Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 arrghhhh Hygrometer = pain in the bum!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  11:18:56  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
having a bit of a nightmare humidity wise... well actually i don't think there's a humidity problem.. more like the thing measuring the humidity....

i have an exo-terra digital Hygrometer.... if i have it just in the open room (windows closed) it reads about 50% which seems fair enough as in the summer this room can feel a bit stuffy with the windows shut.

However... no matter where in Chancho's 18l RUB i put it, it's in the 80's!! I've tried adding more holes, every position ever in the rub... there's no spilled water anywhere, and he's on aspen with the correct temps.

Now my corns are in similar rubs and i only bought this Hygrometer when i got Chancho as it's listed on the care sheet here. They have been getting on fine in their rubs, (i know temps are lower for corns) but they aren't exactly gasping for air lol, but i'm guessing the humidity would be about the same in their rubs. i know corns are a bit more bullet proof in general... but 80's is too high for them really too, they'd be having skin problems or RI's surely? the'yre both eating, shedding (and pooping.... always with the pooping) fine

So are these digi-Hygrometers just a pain in the bum? Surely at 80-odd % humidity there would be condensation every where? the RUB is dry as a bone! i'm really confuzzelled!!!

is there a better way to measure humidity? i always thought digital was the thing to use!

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  12:44:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its airflow. If the air is moving the hygrometer is just measuring the air, if its not moving a right lot(as in a RUB) then the moisture in the air will settle onto surfaces including the sensor.

I have my Boa in a RUB and the hygrometer reads around 60% the trick is I only put the sensor in for 15 minutes to take a reading then take it out again. As a rule if the walls are covered in condensation its too humid, if not then its probably fine.

Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  19:25:05  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In all fairness 80% isn't actually too high. People forget that in the wild they live in damp burrows. I'll also state I have never had the need to check humidity for a royal yet.....

Aside from that there are only a few simple rules to controlling humidity. Air circulation, heat and dampness. Generate more airflow will reduce humidity. I assume your aspen is dry (as it always is) and that your water is on the cool side.
You can reduce the size of the water bowl (reduced surface area = reduced evaporation)

I think I still have my hygrometers from my BRB days, will measure what mine read for you tomorrow in my rubs and in my vivs, see what the difference is.

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  17:15:14  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

Its airflow. If the air is moving the hygrometer is just measuring the air, if its not moving a right lot(as in a RUB) then the moisture in the air will settle onto surfaces including the sensor.

I have my Boa in a RUB and the hygrometer reads around 60% the trick is I only put the sensor in for 15 minutes to take a reading then take it out again. As a rule if the walls are covered in condensation its too humid, if not then its probably fine.

oh cool, that does make sense, i'll try leaving it in for 15 mins like that and taking it out :)

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  17:16:35  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by karl

In all fairness 80% isn't actually too high. People forget that in the wild they live in damp burrows. I'll also state I have never had the need to check humidity for a royal yet.....

Aside from that there are only a few simple rules to controlling humidity. Air circulation, heat and dampness. Generate more airflow will reduce humidity. I assume your aspen is dry (as it always is) and that your water is on the cool side.
You can reduce the size of the water bowl (reduced surface area = reduced evaporation)

I think I still have my hygrometers from my BRB days, will measure what mine read for you tomorrow in my rubs and in my vivs, see what the difference is.

yeah the water bowl is as small as i can have it really in case he wants to soak when its shedding time :/ and it sits on the cool side. like you said they live in damp burrows in the wild... i'm probably worrying over nothing!

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000