New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Margwar
Yearling

United Kingdom
211 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  10:46:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As some of you may know I got a new Female Royal a month or so ago, and she's just coming into shed. Now, I'm not new to Royals, so I think this is just me being a bit of an overprotective mother :P
But, she is spending all of her time in her cold hide, the temperatures haven't changed, the only real differences are her coming into shed and the fact the cold hide is a darker and smaller hide. My Male Royal doesn't tend to hide away in his cold hide when he's in shed, which is probably why I'm getting a little flustered over Serenity.
She was a bit of a rescue case to be honest, she's very underweight, she's only just started eating after god knows how long, it was a month with us, and I think possibly a lot longer with the previous owners. Her housing was awful at her previous place (Heat mat to the back of the wall, ungaurded household energy saving bulb. One piece of wood and a large water bowl) It's taken her a long while to settle in, and I guess a lot of this is just be being overly concerned that she's not happy in her RUB, before she was due to shed she would happily thermoregulate.

So, please put my mind at rest and just tell me she prefer the small dark hide because she's more vulnerable as she's in shed?

chay
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  11:08:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get another hide the same and put it in the hot end, see where snake goes then.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  12:59:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I agree with Chay - but I've been in this situation myself, or rather my snakes have, and, despite hides being identical, they've constantly preferred one end of the enclosure - and invariably the cool end.

I wouldn't mind betting that Serenity is just sluggish before her shed, and doesn't want to move about much. Also this is typical settled royal behaviour - I'm often quite surprised to see mine out of their cold hides, lazy little gits. Also they are all different, and Serenity's behaviour while in shed may be different to Margwar's.

However, I know how you must be feeling about Serenity after finding her in those bad conditions. I think we'd all feel paranoid and over-protective - those are normal royal owner feelings lol. All the best with her, and best wishes for a good shed.

Go to Top of Page

Margwar
Yearling

United Kingdom
211 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  13:45:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't get a hide the same >.< It's a cut down tub that had protein in (I'm not paying £30 just to cut a tub up) I wish I could , we have another bit from the same tub, but it's too small for her to fit in.
Judging by the shed the owner had from her, she looks like she shed pretty well.

When we first got her she got fixated on her Exo Terra hide, and refused to go into her bark hide, sods law two exo terras wouldn't fit in her RUB, and now she's loving the cut down tub, we don't have another one.... Bloody awkward Royals.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  14:02:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chances are that if the hides were the same she'd still stick in the cold end - my lot always do. In fact if I see one sleeping in the warm end I frantically check temps, and invariably they're fine ...I reckon you'll see a difference in her once she's shed. Or maybe not, if she's anything like my lazy lot ...

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  16:48:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duke is a cold end snake too. Ambient for them is where its at, the hot spot is just if they need it.

Go to Top of Page

Margwar
Yearling

United Kingdom
211 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  18:09:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After all this, I just went to give her a spray, and she's in her hot end >.<

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  18:38:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote