Loose thermometers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2011 :  11:03:25  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If anyone is making the mistake I did of casting a thermometer probe in under a heat lamp and being too lazy to stick it somewhere to a wall or wherever you need it, here be a lesson!

Was feeding pandora yesterday, she decided to eat from the back because she's stupid and played tug o war with the rats tail all over the vivarium, at one point I grew bored and left her to it (she took from 11:30 to 2:45 to finally eat it) when I returned at about 2 o clock in the morning she was still struggling but was finally down to the back legs (going backwards of course)and thats when I noticed she had rolled around with it and caught it's legs up in my loose thermometer. Immediately I tried to pull the thermometer out, I pulled it gently through the glass as I didn't fancy going inside while she was eating as I quite enjoy my face where it is!

Anyway as I pulled the thermometer wire obviously it twitched the rat and boom! she coiled it and began constricting again (got some awesome photos if nothing else) and at this point she had it tight in her coil and there was no way I'd get it off her. I had to sit and wait, watch and wait, wait and wait... and finally she got about halfway down, just about to clamp her jaw down on the part of the rat with the wire on it but before she could she had to move her coil out the way, I yanked the wire just as her coil moved and just before her mouth clamped down around it pulling it free. It was all very dramatic! :O

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2011 :  11:12:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG! I bet you were sweating!

Glad you got her sorted.

I've heard before of a snake managing to take down a stat probe with its rat - and my Shahi once managed to get a silk leaf caught up in his teeth while eating ...it's just amazing, despite our vigilance, what can happen. Glad it turned out all right in the end.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2011 :  11:18:00  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah she had a mouthful of substrate but I tend not to worry too much about that, I can hardly go in and scoop wood out of her mouth xD

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2011 :  11:19:21  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
After the thermometer was freed!

Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2011 :  11:50:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not a good time to be putting your hand in a viv either, unless you really fancied a tag :)

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2011 :  13:52:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It'd give a whole new meaning to taking your temp, but at least you'd know your viv temps were ok lmao

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000