Advice on female breeding size
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brad
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  18:35:22  Show Profile  Click to see Brad's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi all

I understand that a breeding female should idealy be between 1500g and 1800g but on average and depending on how often she is fed from a baby, how long does it take to get a female to get to breeding size? I don't want to power feed her but I would like her to get to that stage eventually. what are your veiws on power feeding?

1.1.0 Fire Royal CB10 Brian & Bella
1.0.0 Cat Samson

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  19:04:53  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
power feeding imo is bad. to me the snakes health is more important than the breeding of it. when you power feed it shortens the life of the snake, and can affect the fertility of it as well, and cause less eggs in the clutch.
in reality its about 3 years for a female to get to breeding weight, but it can be done in 2 years depending on the snake. my female is just over a year old, has been every 5 days up until she was 500 grams, and then fed every 7 days from then on, and she is now over the 900g mark. she could be ready for next year, but if not, then ill keep feeding her until she is, and wait. it doesnt bother me how long it takes, to me seeing the snake grow up is far more important than breeding it

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  19:23:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with danny power feeding does go on and will carry on regardless of this post but there is no excuse for it other than people putting profit before caring for their pets.....

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

Brad
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  19:34:51  Show Profile  Click to see Brad's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Totally! Sound advice! It takes as long as it takes! Rest assured guys both Brian and Bella are tret like king and queen in this house. Our lass would have my nuts off to feed em if they wernt.

1.1.0 Fire Royal CB10 Brian & Bella
1.0.0 Cat Samson
Go to Top of Page

Margwar
Yearling

United Kingdom
211 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  20:10:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not just about the weight, it's about them being mature enough as well.
I read 2 and half years onwards was a good age for them to be bred from.
The problem is, even with a rough guide of how long it could take, you can never really tell. Our 4 year old was 700g when she came to us a few months back, she's now at 1000g and has decided to stop eating.
They're unpredictable creatures, so yes, it takes as long as it takes lol

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2011 :  19:28:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots slow down for anything between 3 months to a year when they get to the 1000g mark.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000