Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  17:24:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this is a little random, and some might not approve.
My mothers cat has had kittens and one has died. Not wanting it to go to waste i joked i'll feed it to sabre. Returning nature to nature etc.
But in reality i could. It's the right sort of size. If she would or not is a different matter.

Anybody see any reason why not? Unadvisable?

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa

Edited by - Welly on 02/08/2011 17:25:59

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  17:32:41  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Questions like this are exactly why people hate us snake keepers, you shouldn't go around feeding the single cutest animal on the planet to a snake because you just shouldn't .

Yes you probably could feed it to him, just like if my nephew died I could feed him to pandora but that doesn't mean I should :p

And this coming from a cat hater lol, you wait till bats gets over here with her baseball bat!

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  17:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Questions like this are exactly why people hate us snake keepers, you shouldn't go around feeding the single cutest animal on the planet to a snake because you just shouldn't .

Yes you probably could feed it to him, just like if my nephew died I could feed him to pandora but that doesn't mean I should :p

And this coming from a cat hater lol, you wait till bats gets over here with her baseball bat!

Lol, i know what you mean. Curiosity has got the better of me. My ever quest for knowledge.

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  18:01:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Umm - before I read Kelf's post I was going to say - if the mother cat was healthy, no parasites, etc - then why not?? As you say, Welly, returning nature to nature. If you buried the little thing in the garden it would be infested with coffin flies and eaten by maggots and eventually decompose.

My only reservation would be - if the snake would take it, and as long as the snake accepted other prey afterwards - but many of my lot switch from rats to mice and back quite easily (keep royals on rats of course.)

Don't see a problem.

Kelf - you're winding me up again!! (Glad to see you getting feisty, you bugger! All the best!)

Edited by - n/a on 02/08/2011 18:03:34
Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  18:25:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldnt purely for the reason of not knowing what the cat died from.

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  19:13:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just had a look and its too big anyway.

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  19:18:48  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think your royal would Purrrrrrrr fur a rat ;) anyway

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  19:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GMac

I wouldnt purely for the reason of not knowing what the cat died from.

Having bred cats, I know some kittens just do die at birth - as long as the mother is healthy, there is usually no infection/danger to other animals - sad, the newborn just doesn't make it. Sometimes it's genetic, or even hormonal. which need not concern other species such as herps.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  20:32:42  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't think the issue is practical it's a morale choice. Yes it's returning nature to nature but please llet's try not to dondemn our hobby in others eyes anymore than we need to, taking on rat lovers in turf war is one thing but kitten lovers outnumber us fifty to one lol

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  20:55:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Miaow!!

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  21:02:51  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Most kittens and puppies are born with worms and probably other parasites that they can deal with and we can get rid of but i wouldnt want to have to give cat worming pills to a snake!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  16:37:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the moral issue is exactly the same as people from the US or the UK hating on Filipinos and Chinese because they eat dogs there.

I mean - a lot of Filipinos are so poor they only get to eat if they can catch fish - if they come home from fishing empty-handed they get to starve that day. There are no animal shelters or anything like that to control stray dogs. So, they see a stray dog, they get to eat that day.

But, even with that cultural picture, eating dog meat is still looked down upon. Dogs are to be buried humanely.

Same as the cat. Yes, we don't get to feed the cat to the snake. There's just something eeeewww about it. And I can't tell you why it is that way except for what Ghandi says:

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals"

or something to that effect.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose

Edited by - anatess on 03/08/2011 16:43:04
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  00:51:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a break, have a dead cat!

Go to Top of Page

SaltyTurtle
Yearling

155 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  01:04:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lolwut!

That's kinda good. You should think about a career in advertising Lotabob!

Go to Top of Page

Hatchling

90 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  20:46:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

Have a break, have a dead cat!

Nearly snorted my drink everywhere reading that, hilarious!

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
Hatchling

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  23:37:50  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Umm - before I read Kelf's post I was going to say - if the mother cat was healthy, no parasites, etc - then why not?? As you say, Welly, returning nature to nature. ...........

That^^^

I personally would have no problem feeding a dead kitty to one of my snakes.
However I wouldn't do it if the kitty was stillborn as there is a greater risk of bringing whatever infection killed the unborn kitty to the snake.
If it died due to simply being the runt, or mummy cat laying on top of it and suffocating it, then I would.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  17:40:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Umm - before I read Kelf's post I was going to say - if the mother cat was healthy, no parasites, etc - then why not?? As you say, Welly, returning nature to nature. ...........

That^^^

I personally would have no problem feeding a dead kitty to one of my snakes.
However I wouldn't do it if the kitty was stillborn as there is a greater risk of bringing whatever infection killed the unborn kitty to the snake.
If it died due to simply being the runt, or mummy cat laying on top of it and suffocating it, then I would.

I wouldn't. Just like I wouldn't feed my pet dog to my snake or my pet snake to the fish. I don't even feed my pet rat to my snake.

If some cat forum would get a hold of this thread, there would be a fight going on.

0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
Go to Top of Page

Welly
Yearling

United Kingdom
423 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  17:53:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blimey im surprised this is still going. As far as i am aware it was a runt. Died naturally.

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  21:52:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Welly

Blimey im surprised this is still going. As far as i am aware it was a runt. Died naturally.

It is an interesting question. At least I'm interested in it.

It's really made me think.

I don't know - even if it dies naturally, I think cat lovers wouldn't like them used as food, unless it was being bred for food.

Okay, so, when I was about 12 years old, we had one of our family dogs got out and got hit by a car. So my dad was going to take the dog and give it to these guys. I can't be sure but I think they planned on processing the meat to feed their game cocks (okay, so it is also legal to put 2 roosters in an arena to fight - the country is quite messed up).

My mom and dad had such a fight that I went and sneaked into where the dog was and hurriedly buried the dog.

But now... I'm thinking to myself... I have pet rats. A boy and a girl. I will be very upset when the rats die if my husband feeds them to the snake.

BUT... maybe this is hypocritical. Because, these same rats are making babies... and all the babies go to the rat rack that is used to feed the snakes.

So, I'm thinking to myself... why is it okay to feed the babies, but not the parents? Is it because of the "pet" status that these rats have? I mean, they're like our children. They were raised specifically to be a member of our family. The baby rats - they're bred specifically to be snake food. So, does that make a difference?

I'm in a dog forum too - I have pet dogs - and the main thing these guys say to new members is to feed the dogs premium dog food because - the generic kibbles at the grocery store are made from dead pet animals from the kill shelters among other things.

I don't know. It would be really cool to get a more in-depth discussion on the moral issue of this particular topic. I mean - the UK has a lot more pet "sensitivities" than the US if I base it on the number of legislations you have on animal cruelty and the like. So, you guys should have an interesting viewpoint on this one. I think.

0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  22:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good god - that info about kibbles chills my blood!

Yes - if one of my cats died, no way could I feed it to a snake, supposing I had a snake big enough. That cat is a person.

But a still born kitten (and few stillborns carry infections/parasites unless the mother has) hasn't lived and therefore it's possible to feel un-attached to the little thing, even though you can still feel pity.

However - hell, when I die, if my body can feed a few snakes or other carnivores - why the hell not eh? I won't be in the thing, and it's got to be disposed of somehow. Frankly my dears I don't give a ****!

Edited by - n/a on 12/08/2011 22:06:38
Go to Top of Page

SaltyTurtle
Yearling

155 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2011 :  01:03:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh just let him eat the bloody thing, cats are the devils dingleberries anyway, and it's just nature's way of telling them, THEY SUCK!

Edited by - SaltyTurtle on 13/08/2011 01:04:27
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000