Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python Health
 New member of the family - Sort of. Advise?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SurroundedByMadness
Yearling

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  17:28:18  Show Profile  Click to see SurroundedByMadness's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My uncle is moving to Germany and cannot take Donkey (his royal) with him so I have the pleasure of looking after him, this could be temporarily untill they find somewhere they can keep pets or forever if they cant.
Donkey is around 5 years old and hasn't fed for around 7/8 months. My uncle has never weighed him so I have no idea how much weight he has lost. However, Donkey is very chunky and doesnt look underweight, and he's extremely strong.
He feeds by leaving the rat in overnight and he'll eat it in his own time.
Should I just keep trying every fortnight and leave the rat in his viv overnight?

I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message. - Steve Irwin

Normal Royal Python - Kaa
Normal Royal Python - Donkey
Bearded Dragon - Aggro
Bearded Dragon - Eragon
Mexican Golden Red Rump

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  17:57:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, someone on here the other day said that one of their royals had just finished a fast of nine and a half months. Sounds like Donkey's one of those royals who takes his time fasting. Yes, I'd just keep on offering every fortnight, in the way he's used to, and I'd try him with a smaller prey item too; my Saada only ate twice in 6 months, but has now started taking rat fluffs (she should be on medium weaners; after a few feeds I'll get her back on to those.) Hope this helps - oh and congrats on Donkey joining the household.

Also congrats about Kaa by the way - brilliant news!

Edited by - n/a on 05/06/2011 17:58:36
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  11:07:47  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Bats, just offer every couple of weeks and try more than once in the evening when you do, he will no doubt eat when he is ready, It was one of mine that stopped eating for 9 and a half months since then she has had 6 rats (2 in one night) and has put back the weight she lost over her fast. It may be a good idea to weigh now whilst he is empty and then you have a reference point for future weighings.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000