't go in now 'cause of my phobia. But I don't care, they wouldn't teach me anything I'd find useful anyway. I got books for that X )

Well. I may have solved the mystery of the stroppy Tig. You might not beleive me, but he's in blue again, again! Seriously if he keeps this up he'll be ten foot long by the time his growing years are up! I can't beleive it, how fast he's growing now. I had a thunk too, and all this growing and shedding every five minuets seems to tie in with his nebulizer treatment. So it must be doing something for him, and I'm chuffed it is : 3 It still doesn't explain his other unusual little behaviours, but I'm going to wait to see what he's like after his shed.
He's very shy now, and curls up in a ball if I lift his hide, but I get that and knowing that all it is is him shedding again (If I'd guessed I wouldn't worryed and posted about him again) reasures me he's OK. I just wish he'd stop worrying me like this... you must all be a bit tired of it now : /

By the way, I forget. How many years do they grow for before slowing? I mean how many years till you can class them as fully grown? Roughly. Is it five? Tig isn't even a year old yet 0_0

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2011 :  11:39:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, I wondered about a shed, but then saw he'd had one recently - that explains it. (My Surahi's acting just the same; had HER out this morning to check if she was blue, no sign, but was she grumpy!)

I've learned loads about herp respiratory problems from your posts - I for one am not tired of them, but it's a shame you and Tig have had to go through all this - do hope things improve for him soon, or at least stabilise. Sorry to hear about the ME too - that must have been horrible.

I'm not sure what age is fully grown for a royal - hopefully there'll be someone more experienced along soon. I know breeding age for a female is third winter, and at least 1500g weight, though a male can be bred at a year and at least 600g. My Surahi's 5, and I regard her as full grown; she has only shed once in her 6 months with me, but of course there has been the Big Fast, and she was on mice before - it'll be interesting to see what her shedding timetable is like on regular rats (fingers crossed of course.)

All the best.

Edited by - n/a on 30/05/2011 11:46:26
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2011 :  12:30:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I'm hoping it'll explain everything once he's shed, and he stops this strange behaviour. Never seen him act like this before, but I suppose he's a growing lad, mood swings are inevidable X )

You must be worse than me worrying all the time with all the snakes you have! How do you cope? I think with me it's that snakes can't express themselves like other animals can, so it makes it harder for you to read them. Is it the same with you? I do worry myself over my other pets all the time, but I can usually work out what's wrong 'cause they can kinda tell me in their own ways.

I still have M.E. today, but it's a lot better than it was back then. I had a lot of crap to deal with then that I don't have to deal with as much now, so I recon that's helped : )

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2011 :  13:55:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - I worry ALL the time! I wake up in a panic and have to do a snake check and cat count in the small hours ... I'm terrible! I don't really see them as that hard to 'read' though, just different, but I've only owned snakes since autumn 09 so I can't really call myself experienced. Like you I don't go out much; I'm a reclusive bipolar, but I have to have some contact with the natural world; snakes are my 'walk on the wild side' and so are the cats - and they give me a reason for getting up in the morning (AND an outlet for my worrybucket nature lol!)

Sorry to hear you've still got the ME. Yes, I think in that situation you have to live the life that suits you and not what the world thinks you should be doing - I sometimes think I'm lucky really - being bipolar is weird, but at least I can do my own thing ... if you see what I mean lol

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  10:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's good when people just leave you alone and mind their own bee's wax. I suffer from chronic depression, so I kinda get where your at. I take Triptophan now though and that seems to have done something... although I couldn't tell you what exactly X )

I offered Tig a smaller rat last night, but still no interest. He's still in his mood though, so never mind. I'm hoping for a compleat skin this time, 'cause they're getting there now. He still has a problem with the sides of his neck though.

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000