Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  01:13:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That holder you have is the same as one i had..It has like a 1 inch bit of plastic,like a cone that screws into the top of the holder?So it can attach to the cage it came with?

Anyway you will have to remove it,or else it wont sit flush to the top of the viv.then bend and tack the wire to the top.or drill a hole and have it dangle,then secure the wire outside,so it can;t fall.

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=708

holder like this is far better :)

And a 100w ceramic in that little spot bulb cage.I fear the bottom might get very hot indeed.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis

Edited by - boomslang on 03/08/2011 01:15:56
Go to Top of Page

SaltyTurtle
Yearling

155 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  01:21:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Boom.

I think I know what I'm doing now, still seems odd to have a heat source so close to things! Maybe I should have been a fire fighter!

I think by hook or by crook, and £300 odd pounds later, I can make this little bugger a half worthy home!

No doubt I'll be back asking for more help on this in the next few days, but thanks a bunch mate, and all the others. I'm finally getting this whole shebang sorted!

Have a good day tomorrow, y'all!

Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  01:27:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Won't the bulb still be a foot or so of the floor?if its a two foot viv.Aslong as the fake plants etc don't touch the bulb nothing will catch fire hehe.

And np you're very welcome

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis

Edited by - boomslang on 03/08/2011 01:29:25
Go to Top of Page

SaltyTurtle
Yearling

155 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  23:06:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just spent the evening dismantling my home made guard with pliers!

Now it's all in pieces in the garden and the heater is 'naked'. You're right, the viv is 21" tall almost, and so I could have just about got away with it, since with the new 40w ceramic I got & tried today, it gets nowhere near as hot as the 100w mother.

I may redesign the 'cage' from a different (smoother) mesh and try again, or most likely, but a ceramic bulb holder and do it the way described in that link..

Viv arriving tomorrow all being well. Should be built up, siliconed and ready to rumble by the weekend all being well!

Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  23:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
but a ceramic bulb holder and do it the way described in that link..
Yeah it may seem like wasted money and a wasted holder etc,But buying the cord and holder,like the one in link,will save you alot of time and effort.

Plus you can always keep the exo terra one as a spare,It might come in handy.or sell it on ebay

get the guard and which type of bulb you want to use right now.Pick either ceramic or Red bulb and run with it.And don't bother with the heatmat like you asked in your other post.. This is how your holder is best used.

So save yourself all the headache and get the other one

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

SaltyTurtle
Yearling

155 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  23:37:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am going to, some dude on ebay does 10 packs of ceramic holders, with MY track record I think that might be a good call lol!

Seriously I'll get something like that, and like you say, keep the exo-terra for a spare.

P.s it's not the thang in the pic you sent me with the old helmet cone thingy, it's the lose wire framed jobby.

I may be able to salvage something from it by removing the neck of the wire gaurd (if possible) and using it screwed or cable pinned to the roof of the viv. Then again I may just get the damn normal thing & screw it on. I'm even going off the idea of building my own cage, since the 'real ones' are only about £10-15 and although they look way too small to me, seem to be fine by users' accounts!

I've already burnt the whole budget 6 times over and counting, but hey, it's only money! And at least I've got enough spares to help Percy survive a nuclear winter!!!

Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  23:55:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
P.s it's not the thang in the pic you sent me with the old helmet cone thingy, it's the lose wire framed jobby.
Yeah i no,Was just showing what the one you have.Should be used like.

Do you have a link for the ones on ebay?

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

SaltyTurtle
Yearling

155 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  01:15:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well if you go to ebay and search for these item numbers...here are my options.

1. "pukka" branded thing which I'd have to hook/staple to roof of viv.

2. "steptoe & son pottery class efforts" apparently good for 1000w or 4 times what I've got?!

or

or

Varying degrees of usefulness and dodginess!

Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  01:39:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yeah branded,and it has that huge bit of plastic on top,have to mess around,trying to fix to top of viv.Always fought they would be better having a bracket,so you could screw them on.rather then dangle type of thing.

quote:

what about that one?get some cable and a bracket and just screw it on :)he/she sells heat resistant cable to.But upto you m8,I wouldn't buy something like that from ebay,unless it was a known shop.

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  02:13:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have alook at this,this is how you install the dangle type ones.bracket is sooo much easier lol.

So that way or one of these.which you can screw in or hang via a chain.

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis

Edited by - boomslang on 04/08/2011 02:21:41
Go to Top of Page

SaltyTurtle
Yearling

155 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  17:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks mate, a lot of work's gone into helping me on this one!

I'll give all the options some thought. I'm leaning towards screwing my exo terra thing (with some light gauge mesh round the wire frame) to the roof of the viv. I'm hoping the on/off switch comes apart so I can dosconnect the wire the lamp side of the switch, feed it through a drilled hole in the roof of the viv, then reconnect it to the switch and therefore plug, SIMPLES!

I think I'll have the headroom to do this, and due to the sheer distance from the lamp to the mesh, it aint gonna get too hot, 'innit'.

Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  20:28:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't you take that wire gaurd of the exo terra? Then just take the wires out from the holder,pass them through the hole,rewire into holder,then bracket it on the roof? Without having to drill through the top?
Then just buy a gaurd and job done?

the on/off switch,will most likely be a sealed unit.

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

SaltyTurtle
Yearling

155 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  22:22:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The on/off switch was open-able, but the live wires were soldered onto the switching mechanism and the neutral ran through uninterupted to the side, so I came up with a better idea.

First I used some really light mesh I bought today from a steel stockholder to cover the wire cage, then (after building my new Vivexotic VX24 that arrived flat packed today, I passed the wire (pre-switch, lamp side) through the curved hole they leave at the top of the back panel, then re-attached & fixed on the roof, before going to town with the old Aquarium sealant.

My hands are now going to be waterproof for the next 40 years!

That stuff is vile! A mixture of white spirit, swarfega and washing up liquid (the breakfast of champions) finally got most of it off, but my hands smell like a melt down at a plasticine factory, and I'm not handling Percy till it wears off.

So now I've got a sealed, heated (I'm going to attach the lamp & new light weight cage to the rear, right hand corner with some wood screws) and almost ready to rumble viv!

When the sealant's cured, hopefully tomorrow as it's so warm, I'm going to bake off some Orchi-Bark in the oven ( if it's necessary?)
then start filling the viv up with hides and foliage and logs etc (can I use a seasoned silver birch trunk I've got, I was saving it for firewood, but could cut it up with the chainsaw and use it as a 'feature'?)

Then a bit of faffing around to get temps right etc, and all being well he can move in after his next feed at the weekend.

Phew!!

Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  22:42:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
can I use a seasoned silver birch trunk I've got, I was saving it for firewood
Theres about a million posts,On using wood from the woods etc.Some people say it needs cleaning/treating etc.others that it don't need cleaning/treating etc etc.

Theres nothing in the wood or bark that can harm the snake.as long as its not Poison oak or another poisonous plant etc.Or it wasn't collected from the forest outside chernobyl.So yeah depends where the wood is from,ie driftwood which would need cleaning.

So is the lamp setup and in the viv now?if so post a pic,id like to see it LOL.

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis

Edited by - boomslang on 04/08/2011 22:43:54
Go to Top of Page

SaltyTurtle
Yearling

155 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  23:04:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure I like the sinister 'LOL' at the end there!

No I can't take a pic of the final result, because the silicon isn't dry yet, and I wanted to get that all dried out before I screw in 'The Heat Beast'

I might run down and grab a shot of the new 'cladding' if you've run out of Live at The Apollo videos to watch on Youtube...

Hold on..

Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  23:23:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'm not sure I like the sinister 'LOL' at the end there!

And okay,picture of the new improved heat lamp and mesh is welcome.

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

SaltyTurtle
Yearling

155 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  23:28:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Note, light provided by LED torch under ceramic lamp enclosure, Screwfix catalogue out of date, and no, the cable won't be slack when all 'Scmeistered' into position and nipped up, tight.

*Awaits the mockery*

Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  23:41:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh ok :) So can't you take the wire guard of the holder?then just make a mesh cage,from the mesh you have?
that limits your space abit in that small viv.
And how do you plan to change the bulb?

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

SaltyTurtle
Yearling

155 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  23:57:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you look closely at the PREVIOUS picture, the mesh cover is a much lighter grade mesh, and the bottom can be unfurled easily with some pliers after my 20,000 hour bulb packs up, leaving me time to maybe re-design it.

Space wise, I have no less room between the bottom of the heater than in your set up, but my guard offers a greater 'exclusion zone' and takes up a tiny proportion of the headroom, considering it's a Royal who barely comes out to play, not a lizard or such like.

The heater and gaurd take up less than 1/8 of the viv, and at 24" x 18" x 21" I'd hardly call it small, for a hatchling royal??!!?

I've done my best, and let's face it, it's a lot better than the RUB-a-dub-dub brigade who just wang 'em in a lunchbox, slap a heat mat on a mat stat and go spend the change on beer.

Beginning to wonder if I shouldn't have just done that!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  00:40:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looks alright to me, the mesh isn't the strongest looking but the snake couldn't get round it to squeeze it so there wont be any climbing up there. You've done a good job.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000