New royal coming tomorrow! Any tips?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LucyB
Hatchling

50 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  09:49:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So my first royal python is arriving tomorrow.... I'm so excited!
I have a rub set up ready to go with heat mat, stat, digital thermometer, water bowl, aspen substrate, two hides and plenty of foliage for cover.

I know I'm supposed to leave her alone for a week before offering food, and other than water changes just leave her be until she has had a 2-3 feeds.

I also plan to put a sock in her rub that I have carried around with me for 24 hours so she gets used to my scent.

Is there anything else i can do to get things off to a good start? All i know about her so far is that she has had 6 consecutive feeds but very little if any in the way of handling, so I'm keen to get the handling off to a good start. My only other snake came to me as a well handled adult so am a total newbie to beginning handling!

fiestastlou
Yearling

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  09:57:02  Show Profile  Visit fiestastlou's Homepage  Click to see fiestastlou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I cant really offer any advise as u seem to have done everything right :D its gna be a very lucky snakey going to a good home :)
Just be confident when you handle her, usually they are very laid back :)

09 Royal Python normal - Cecil
10 Royal Python Spider - Skye
09 Amel Corn - Syd
10 Snow Corn - Jenny
10 Butter Motley Corn - Philip
Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  11:23:52  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would see if you can find out what the snake was eating prior to arriving if you can, saves offering the wrong item (rat/mouse etc)

IF the snake is due a feed I personally will drop feed even on night one. Can't hurt, this way the snake has the choice (I have found the journey can make them more likely TO eat) I understand people say wait X amount of time, but it hasn't caused me ANY issues in the past.

Aside from that, just enjoy a cool new pet.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  13:06:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats - you must be so excited (I remember lying awake, the night before Shahi came, deciding on his name.)

Everything sounds fine, and yes, as others have said, you sound to be all set.

Royals are probably the best snakes to handle, even when young and shy; they're not zippy or unpredictable like colubrids, for instance (jumpy corn hatchlings ...ohh!) Your little royal will be curled up in a chunky ball like a hedgehog, you can slip both hands beneath her and lift her out; she will hide her head at first, then an eye will peep out and her tongue will start flicking, and, slowly, the snake will uncoil and start to take an interest in you and her surroundings. Any slight movement may cause a flinching back of the head ...this is just royals; it's what they do, even adults. You haven't terrified the snake (though I always apologise to mine lol) Like any snake, some days they're friendly; others they just don't want to know, and they like to take things calmly and slowly ...a very relaxing snake.

All the best with your new royal.

Edited by - n/a on 13/06/2011 13:07:54
Go to Top of Page

LucyB
Hatchling

50 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  13:19:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am very excited! Have spent all morning picking out a name - 'Kinky'..... because as part of the tireless campaign to get my husband to agree to another snake I sent him daily pictures of nude models posing with snakes!!! I know i know..... desperate times but it clearly worked on a subconcious level because the snake hater finally said yes!!!!
Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  17:23:22  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LucyB

I am very excited! Have spent all morning picking out a name - 'Kinky'..... because as part of the tireless campaign to get my husband to agree to another snake I sent him daily pictures of nude models posing with snakes!!! I know i know..... desperate times but it clearly worked on a subconcious level because the snake hater finally said yes!!!!

sorry, when I first read that I read "sent him nude pictures daily" and started to wonder how to persuade the wife to do the same......

Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  17:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should post them on here lucy purely to allow all the other wives on here who want another snake to persuade there husbands

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  17:51:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm left wondering if Lucy isn't secretly planning on buying one of Kelf's boas for her next snake, with the excuse that when it grows a bit she can entertain husband with a live show in the bedroom ...

Edited by - n/a on 13/06/2011 17:52:54
Go to Top of Page

LucyB
Hatchling

50 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  18:13:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

I'm left wondering if Lucy isn't secretly planning on buying one of Kelf's boas for her next snake, with the excuse that when it grows a bit she can entertain husband with a live show in the bedroom ...

PMSL.... Although if i thought it'd work I wouldn't rule it out! I am 6 1/2 months pregnant though so it may not be the most attractive offer he'd ever had!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  18:13:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heheh , woohoo on new snake ! And I think I may try that tactic on my OH ! Lol ! U won't sleep tonite as u will be so excited !

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  18:44:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lucy at six and a half months pregnant it would seem your hubby doesn't need any props (snakey)lol I'm sure you could charm him just with your womanly figure

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

LucyB
Hatchling

50 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  18:46:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reptilemadd

Lucy at six and a half months pregnant it would seem your hubby doesn't need any props (snakey)lol I'm sure you could charm him just with your womanly figure

Is that what they're calling hormones and fat bellies these days??!!!!
Go to Top of Page

dpennington
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  23:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've only just got my first Royal and lots of people say stick them in a corner and leave them alone until they feed. Does anyone else support this? I've had mine 3 weeks and she still hasn't fed so I still haven't been able to handle her or weigh her etc.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  23:44:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I'd put them in RUB or vivarium they might not stay in the corner lol. But yeah until you have 3 consecutive feeds (a good sign they are over the stress of moving) then no handling other than when its absolutely necessary, daily water changes and just give it time to aclimatise to its new surroundings.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000