Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wendigo
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  17:19:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So me and mom have been talking, and she likes the idea of breeding Royal pythons. I know we haven't owned royals for a long time, and breeding isn't something to do without properly thinking about it. Anyway, we are hoping to move to a bigger house, and dedicate a room to the royals with all equipment needed (rubs, incubators, freezer etc) so it won't be for a while at least.

Our first project that we'd like to do though is Albinos. And any money we have spare after breeding (buying new equipment etc if needed) we will save up for a pair of Lavender Albinos. and then eventually Piebalds, for Albino Piebalds.

Any advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. And the best equipment to buy, and brands.

Also price lists on the snakes so i know how much for savings.
I know this is all going to be expensive, and although i like the idea of money from breeding, i must tell you now, that i do not see them as money makers. They are pets first. And if they are unable to breed for any reason although it'll be sad, they will still be kept and loved just as much.

0.2.0 Normal Royal Python. Wendigo & Chepi
1.2.0 Dogs. Bedley,Nuna,Holly.
0.2.0 Hens. Orakiah & Astrid
1.2.0 Tortoises. Ishi, Pandora,Squirt.
0.2.0 Rats. Mouse, Flubba.

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  17:23:16  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lavender albinos are very expensive, hets can be in the thousands for a pair, so visuals would be mega expensive
pieds are about £600 depending on quality and % of white

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  17:28:18  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Seems best to start with co-dom and dom genes rather than recessives but obviously if you'rre doing it for fun rather than money just keep your focus on what you want to make :)

Goodluck with it all, i'm trying to do the same thing so maybe one day we can help each other, i'm hoping to be breeding my own piebald next year. :)

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Wendigo
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  17:30:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had an idea they'd be expensive. Obviously something so beautiful wouldn't be cheap lol Lavenders would probably have to come after the pieds then lol. Thanks for the help =)

Go to Top of Page

Wendigo
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  17:35:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be awesome Kelfezond n__n I would like to produce Albino Piebalds. And maybe in a couple of years if i want to breed as a living, introduce more fancy morphs =D

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  17:42:02  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wendigo

That would be awesome Kelfezond n__n I would like to produce Albino Piebalds. And maybe in a couple of years if i want to breed as a living, introduce more fancy morphs =D

i am working on albino pieds, am first going to produce a pied baby, and then the next year get an albino and start that hopefully along with other projects
i think it is very fun working with recessives as it is a long waiting game, but it is well worth it in the end

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  17:42:36  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Seems best to start with co-dom and dom genes rather than recessives but obviously if you'rre doing it for fun rather than money just keep your focus on what you want to make :)

Goodluck with it all, i'm trying to do the same thing so maybe one day we can help each other, i'm hoping to be breeding my own piebald next year. :)

wow next year, what are is your female at now???

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  17:43:38  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah i'm going to stick with my one recessive at the moment, axanthic. Plenty to play with there. The pieds are just a nice little addition

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  17:45:00  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Yeah i'm going to stick with my one recessive at the moment, axanthic. Plenty to play with there. The pieds are just a nice little addition

i still remember when you told me you would give me a nice discount on a female pinstripe het axanthic

sig made by stapey

Edited by - reptiledanny on 01/07/2011 17:45:08
Go to Top of Page

Wendigo
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  17:51:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

quote:

i am working on albino pieds, am first going to produce a pied baby, and then the next year get an albino and start that hopefully along with other projects
i think it is very fun working with recessives as it is a long waiting game, but it is well worth it in the end

I bet you're excited? You'll have to keep everyone updated so we can be green with envy lol

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  17:57:18  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

quote:

I bet you're excited? You'll have to keep everyone updated so we can be green with envy lol

wil not be until about 2 years before i can breed my two, and then it will be another 3 years after that before i get het albino pieds, and then another 3 years after that before i can produce one lol, so is an 8 year project, but its all part of the fun, and ill have other projects to keep me going through it all

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  18:10:53  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think the female het pieds at about 750-800 at the moment, hopefully another 12 months will boost her upto the breeding mark.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  18:17:32  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
wow, what have you been feeding her on to get that much weight gain in a year what a big girl, i remember last year i think it was november when she was about 350 grams, thats some serious wieght gain

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  18:53:47  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Haha to be honest i'm putting diablo and cleo on a diet, diablo was underweight and assist fed in september now he's over 800g I used to buy their rodents from a shop that didnt provide weights and I probably overfed a little but now i'm buying based on 6 weeks and weights so going to space diablo down to a feed every 2 weeks and lower cleos sized rat. Although diablo has never ever missed a feed and he's the first out his hide when the rats are in the room haha

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  18:56:34  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Although in cleos defense she is an early cb10 she was just underweight when I bought her, I remember she made lowest weight on BE's chart two months in a row

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  20:45:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wendigo, the only advice i can give is to get the females 1st, you`ve then got a few years to save for a male.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Wendigo
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  21:31:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hodgie

Wendigo, the only advice i can give is to get the females 1st, you`ve then got a few years to save for a male.

Yeah probably will. Might also buy young, as I don't need breeding size yet n__n gonna pay for my last set of driving lessons (240 pound for 10 hours) I've done 20 hours so far, and my instructor said I'm ready for my test now, but I'm making sure I'm very confident behind the wheel so I don't fail lol. After that, then I can go snake hunting =D

Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  21:58:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Goodluck with this wendigo, its a very slow process tho, if you miss pair and dont get the babies your hoping for, its a long while for the second attempt. Still, if it ends up breaking even you havnt lost anything :)

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

Margwar
Yearling

United Kingdom
211 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  10:15:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't read all of this, but I've seen a trio of 66% het Lavender Albinos for something stupidly cheap (My parents wouldn't invest in them though, so we missed out).
If you are willing to risk possible hets, then look into that.
We're going to be breeding this year hopefully, but we are starting off with our two normals.
I've said all along if it doesn't go well, at least we will just have more snakes as pets, it's not like a manufacturing business that goes bust where you've got thousands of let's say hoover parts that you're never going to get rid of.
The snakes will always be pets first, breeders second. Our female is only 800g at the moment, and may not make breeding weight by this year, if not it's no biggy, it's not like we've wasted money because we've just got a gorgeous snake as a pet instead.
If I was you, I would look into co-doms and dominants first, or the low end recessives, Axanthics hets are rather cheap, 100% as well, I've seen 2011 Males and 2011 Female for £75 and £150, respectively. Only problem with the ones I saw is they would have been from the same litter, which is something we'd rather avoid at the moment,
Another thing you need to remember is, if you want adults, the female especially will cost more, a proven female Pastel can be 2-3 times as much as a hatchling, if not more in some cases. So it's a toss up between getting a hatchling and spending the time and money growing it on, or saving and getting an adult.
Just remember, with a Normal Female and Co-Dom and Dominant genes there is a 50/50% chance each egg could be that Co-Dom and Dominant gene. And males are 99% of the time cheap than females.
That's the route we're going down until we have enough to get Female morphs, hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  13:08:42  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If you're going to have Albinos, Pieds and Lavs, then go for Lav Pieds (Dreamsicles) over Albino Pieds, worth so much more and more pretty to imo.

Go to Top of Page

Wendigo
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  21:10:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice =) I would still like to start with albinos, as I'd like one anyway, so if anything goes wrong I've still got one of my favourite snake morphs. I also read somewhere breeding Albino to Albino is a bad idea, that Albino to 100% het is better. But I also read that Albino to Albino is fine, so I'm a little confused. If I could have your ideas on this?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page