Another feeding attempt failed !
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2011 :  17:14:53  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Another feeding attempt failed, but guess what happened !
Yesterday, i removed all the decorations in Blitz viv, except the hide he was under and the water tub, and put the hamster in.
but after 6 minutes, Blitz didn't show any interest and didn't came out of his hide, so i removed it.
after few minutes Blitzz made a move, i thought he will go after the hamster, but i was surprised when i saw him go to the water tub and start drinking, it was amazing thing, my first time seeing him drinking, i tried to take some pics but the dark environment didn't help.
anyway, he didn't show any interest even after he finished drinking.

And here's a pics and a video a took.

[URL=http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa415/Tawfik47/?action=view¤t=27052011034.mp4][/URL]

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2011 :  17:20:10  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry, but video didn't work :(

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2011 :  18:56:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can i make a suggestion, your hide is to big, by that i mean its to high, Royals like tight confined spaces, the lower the roof the better. if you have some old china bowls that you can use then just cut out a door way with a tile cutter or just use some small cardboard boxes.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2011 :  19:23:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, sorry to hear of this - better luck next time! Could be he's still fasting - my Saada's just the same. All the best.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2011 :  19:43:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
6 minutes? That not really long enough, if he came out he obviously caught the scent and came out to have a look and it was already gone. The ones I put in are dead but Duke will normally catch scent and come out within about 10 minutes but it may be another hour or two before he plucks up the courage to make the small journey to the rat. I wouldn't say leaving the hamster in for hours is a good idea but a bit longer than 6 minutes is going to be needed, just keep an eye out for signs of distress either in the snake or the hamster. That hamster you have has so far been the luckiest hamster in Syria, seems a shame to kill him now he's been through so much.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2011 :  19:53:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, was thinking that myself about old Hammy being immortal lol! Bad news for poor Blitz's empty belly though.

Go to Top of Page

Lucy1012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
82 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2011 :  21:25:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a thought as i know you have problems getting frozen mice, how about pre killed day old chicks.... I know they are not as nutrious (SP) as rodnets, but should be eaiser to get hold of and you can leave in the viv over night without fear of harm to your snake..
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2011 :  21:52:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good thought, Lucy, but sadly, for royals, chicks have about as much nutrition as pot noodles ... hamsters, which with chicks are the only available snake food in Syria, have the correct nutrition for a royal. Poor old Hammy ...

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2011 :  22:18:45  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
About hides, tommorow i'm going to change then to smaller ones.
Bob, i left him 6 minutes and Blitz in his hide and another 15 minutes after i left out the hide, so totaly it's 21 minutes.
anyway, i'm going to try feeding in a separete box next 10 day, and if that didn't work i'll try the chick prey, i know it doesn't have nutrition as much as the hammy, but i wanna know if the problem is with the hammy or with Blitz.
I liked the lukiest hamster in syria thing LOL , the imortal hammy was great too BATS
i started also to feel that this hammy is undefetable or curst LOOL ...

Go to Top of Page

scubadude
Yearling

United Kingdom
326 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2011 :  07:57:30  Show Profile  Click to see scubadude's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Good thought, Lucy, but sadly, for royals, chicks have about as much nutrition as pot noodles ...

I've spent quite a bit of time over the last few weeks researching the rodents v chicks debate and to be honest the above is quite a common misconception, the below links into a recent report from the journal of animal physiology and animal nutrition on the nutritional value of rats mice and chicks, and also even covers the issue of snakes getting addicted to a particular prey item.
http://glasgow.academia.edu/KevinArbuckle/Papers/397760/Suitability_of_day-old_chicks_as_food_for_captive_snakes
as you can see content wise there isn't a massive difference. the most common complaint about feeding with chicks is a fairly potent odour when the chick works its way through the system (which I can confirm, it could strip varnish )

1.0 Classic corn snake
2.3 Normal Royal
1.1 spider royal
1.0 Mojave Royal
1.0 Butter Royal
0.1 Pastel ph ghost Royal
1.0 Enchi Royal python
1.0 Pastel royal poss ???
1.1 Yellowbelly Royal
1.1 Cinnamon Royal
1.1 Fire Royal
1.1 100% het Clowns
1.1 Crawl cay boas
1.0 Hypo hog island boa
0.1 Hog island Boa
coming soon
0.1 Bumblebee

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.

Edited by - scubadude on 29/05/2011 08:01:34
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2011 :  11:51:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Scuba, haven't read the link yet (though I will) but after constantly reading on the forums that there was no real nutrition in chicks, I'm afraid I'd taken it on board as gospel truth. Chicken is well-known for being a low-fat meat; I regarded a rat as the royal equivalent of a good juicy steak! However, if the chicks were 'gut-loaded' with the correct nutrients, as crickets and locusts are for reptile feeding, that would up the nutritional value? Will be interested to read.

I did do some research of my own on the nutrition content of hamsters vs rats/mice when I first started reading about the snake food situation in Syria; though I could only find info about juvenile hamsters, their nutrition value is little different to rats/mice. Have just looked for that table on the net and can't find it - I ought to have looked up food value of chicks while I was at it, but didn't.

Interesting about the chicks - it could make life much easier for Tawfik and anyone finding it hard to source rodents ... umm, myself I think I'll stick to rodents, after reading about the end result of a royal's chicken dinner lol!

Tawfik, looks like the immortal Hammy is about to become a permanent member of your household!

Edited by - n/a on 29/05/2011 11:53:17
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2011 :  14:13:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blitz feels like chicken tonight Like chicken tonight. Chicken tonight.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2011 :  14:16:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - I've heard they're very cheep too!

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2011 :  15:08:32  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Chicken it is if that's what Blitz wants.
I just know that there is no harm if i feed chicks to Blitz but they are not good as much as humsters. that's all.
I think he is used to be feed by chicks and it's hard to change is meal to hamster, so i'll take it easy way and try to offer a hamster every while.
Actualy, there's no big different in price between chicks and hamsters here, so it's not that big deal i just want him to start eating.
LOL
Scuba, thanks for the link, as i said, now i can know that there's no harm if i feed him chicks - except that awful smell of the poo -

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2011 :  19:40:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a read of that report thingy and boy was it long winded, lol. Rats are more consistently (the variation was small compared to mice) nutritional but if Blitz does eat chicks and so long as you feed him an appropriate amount of chicks so that he begins to gain weight then there is no harm in feeding chicks. Its like when I first started researching cornsnakes it kept coming up that you should only feed mice but more and more I hear of rat fed cornsnakes etc, I think (only going slightly off course subjectwise) that a varied diet is going to be much better for any animal, maybe once Blitz is eating he will be comfortable enough in his new surrounding to maybe have a go at a hamster but I think food in his belly is a better idea than watching him slip down the slippery slope specially considering his problems with ticks and blisters etc, he may be quite anemic at the moment and not fully able to get up the energy to attack and kill anything.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2011 :  22:53:43  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That is exactly what i think Bob.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2011 :  09:40:13  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lol, was just looking back for old post in photo section and i found this if that hamster is with Blitz now, it won't last more than 10 seconds

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2011 :  19:14:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL ain't that the truth ...

Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2011 :  22:38:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Its like when I first started researching cornsnakes it kept coming up that you should only feed mice but more and more I hear of rat fed cornsnakes etc,
well my corn eats everything rats,mice,chicks,hamsters,pheasant,them multimammate things,but mainly mice.

As others have said 6 mins is to short a time,and to change that hide,Plus can't you get a smaller water bowl?as in height etc.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis

Edited by - boomslang on 15/11/2011 22:39:36
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic