United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  17:00:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never been so nervous about holding an animal than this:

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  17:04:34  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh christ you've balls of steel bob. What if it crawled up your sleeve?!

Last night I had a chance to cure the spider phobia, my girlfriend was screaming in the other room, I ran in fully prepare to take on gun wielding rapists, turned out it was a spider so I ran back out and hid in the bathroom until my dad caught it. :p

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  17:12:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh LOL - the pair of you - you've made me laugh for first time today!

Aww, Bob, she's only a little nipper - ohh she's gorgeous!!

Kelf, when I was married, my large bearded husband used to regularly emerge from the bathroom ...'Lil, in the bath, there's a ...'

And in went Lil and captured the tiny critter. With her bare hands ...

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  17:22:14  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You're a braver woman than I!

It's their movement that freaks me out, I can't even kill them because in my mind they're like ninjaa and they'll dodge the attack, run up the bat, up my arm, in my sleeve and then .... Well I dunno what they do then but it's bloody scary I bet!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  17:26:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was more nervous about hurting or losing her and maybe a little bit prepared for a bite just in case but she was incredible, took me ages to persuade her back into her new tub which was the reason for the holding session, her tub wasn't very deep so her new one is a bit deeper and I got a piece of bark for her instead of a plant pot so it all looks very nice now. The strangest thing of all was I couldn't feel her on my hand at all. I put a leaf in front of her to make her walk onto it and she reared up a bit but other than that it was a success. I'm SO happy.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  17:32:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And they are Ninja's, you think with 6 eyes and hairs that pick up movement its not gonna see you coming, lol.I once saw one take out a room full of assasins with a chair! No wait that was Jackie Chan.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  17:33:45  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He probably learnt it from a daddy long leg

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  17:52:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha - it's just spider body language, I think. When I moved to this house I found a whopper in the back bedroom and I think he was both hungry and angry, when I accidentally flushed him out he reared and then jumped at me (this was just an ordinary house spider.) I liberated him into the great outdoors where I hope he found a mate ...he was probably short of female companionship too.

Ohh dear, I'm getting very fascinated with spiders now!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  19:35:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah you should get one BATS, they take up no room at all and dont even need a heat source (I must say this is a normally, my house is warm enough all year round to be fine for tarantulas and Crested Geckos).

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  20:04:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I confess I'm tempted - have got loads of suitable spare containers ...hmm...will see how things go ....

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  11:17:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*Puts hand up franticly* Me! Me! I want one!

She's so tiny, bless her : 3 And sounds like she'll be friendly enough.

It's the mess they make with their webs that puts me off, actually. I wanna be able to see in there and spy on them, but you can't do that when they've cocooned themselves in there! Does Trixie do that? I'm not sure all spiders do : /

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  14:41:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chileans dont really spin webs, they lay a bed to shed on but thats about it. the poop stinks and I hope when she is bigger it will be easier to find and clean but all in all she's a lovely little thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7i8SNuG4rI

I took a video of her stalking a cricket, terrible quality and I'm pretty sure you can make out my chewing in the background (eating a mozerella salad). You get the gist of her speed though. (Sorry Kelf and Danny).

Edited by - Lotabob on 08/07/2011 14:41:58
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  14:51:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's fascinating - she's like those tiny garden spiders - in fact I think they call them garden tigers. They're black and white and roam round hunting, and if you startle one it - JUMPS!!

Crickets don't stand much chance!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  15:00:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No not much chance at all she's pretty accurate normally, that first attempt was the first time I've seen her miss and that was a quickly rectified mistake. She reminds me a bit of the stripey garden spiders.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  15:30:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah - you mean those whoppers that sit in the middle of webs in autumn and are sort of chestnut brown striped - oh I love those, they grow MASSIVE.

Years ago, a neighbour of mine bought a bag of pickling onions and left them in the porch. Presently she noticed the cat, who'd undone the bag out of curiosity, batting one about. When she picked it up, she noticed it had an interesting stripey pattern to it, and put it on the mantelpiece to show her husband when he got home from work. The onion sat there quietly all day, but when husband had had his tea and was shown the interesting onion, he picked it up ...and ...

THEN ...

...the onion...

PUT OUT ITS LEGS...!!!

Edited by - n/a on 08/07/2011 15:58:57
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  10:20:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great story BATS, made me laugh X )

I've been bit by a Garden Spider before after picking up hedge leaves for my mam... lets just say getting bit by a hamster is less painful, OK? It HURT!

The little black and white spiders your describing are called Zebra Jumping Spiders. I have a few come in the house and and they all get called Zebedi! I love them, they seem so clever. I love the way they watch you move and tilt their heads to see you : 3
I actually have a pretty good photo I took (if dark) of a macro of a Zebedi I saw on my TV once, I'll find the photo and put it up on here somewhere : )

But back on topic, I like that video! Shows her speed well. It's amazing really how fast they can be when they want to be, isn't it? Mind you, wouldn't want to upset her would you? X ) Thanks for sharing.

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  09:44:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you are mad bob. i couldn't even have one in the house let alone hold one

i had a small one on my arm a few weeks back after being in the garden i jumped up screamed like a girl and shouted get it off, to which the gf said i will if you keep still

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  10:08:26  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Why did I click the link? I knew what it would be and I still clicked it, now I feel as if there is one climbing on me.

You're mad bob, mad.

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  21:27:04  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm so jelous, I love them and im told if i get one its certain divorce.....(theres a plan!) no i wouldnt do that! Have to rescue the big brave scotsman in the house regularly....sap!!!!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  21:55:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha - when I was married he claimed to be snake-phobic ...he's not - he's FASCINATED with my snakes now.

Just bring home a cuddly spiderling ... and cook steak and yorkshire pudding for tea (or whatever it is he likes.) He'll stay.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000