New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Margwar
Yearling

United Kingdom
211 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2011 :  17:32:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me and the OH are setting up a breeding business/hobby and I'm trying to write a plan, mainly to show my parents (Potential investors) which includes pricing for a few morphs.
I've looked around on a few sites, including CPR and my local reptile shop, so now it's your guys turn!
How much would you be willing to pay for the following: (Male and Female prices please, all as hatchlings)
Pastel
Spider
Cinnamon
Enchi
Bumble Bee
Stinger Bee
Cinna Bee
Enchi Pastel
Pewters

Thankies!

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2011 :  19:01:21  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if it was what i wanted to pay myself, 1-10 quid but reilistically i would want to pay:

pastel: 120-m 150-f
Spider: 150-m 200-f
Cinnamon: 120-m 150-f
Enchi: 200-m 220-f
Bumble Bee: 320-m 350-f
Stinger Bee: 370-m 400-f
Cinna Bee: 320-m 350-f
Enchi Pastel: 500-m 550-f
Pewters: 500-m 520-f

these maye be quite low for some, but what i would pay for them, although would pay higher for certain royals as they may be more stunning

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

MrsA82
Yearling

United Kingdom
437 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2011 :  21:16:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pastel: 120-m 180-f
Spider: 200-m 250-f
Cinnamon: 200-m 300-f
Enchi: 250-m 300-f
Bumble Bee: 500-m 550-f
Stinger Bee: ***-m ***-f
Cinna Bee: ***-m ***-f
Enchi Pastel: 700-m 800-f
Pewters: 650-m 750-f

I watch the breeds on the dark side and have seen them at this price
All prices are cb10-11 and prices depending on examples of morph

2.4.0 Royal python
0.0.2 Cornsnake
1.1.0 Extreme red Albino Hognose
2.2.1 Crested Gecko
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
Go to Top of Page

Margwar
Yearling

United Kingdom
211 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2011 :  21:39:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did have a look around on the Dark Side, some of them I've under estimated, some over, like Enchis, are a good £100 less in my notes :P
Cheers though guys! I needa try prove to my parents, who have a basic understanding, that I can make money from this.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2011 :  21:42:09  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it all depends on the royal as well, some will look nicer than others, so will be worth more.
strange thing i find is people selling cinnamons for more than 200, i now alot of breeders that sell them at the same price as pastels, or just a little more

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Margwar
Yearling

United Kingdom
211 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  18:09:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

it all depends on the royal as well, some will look nicer than others, so will be worth more.
strange thing i find is people selling cinnamons for more than 200, i now alot of breeders that sell them at the same price as pastels, or just a little more

Aye, I've seen some cinnamons for a lot more, but some for the same as a pastel.

I think to begin with all the morphs would be the same price, maybe £20 more for a female, because to be honest, we aren't in it fully for the money to begin with, but as we grow, we'll start pricing more selectively.

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  19:11:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Margwar

Cheers though guys! I needa try prove to my parents, who have a basic understanding, that I can make money from this.

I`d be very reluctant to buy Royals believing that you can make money from them, having them as pets and selling some on is more realistic in my opinion. There are to many variables to believe that its a money making scheme-
Your going to need plenty of females, if you look on the dark side, its nearly all males for sale, this tells you one thing, everyone else is thinking like you.
Pick your morphs extremely carefully, some just wont sell. When i bought my pinstripe from a private breeder last year he showed me an Ivory, (beautiful little thing) that he couldn`t shift, told me no ones interested in them let alone all his Yellowbellies.
You`ve got to get them to the correct wieght, my eldest female was 800g this time last year, now she`s only 1200g, eats about once a month.
Will they even breed?
If they do your going to be hoping for good higher price morphs, but if you get one (say like me you have pinstripe + Bumblebee) like a spinnerblast do you sell it or think im keeping it for future breeding. You may end up with pinstripes spiders and normals.
If there was a big enough market then why do all the reptile shops also sell tropical fish etc?

What ever you choose i wish you well, but like many of us small time keepers we may have missed the boat by a few years.

Royals owned "lots"

Edited by - hodgie on 08/06/2011 19:12:50
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  19:18:24  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hodgie

quote:

What ever you choose i wish you well, but like many of us small time keepers we may have missed the boat by a few years.

this is so true, there is probably nothing you can think of that a higher end breeder is not already breeding to get.
if you wanted to get into a breeding thing, and become very high up, your best bet would be getting into something that is very new to the market, and then going from there

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Margwar
Yearling

United Kingdom
211 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  20:00:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, to be honest, breeding isn't just for a business, we want to do it because we enjoy our animals, the local pet shop have said they'll buy some of the offspring, later on after we have some experience, then we're going to look at breeding something a bit more 'exotic' (Viper Boas, Tree Boas and Pythons etc) but breeding Royals seemed the best way to get into breeding, if it goes well as a business then brilliant, if not, well that's what an electricians wage and administrators wage is for!
I appreciate all the advice, being in Cornwall makes it a little easier, as there are less breeders, for Royals any way. And as said, I really don't want to jump in at the deep end and try breeding something a bit harder, and neither of us like Corn snakes, so breeding them is out of the question :P

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  21:12:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good luck but think carefully. It's not just about undercutting the rest of the market.
You will need these people. not having a go just an observation

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Yearling

United Kingdom
455 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2011 :  13:04:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well when you get started give me a shout if your struggling selling some of your hatchies, im just over in plymouth so will deffo come and see what youve got! (bumblebees and spiders esp) ;)

1.1.0 corns (amel + carolina)
2.3.0 normal, fire, pastel and 2 bumblebee royals
1.0.0 jungle carpet python
Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2011 :  22:38:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, to be honest, breeding isn't just for a business, we want to do it because we enjoy our animals, the local pet shop have said they'll buy some of the offspring, later on after we have some experience, then we're going to look at breeding something a bit more 'exotic' (Viper Boas, Tree Boas and Pythons etc) but breeding Royals seemed the best way to get into breeding, if it goes well as a business then brilliant, if not, well that's what an electricians wage and administrators wage is for!
I appreciate all the advice, being in Cornwall makes it a little easier, as there are less breeders, for Royals any way. And as said, I really don't want to jump in at the deep end and try breeding something a bit harder, and neither of us like Corn snakes, so breeding them is out of the question :P

Going to give some input to this,I think its a great idea.Mainly cuz cornwall/devon is lame as i live in the same area,every petshop down near us,have a very poor selection of snakes.

:very rarely have i seen higher priced snakes,all seem to sell cheaper or easly to sell animals,ie normals etc etc.
:When i got my hog,i asked 10 shops to get me a hognose,price didnt matter,no one could be asked.even the bigger shops,stock just your standard snakes.
:Id love to see shops here seeing more morphs which atm they don't.

So i for one,think you would have a great customer base in cornwall,even if you just sold from your website.As the shops don't stock what you are planning to breed.

perhaps people around here won't pay £500/£1000 for a snake.I do and if i like a treat i have to buy from a breeder.
Same goes when i wanted a new panther cham,no shop could get me one.went online instead.

overall point,if you want something abit different you have to buy from up the line.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2011 :  22:32:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jonoandapril

well when you get started give me a shout if your struggling selling some of your hatchies, im just over in plymouth so will deffo come and see what youve got! (bumblebees and spiders esp) ;)

Hello from another Plymouth member.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

thistlereptiles
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  22:19:34  Show Profile  Visit thistlereptiles's Homepage  Click to see thistlereptiles's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I love my royal collection, and have quiet a few nice ones. (bought five new morphs this year)
I wish you well and good luck.
If you would like any help if you go ahead with your breeding give me a shout I would gladly help and give any advice I can.
Best of luck.
Lovely the point everyone has given you and I would say have a good think and what you want to buy to get started .

Royal python breeder.
Pies, pastals, mojave, fires, pewters , spiders etc etc etc
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000