New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ballgirl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2011 :  19:57:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that's probably the wrong term for a male, but didn't know what else to call it!

I have a male yellowbelly CB2010. He has only eaten one rat since early April. That was on the 27th April. He's in a 12L rub (moved down from an 18L to see if it's a space issue even though he ate fine in that for 3 months). He's been with us since January and fed very well on rats until April when he suddenly stopped for 3 weeks. Had a rat on the 27th but nothing since, doesn't even give the rat a sniff any more.

He's really active from about 5.30pm until god knows what time in the morning, basically trying to escape his rub. Always trying to find a way out. From what I read on other forums, this could be because he's trying to get out to look for love, but then isn't it the wrong time of year for this? We do now have a female in a rub next to him, which we have had since the end of May. Could it be her that's doing this to him? (I realise he hasn't eaten since before then, but he's definitely been a lot more active over the last few weeks. Do you think he can smell her?

I'm going to separate them into vivs next weekend - in their rubs still. I am putting his rub in on it's own because it's slightly bigger than my other 2 (male and female in their own 9L rubs, both feeding fine). Temps and humidty etc is identical in each rub and I have 2 perfectly feeding royals and he was feeding fine even when he was in an 18L rub, so I don't think it's an environment problem.

Not too bothered at the moment as he hasn't lost much weight (didn't lose any for weeks although has started to lose a bit now) - he was 425g when he stopped eating and is 395g now, nearly 4 month on.

I'm just a bit confused because I didn't think it was the right time of year for this? Any ideas? Just been reading through threads on here and you talk about fasting - how do you know if he's just fasting? In your experience do Royals fast at any time of the year, not just over winter\breeding season?

Thanks

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2011 :  04:14:56  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Im far from an expert, but it could possibly be that he is intimidated by your female or too interested in her and not food.

It might help to either move 1 of them into a different room or take him into a different room with a feeding box to feed.

Hope this is some help, good luck

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: