newbie seeking advice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

toney0105
Snake Mite

26 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2011 :  22:41:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi, everyone i have been thinking for the past few months about getting my first snake. and was just wondering if anybody could give me some tips and does any1 know any good books on royals. i have built a viv 30x26x20 was told by my local rep shop this would be suitable for 1 adult royal. i also have a 20L RUB for when i get it.

just wondering what is needed heat,light,thermostat(really unsure on what type),thermometers, hydrometers.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanx

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2011 :  23:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a good size for an adult in theory though there are Royals out there that fret and dont eat in large spaces but until you get one you'll not know, best thing is be prepared to divide off a section of the viv if required.

Heat wise a bulb, guard and dimming thermostat is your best bet, you can choose whether to go down the Infra Red bulb (is visibly red) route or go for the ceramic heat bulb (no light). I have been using IR effectively but in my new viv i will be using ceramics but my Royal is a fuss pot and I think perfect dark will suit him better.

You're best off with 2 thermometers one in the hot bit one in the cooler/ambient bit and a hygrometer but onlky as a guide, they are not exactly the most accurate of things and go digital with all of the above the dial ones are cr-ubbish.

Royals are a great snake but I'll not lie to you, they dont do a right lot but I'm not going to say the cliche of they are problem feeders, they aren't a problem, they can and do fast but thats just what they do its not a problem for them even if it drives us owners batty with worry, they can be fussy about how they are fed but who cares if you have serve it in the dark at 11pm, with the rat slightly heated on a metal dish and then leave the room for a few hours (thats how mine eats lol) they eat and thats all that matters. If your after an eating machine super active snake then a corn snake is perfect but if your prepared to put in the work keeping a Royal can be very rewarding.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2011 :  02:05:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum. If you look in the general section, on Page 15, you'll find a thread By Stevethornley entitled 'Royal Python for my 8 year old's birthday' which thoroughly discusses starting from scratch with a royal. It's a very good thread - I keep suggesting it ought to be made a sticky lol.

Otherwise - as Bob has said - royals aren't the most active of snakes and they have their quirks, notably the breeding season when they don't eat (I look on it as a sort of hibernation when they live on their fat lol) but they are a beautiful snake and very rewarding to own. All the best.

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2011 :  15:40:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And about that book...

I've spent good $ on books but none of them gave quite the needed info than the "experienced owners" in royal python forums like this one.

Because - like Lotabob said - each royal has their own quirk and the book will say, "feed them a rat", and you come home and the royal you got just happens to be one that will only eat a mouse. That kind of stuff.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

toney0105
Snake Mite

26 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2011 :  18:13:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx every1 for the advice it is greatly appreciated.
thermostats what is the best 1 for it pp or dimmer i keep seeing ppl on here saying they use pp and others saying dimmer, i will be using a infra-red bulb for the heat.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2011 :  18:35:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi - a pp stat is the most accurate - BUT, if you use it with infra-red, the thing will flash on and off like a lighthouse ...

I use infra red with dimmers, and find they're fine.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2011 :  19:07:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would go only slightly the other way, dimmers are most accurate (there isn't much in it though, if anything, though dimmers are more expensive as they are more complex inside))and have a constant current so the heater isn't on/off/on/off all day long, the down side to dimmers though is they buzz a bit (or a lot if the bulb is heavily dimmed) but I barely hear them anymore. Dimmers can run anything, pp's can't run anything emitting light unless you want a disco.

I cant sing the praises of Habistat Dimming stats, they hold a perfect temperature, never need any adjustments and as all habistat stats their probes and wires are black so easy to blend in.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2011 :  19:43:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha - I always thought it was pps which were more expensive and more accurate lol! Just looked it up and you're right re expense - yeah my dimmers buzz a bit but not so you'd notice.

Go to Top of Page

toney0105
Snake Mite

26 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2011 :  17:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry for being a pain every1 was wondering what watt infra-red bule 75 or 100 i will be buying a dimmer stat to go with it.
thanx
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2011 :  17:41:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not at all - it's better to ask. Your viv's a 2'6", right? 75w will be fine, but for extra reserve of power you could use a 100w (the stat will keep it at the right temp.)

Go to Top of Page

toney0105
Snake Mite

26 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2011 :  17:50:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yep it 2'6. Thanx for the help every1 really appreciated. can't w8 to get my snake gonna get everything else sorted first. i will up load some pic's of it when i get.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000