Royal Python Health
 Head lice lotion for mites.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  20:24:28  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My boa has mites again after over a month without. I put him into his new viv and all was well until this week. I think it was due to swapping the electrical fittings from the old viv without treating them first.....stupid mistake!

Anyway, I've been looking into the life cycle of mites, chemicals and non chemical treatments and after frontlining Boris before putting him into the new viv i thought that it would be harmful to do this again so needed a safer way to treat him and the viv.

Others on the BRB have mentioned Nix head lice treatment which sounds good but its not available over here. I looked into it and it contains permethrin 1%. which is a synthetic pyrethroid. A synthetic version of pyrethrum (plant extract). The synthetic version works better apparently. There are alot of lice treatments over here but it looks like the only one with the same ingredients is Lyclear.
I plan to get this and use it at the end of the week.

Here is a link to a topic on its use with very good directions.

http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/general-discussion/17014-nix-treatment-snake-mites.html

Also there is a topic on the BRB forum by welly called mites diary where it gets a good mention by CDN Blood.

I'll keep you posted! cant do anything until Friday as Boris has just shed and is about to eat dinner!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan

Dio
Yearling

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2011 :  21:07:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that sandi. It's killing the eggs that we've been having trouble with.

0.0.1 Royal Python (Dio)
0.1.0 Angora Cat (Blue)
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2011 :  08:28:46  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Warning! When buying lyclear from a chemist, dont mention that its not for human use. The 'jobs worth' behind the counter promptly took the box out of my hand and put it back on the shelf!!!...Bi*ch! I had to drive miles to find another chemist! grrrr!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2011 :  11:16:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no ... sorry to hear - both on the mite front and about your adventures at the chemist's. Some people eh?

All the best with Boris and mites begone!!

Go to Top of Page

Dio
Yearling

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2011 :  15:30:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it the cream one or the liquid spray that you got? I will remember not to mention it's for a snake.

0.0.1 Royal Python (Dio)
0.1.0 Angora Cat (Blue)
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2011 :  15:41:13  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Its the liquid, cream rinse! The bottle is 59ml and the whole lot can be mixed with 4 litres of distilled water to preserve its life but im just going to measure out 15ml into 1 litre of water, then mix more when required. The whole snake should be sprayed in a clean, empty rub then spray every nook and cranny of the empty viv. All viv hides and fittings need spraying too, then pop snakey back in onto paper and with no water for 24hrs. Repeat weekly for 3 weeks.

Boris is getting dunked tomorrow! I suspect he may be a bit miffed but he'll thank me later!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000