Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SurroundedByMadness
Yearling

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2011 :  20:49:16  Show Profile  Click to see SurroundedByMadness's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This morning I woke up to see Kaa in his waterbowl, which is quite strange because he's shy and i rarely see him out. After he went back into his hide I took out the waterbowl to change the water and found tiny black specks in the water, so I suspected mites. I couldn't do much at this point because I had to leave for college so I put the clean water back in the viv.
I got home this afternoon and checked him over, and theres mites all over my poor baby..
However, I was slightly confused because last night I fed him, and he struck and constricted in a matter of about 15 seconds, he ate the mouse extremely quickly. I always thought royals dont eat when they have mites?

Where do they come from? And why?

I'm going to the pet shop tomorrow (as im off college) to get some mite treatment stuff. But can you please give me some advise as to how I get rid of them? How long it takes? What steps I have to take, ect..

Any replies I get will be very much appreciated. Thank you

I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message. - Steve Irwin

Normal Royal Python - Kaa
Normal Royal Python - Donkey
Bearded Dragon - Aggro
Bearded Dragon - Eragon
Mexican Golden Red Rump

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2011 :  21:01:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get callingtons. It works.
As for where they come from..... Who knows, they just turn up and get in the way.

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Go to Top of Page

chay
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2011 :  21:04:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strip the viv bare just leave waterbowl and hides and use paper or kitchen roll as substrate it will cut down the mites hiding and breeding
Go to Top of Page

SurroundedByMadness
Yearling

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2011 :  21:21:23  Show Profile  Click to see SurroundedByMadness's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Welly

Get callingtons. It works.

Thank you I will have a look tomorrow and see if they do this brand. Is it a spray?

quote:
Originally posted by chay

Strip the viv bare just leave waterbowl and hides and use paper or kitchen roll as substrate it will cut down the mites hiding and breeding

Thank you :) I take it the smart thing to do would be to clean and disinfect the viv, hides and waterbowl before putting him back in? Can I give him a warm bath to drown the majority of the mites on his body too?

I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message. - Steve Irwin

Bearded Dragon - Aggro
Bearded Dragon - Eragon
Mexican Golden Red Rump
Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2011 :  21:30:10  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i did read about putting a drop of fairy liquid to break up the water surface will help drowned the little *******

i would get this as above as everyone raves about it
and can be applied on the snake they have a licence for it now but might not be on the labels if the cans old stock

this is the cheapest online even with the £3.99 p&p

http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/callington-mite-spray-100g.html

and there very cheap on all stuff really

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

SurroundedByMadness
Yearling

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2011 :  21:34:30  Show Profile  Click to see SurroundedByMadness's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah I heard about that too, I just wasnt sure if the person I heard it from was a reliable source lol.
Thank you very much for the link
Its at times like these where I wish I had stocked up on EVERYTHING! Haha

Bearded Dragon - Aggro
Bearded Dragon - Eragon
Mexican Golden Red Rump
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2011 :  23:08:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D3lboys-Morphs

i did read about putting a drop of fairy liquid to break up the water surface will help drowned the little *******

I dont knowwhere people hear this but washing up liquid is a contaminant, second only to bleach as a dangerous product in the kitchen. (you would`nt want to drink it yourself).
If you want to add something to the water then veg oil will do the job as its not poisonous in any way.
As to where do the mites come from, they are airborn. This may help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdBlrRTEEeM&feature=feedu

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2011 :  15:36:20  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lyclear (head lice treatment) mixed with water to a ratio of 15 ml:1 litre water. The active ingredient is permethrin, it will kill the eggs and larva as well as the active adults. Its the only thing that has worked for me but you need to stick to a rigid 3 week treatment program to break the life cycle.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2011 :  23:25:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hodgie

quote:
Originally posted by D3lboys-Morphs

I dont knowwhere people hear this but washing up liquid is a contaminant, second only to bleach as a dangerous product in the kitchen. (you would`nt want to drink it yourself).
If you want to add something to the water then veg oil will do the job as its not poisonous in any way.
As to where do the mites come from, they are airborn. This may help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdBlrRTEEeM&feature=feedu

I think they mean't the bathing water and not the water bowl for drinking but always good to clarify something thats not too clear.

Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  00:12:05  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes I ment in the bath water
Didn't think of someone might think I ment the drinking water sorry

now on facebook

Royal Pythons

Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  10:20:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its doesn`t matter if it bathing water or drinking water, you cant tell the snake not to drink, just because we use it to wash dishes doesn`t mean its safe to injest or get in your eyes.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

STICKS
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  16:34:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there sorry to here about the mits,have you rub if not take all the inside of the viv out plastic can be washed hides ect,sub dump it and wash the viv bleach very week solution kitchen roll as sub so thay show up.bath snake in luke warm water with olly oil table spoon
if you can treat the snake with spray all the better but clean and no sub if you have wood in the viv bath the wood with the same solution and cook it in the overn then treat if you can not then dump it and get a new bit.I had a bad invasion never went back to sub still use K roll and still treat viv after every deep clean
hope you get on ok keep us updated..

Edited by - STICKS on 01/07/2011 16:39:09
Go to Top of Page

SurroundedByMadness
Yearling

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  21:02:01  Show Profile  Click to see SurroundedByMadness's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What ive did last night was stripped down the viv, cleaned all the parts inside (i.e. hides, waterbowl) in boiling hot water with a weak bleach solution, wiped down the inside of the viv and put newspaper down (we had no kitchen roll) and put the 2 hides and waterbowl back inside after rinsing them well. I then sprayed the viv with Callingtons mite spray and waited 5 minutes untill i put Kaa back in.
I checked him over today, there were no mites in the water bowl, and only a few on him, so hopefully i caught them quickly and got rid of the majority of them. Just got to keep persisting now.

Bearded Dragon - Aggro
Bearded Dragon - Eragon
Mexican Golden Red Rump
Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  21:05:01  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They say treat again in 7 days to break up the mites cycle as there might be some that was not killed that are still eggs

now on facebook

Royal Pythons

Western Hognose

Edited by - Evolution Morphs on 01/07/2011 21:05:54
Go to Top of Page

SurroundedByMadness
Yearling

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  21:23:05  Show Profile  Click to see SurroundedByMadness's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah,the guy at the rep shop said to treat every 7 days, and mites have around a 3 week life cycle, so hopefully it wont take much longer than that. But who knows? Its all experience I suppose :)

I also put my name down for voluntry work at the extremely local rep shop I found 2 days ago that I never knew existed, its pretty awesome there, they had egyptian cobras, alligators, full sized boa constrictors and everything. Pretty impressive for a small shop in a deserted outside shopping centre haha

Bearded Dragon - Aggro
Bearded Dragon - Eragon
Mexican Golden Red Rump
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  08:41:30  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The life cycle is 3 weeks plus so repeat treatment weekly for up to a month to be sure, as the eggs wont be killed by the spray you are using.

They can travel a long distance and have even been found inside the cable of light fittings.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  09:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I had an attack of mites, I tried MITEOFF and that didnt help at all, I ended up registering with a vet and getting the equivalent of frontline spray. After a full viv strip down and treatment, substrate changed to kitchen towel. I never saw another mite after a few days of the treatment. I left the viv empty for 6 weeks to be sure that none came back.

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  09:12:37  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hope Kaa will get better soon.

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

SurroundedByMadness
Yearling

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  19:37:10  Show Profile  Click to see SurroundedByMadness's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thank you Tawfik
Yeah, the guy at my local shop said not to bother with MITEOFF because its a comlete waste of time and money haha. But sinse ive sprayed the viv and stripped it down, there seems to be barely any mites, only eggs. So im just going to keep cleaning regularly

Bearded Dragon - Aggro
Bearded Dragon - Eragon
Mexican Golden Red Rump
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  18:15:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SurroundedByMadness

Thank you Tawfik
But sinse ive sprayed the viv and stripped it down, there seems to be barely any mites, only eggs. So im just going to keep cleaning regularly

So why dont you remove your Royal for a month or 2 into a rub and put it in a different part of the house, that really would be the easiest thing to do?

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

SurroundedByMadness
Yearling

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  22:25:49  Show Profile  Click to see SurroundedByMadness's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I don't understand what your trying to say lol. It won't matter where I put the RUB surely? The mites are dead, but the eggs aren't, so wherever I put the RUB the eggs are going hatch into mites again so it won't make a difference lol

Bearded Dragon - Aggro
Bearded Dragon - Eragon
Mexican Golden Red Rump
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page